Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jeremiah256

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2008
Southern California
Switching to Windows is not the solution.

Be patient. Apple has underscored their commitment to the Mac at WWDC. macOS is getting some incredible new technologies and innovations that just dominate over anything else out there. macOS is more secure, offers greater stability, better performance, and seamless workflows across all your devices.

The rumors suggest the refreshed MBP line coming soon is going to offer some of the most compelling advancements in the history of the product line. If you buy a Dell now, you'll regret it very soon when the new MacBook Pros are unveiled.
I think the problem is, is that most would have just been happy with Apple just slapping Skylake and TB3 in the current chassis. No need for revolution, just evolution.

kevinkyoo

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2016
Nooo0 you guys will regret not waiting for the new mbp!

I will regret not having a computer to write research papers, lol. I mean, I'm going to buy an Apple product anyway since its laptops are still the best imo, but I would've spent it on Apple's website than BH Photo Video.
[doublepost=1465881047][/doublepost]
I think the problem is, is that most would have just been happy with Apple just slapping Skylake and TB3 in the current chassis. No need for revolution, just evolution.

That is exactly it. Imagine the 13" MacBook Pro with Skylake, TB3, and 12 hours of battery. 15" with 10-11 hours. 13" MacBook Air with 14-15 hours. I'm drooling.

ssong

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2015
London, UK
I really wish people wouldn't say this - it makes zero business sense. Here are some rough numbers to illustrate why:

Apple sold around 18 million Macs last year, generating about $23 billion in sales. Apple's share of the PC market is around 7.5% (and growing). There are around 240 million PCs being sold per year at the moment and the total market is worth something like $200 billion.

Even if the PC market halves over the next 10 years that still means sales of 1.8 billion PCs over the next 10 years. If Apple can grab 10% of those sales over the next 10 years, which is doable, it stands to make sales of $230 billion over the next 10 years. Sorry, but that's not small change, even for Apple. If they really pulled their fingers out of their asses and took 15% of the market, and PC sales remained stable at today's numbers, they could make sales of $460 billion over the next ten years. But they need to fight for that, which they are clearly not doing at the moment.

The Apple Watch, by comparison, is selling around 10 million units a year, at let's say $400 each on average, which means $4 billion in sales per year. And these sales are FALLING drastically (much harder than PC sales). See:

2A4FEB7400000578-3152514-image-a-22_1436291984735.jpg

So no... it makes NO SENSE for Apple to focus on watches instead of Macs, unless you think the watches will magically start selling at least 10x more than they do today. Right now they are ignoring a cash cow to focus on a failed project.
I actually beg to differ. Imo you justified why apple would care less about macs.

Despite the general pc market gradually decreasing and pic sales falling, Mac sales have made small gains and that's despite the fact they're selling outdated hardware, most consumers in apples target segment wouldn't care about what's inside as long as it works and flashy updates to the OS and back to school promotion would be enough to keep that trend going.

However, with Apple Watch intended to be the part of the future, it would be worrisome for Apple to see sales drop, therefore they are further integrating it to the ecosystem to make it seem essential and finally releasing OS updates that should have been there from the start. I expect watch 2 to have a massive marketing push.

So yeah, Apple doesn't need to care about macs to sell em, while they will care about the watch to sell more.
[doublepost=1465882145][/doublepost]
Seriously.... Tim Cook is a freaking retard. I don't care if he is a well educated entrepreneur with global fame and prestige. Looking from recent history, it is obvious that Apple is going towards more "for-profit" road rather than being an "innovator". Tim Cook is just a greedy mother fu**** who likes to play games with his loyal customers
Since when is Tim an entrepreneur?

JamesMcFlyJR

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2016
hey guys, im planning on either getting a 12in macbook or the new 13in macbook pro (in october). Right now a guy offered me $900 for my 15in late 2013 Macbook Pro Retina (2.0gdz, intel iris, no dgpu, 8gb ram, 256gb ssd). Do you think this is a good trade for me?

kevinkyoo

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2016
hey guys, im planning on either getting a 12in macbook or the new 13in macbook pro (in october). Right now a guy offered me $900 for my 15in late 2013 Macbook Pro Retina (2.0gdz, intel iris, no dgpu, 8gb ram, 256gb ssd). Do you think this is a good trade for me?

