Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RandomStranger4

macrumors member
Oct 17, 2013
The Big Apple
Finally had time to go back and compare my predictions for the iPhone event on page 892 with the actual event. As should be expected of uninformed speculation, I got just about everything wrong, including the folks on stage :) I did predict both a new watch and a new iPhone though - no-one saw those coming!

My next unfounded speculation is no Apple event in October - let's hope I'm just as wrong!

RohirrimV

macrumors regular
Aug 29, 2016
Purgatory
What macbook pros are you guys on?

You know, I think this thread needs some positivity about Apple. And BOY do I have some to share!!

Mine is a early 2013 13" 2.6 GHz i5 with 8GB RAM. My parents got it for me for university. I naïvely thought that this would be sufficient for all my needs, but it's been huffing and puffing trying to keep up with me. I'm planning on getting a mid-tier 15" this time around.

That being said, I LOVE my computer! I can honestly say that I have a stronger attachment to it than I do most human beings. This is the best experience I have ever had with an electronic device, and is a large part of the reason why I cannot currently envision switching to a different brand. It has withstood EVERYTHING I've thrown at it, and I haven't been kind! I've opened up 50+ Safari tabs, two of which were hour-long YouTube videos at 1080p/60fps and another of which was Netflix streaming at high quality. With that I had two Numbers spreadsheets (each of a volume of ~19,000 cells), Matlab (performing hardcore data analysis comparing 25 of these spreadsheets), iTunes, Messages, Mail, Calendar, and Microsoft Equation Editor. SIMULTANEOUSLY!!!

These days I use about 1 1/3rd cycles per day on my battery. Even after 1277 cycles it's showing 96% battery capacity! Recently it told me that my rate of battery consumption gave me over 12 hours of battery life left. I have a RAM-cleaning app installed and it has to run the deep clean cycle about once every 5 minutes. Still, my computer has only crashed three times since I got it (and two of those were when I was on an early Beta OS).

I'll gripe and moan with the best of you but I am very happy with the quality of Apple products. Sounds naïve, but I trust Apple to release a good computer when they can. Even if it's late, I'm certain it'll be worth it in the end.

ThisBougieLife

Suspended
Jan 21, 2016
Northern California

I have a mid 2010 13 inch and i cant even watch 720 60fps videos on youtube without lagging

I'm not on any :(

My late 2012 13" rMBP died on 3/12/16. In two days it will have been half a year for me without a Mac or laptop of any kind. My only computers are an iPad and a Windows desktop.

I move into the dorms next week and my first college classes begin on the 21st. Not looking like I'm going to have a laptop in time. So I'm really hoping for October, because I don't think I can go half my freshman year without a laptop. If there's no MBP by the end of October, I may be buying a temporary Windows laptop.

MindBreaker

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2010
I've got to admit considering it's a Core 2 Duo chip I'm impressed how it handles 6 years on. The case is battered to **** and the battery is now below 80% health on ~950 cycles, but it handles everything I do, just a little slower than I'd like.

You guys all need to chill with your amazing battery life on your C2D macs. This is mine :
Ta6igva.jpg

And you are reading it right, it doesn't even charge! :confused:
Oh and my keyboard doesn't work as well as my headphone jack and USB ports :p The trackpad is the MVP of my MBP

brammahh

macrumors member
Oct 9, 2014
Belgium
I'm not on any :(

My late 2012 13" rMBP died on 3/12/16. In two days it will have been half a year for me without a Mac or laptop of any kind. My only computers are an iPad and a Windows desktop.

I move into the dorms next week and my first college classes begin on the 21st. Not looking like I'm going to have a laptop in time. So I'm really hoping for October, because I don't think I can go half my freshman year without a laptop. If there's no MBP by the end of October, I may be buying a temporary Windows laptop.

I know this isn't very ethical, but technically you could order a MacBook Pro 2015 from Apple, send it back after 2 weeks, then order it from Best Buy for example and send it back again after two weeks, .. until the new MacBook Pro is out. A Time Machine backup would help you quickly get back up and running after each two weeks. This is how I would do it if I absolutely needed that Mac for a month.

Since I needed the power after my MacBook Air died in May, I just went for a 2012 Mac Mini and maxed it out with RAM and SSD. I'll be able to sell it for the same price probably, which is nice!

Zillion

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2008
The Netherlands
Ok guys, I just talked to Serban and Tim. It's still a big secret but... to let some steam off I am allowed to share the following;
To assists us even more Apple will come out early 2017 with the iPortable belt! It comes with a free Lightning to 3.5 mm headphone adapter, a free USB C to USB A adapter, a free USB C to HDMI adapter and... with optional colored waist bands!!

apple_belt.jpg

Last edited:

killawat

macrumors 68000
Sep 11, 2014
. A Time Machine backup would help you quickly get back up and running after each two weeks. This is how I would do it if I absolutely needed that Mac for a month.

Not that I would do it but I would just have my OS X install on a external 2.5 ssd via tb or 3.0, that way you don't even have to wipe/use the internal drive.

GubbyMan

macrumors 6502
Apr 3, 2011

I have a mid 2010 13 inch and i cant even watch 720 60fps videos on youtube without lagging

You guys have it so good with your 2010 MacBooks. My laptop is a 2008 Windows PC running on AMD's first dual-core microarchitecture. The idle temperature is about 70°C and it can reach 95°C before it suddenly shuts down. I'm very happy though as 480p YouTube