Don't bother with the 12in MacBook. Also, look up on eBay's completed listings for your specific computer model, and see how much those computers sell for. If he's paying in cash, factor in the fact that eBay and PayPal take approximately 13% from you (This is not counting costs for shipping, insurance, etc.).

JamesMcFlyJR

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2016
Don't bother with the 12in MacBook. Also, look up on eBay's completed listings for your specific computer model, and see how much those computers sell for. If he's paying in cash, factor in the fact that eBay and PayPal take approximately 13% from you (This is not counting costs for shipping, insurance, etc.).

im in college right now so the 12in macbook is really appealing to me. If i sold on ebay, I would have to sell for around $1050, which from what ive seen is pretty hard to get. 2015 models go for around 1200 on ebay.

how do you find completed listings?

j1104638

Suspended
Dec 26, 2015
Guys, I want to be real clear when I say that:

Apple created an entirely new file system that works for every device they make.

This is in addition to the new Programming language they made. But sure, Apple is just spiraling down in complacency.
So what?

1. Linux community creates one like every 1-2 years. And it's works across many more devices.
2. Apple promised to create file system for like 10 years if I recall right. So the problem is the same as with Macs - too late to be something good, just mediocre at this time.
3. What is the use for such a filesystem if you don't have access to it on most devices? API compatibility layer is the only thing which is really necessary.
4. It lacks crucial features like Time Machine. So it's like 2-3 more years until it becomes full-fledged product.
5. Considering p. 3 users will not directly benefit from the new file system. Rather they will benefit from the features Apple will be allowed to build on top of it (being the only entity to access it low-level enough). So it's some more time waiting.

As for Programming language I would mostly agree with you. There are some downsides but this is indeed inspiring.

Last edited:

Uni Grad

macrumors 6502a
Aug 28, 2015
Bloomberg News
Mmmkay... warming up in acquisitions (e.g. LinkedIn, Minecraft). lol

It's okay to be frustrated with the wait but some people need to keep common sense. Any reasonable person wouldn't be expecting Apple to announce new hardware in WWDC.

No I wasnt expecting hardware at WWDC, maybe a 10-15% of hope, but I know better than to disregard Gurman.

Its the software thats lacking for me. macOS Sierra, albeit wonderful, just feels like mimicry. The Siri implementation seemed no better than Cortana. Apple, usually late to the game, perfects implementation of features, and I just didn't see that today.

The highlight of iOS 10 was Messages - are you kidding me! Notifications and what not have all been seen in Android, nothing innovative here. Here again I'm satisified with what they are offering, just not pleased.

Last edited:

OriginalStix

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2016
im in college right now so the 12in macbook is really appealing to me. If i sold on ebay, I would have to sell for around $1050, which from what ive seen is pretty hard to get. 2015 models go for around 1200 on ebay.

how do you find completed listings?

Search for something on ebay then to the right of the search bar click advanced. There are filters for both sold and completed listings. (completed includes sold and unsold, unsold typically mean they asked too much or didn't spend any time on the description) .. I'd also filter results only from the past 2 months to get an accurate idea.

If you're in college then don't forget about the free beats from apple, you could sell those as well to take another ~150 off your final cost. With that said, if you're leaning macbook get ready to bring your charger and USB hub everywhere... USB drives are still pretty crucial in college even with wifi everywhere. and ability to charge your phone off your laptop.. and none of your classmates will have USB C chargers if you forget..

Arline

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2010
Since I have sold my rMBP I have nothing until September/October. Maybe I'll get a Precision and skip this MBP update cycle.

Reactions: jeh72

shareef777

Suspended
Jul 26, 2005
Chicago, IL
There's nothing really novel about this. MS is doing the same thing and both are playing catchup to "next-gen" file systems found on Linux.

Alot of features of their new APFS are borrowed from the likes of Ext4 and ZFS.

Exactly. Almost all features shown are just copies from existing, already available, solutions. MacID being a big one. What's worse is that Apple intentionally crippled it for the sole purpose of selling watches. Pathetic. A lone developer created and supports MacID and makes it work through both your phone and your watch, but a room full of Apple engineers could only make it work on the watch!?

Suspended
Apr 4, 2016
I really wish people wouldn't say this - it makes zero business sense. Here are some rough numbers to illustrate why:

[---cut]
you obviously fear that what i'm saying will prove true, i understand your anger, but it's silly not to see the direction apple is headed.
apple watch was off to a low start, yes, but it still has the potential to reach the bulk of all iphone users, which is WAY bigger than the potential of mac user base, that is reaching saturation (you said they sold 18million macs in a year, compare that with the 200+ million iphones per year).

i'm not saying that macs will disappear, but obviously they're not their core business anymore and focus will be less and less over the years (aka. expect less frequent and late updates, slacking specs, etc.) just like the recent ipods, they're still there, but they're just a niche right now, because they reached saturation/customer's attention moved elsewhere. there's not enough mass-wow effect in releasing a new laptop or workstation as it was 10 years ago.

with all the sales figures you provide i just comment with this: you picked a graph from 1 year ago. watch had been just released and figures dropped after the first quarter. pick the same for every iphone and it'll look the same. are iphone sales -quote- "FALLING drastically"?

also, the os platform that received the biggest update in this wwdc is watchOS, probably because there are still ample margins for improvements, but it shows where the efforts are headed.

Reactions: Federico87

whiteonline

macrumors 6502a
Aug 19, 2011
California, USA
I pulled the trigger on a second hand 2015 13" Pro. I originally was considering a refurbished XPS 13, but the low TDP of the U processor is a deal breaker (as are the reported QC issues).
It is what it is. I'll just use the machine and ignore update rumors for a couple years...

Muizon

macrumors member
Mar 9, 2015
I'm honestly really surprised you don't know anyone that uses iMessage. I personally don't know anyone that has an iPhone that doesn't use iMessage. I rarely text people as almost everyone I know has an iPhone and that's the default for iPhone to iPhone communication over message. I'm curious, what do you use for text based communication?

WhatsApp since it's cross platform and group chat capable. With this and other functions that iMessage hasn’t provided over the last years, this was and still is the way to go for me, and as I said, almost anybody I know.
I would even say that I use Facebook messenger (and I don't use it much) more frequent than iMessage hence the "Messages" App is currently only used to receive SMS verification or similar.

Matt Leaf

macrumors 6502
Feb 5, 2012
I have 3 Macs: Air 11" 2012, MBP 2011 15", iMac 2012 pre-Retina 27". All work fine. The Macbook Pro is the one that needs the upgrade the most, and I will likely sell the iMac to help fund that. Fortunately I'm not in a hurry unlike others. Waiting another 3 months is not a big deal, I look forward to the announcement as it will at least be doubly as good as what they are selling now.

vatter69

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2013
Same here - no one uses iMessage unless by accident. In fact most people 50+ buy a smartphone to be able to run WhatsApp because that's what their kids are using and they want to stay in touch.

iMessage was great during iOS5 when it would actually chose to send an iMessage over SMS in case the other party was using an iPhone so you could save money. These days everyone has free SMS included and WA has 1billion + users on ALL platforms.

WhatsApp since it's cross platform and group chat capable. With this and other functions that iMessage hasn’t provided over the last years, this was and still is the way to go for me, and as I said, almost anybody I know.

Mercifull

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2012
I would even say that I use Facebook messenger (and I don't use it much) more frequent than iMessage hence the "Messages" App is currently only used to receive SMS verification or similar.
iMessage is also group chat capable but I get your point about cross platform functionality.

phloo

macrumors regular
May 23, 2016
So........ Will Apple hold another event before September??? I don't think Apple will wait until September to announce the new mbps along with Iphone
pretty sure they will announce it along with macOS Sierra.
Conclusion: one of the biggest events in fall together with iOS, watchOS and iPhone releases.

KirekkusuPT

macrumors regular
May 31, 2016
pretty sure they will announce it along with macOS Sierra.
Conclusion: one of the biggest events in fall together with iOS, watchOS and iPhone releases.

Makes sense. Even more so if the suposed new iPhone isn't a major revamp of the thing. They will have time.

imom

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2008
with all the sales figures you provide i just comment with this: you picked a graph from 1 year ago. watch had been just released and figures dropped after the first quarter. pick the same for every iphone and it'll look the same.

It was the only graph I could find. Considering this is a new product launch, you can't really compare it to mature products which make money on upgrades. I really doubt the iPhone sales chart looked so bad at the beginning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.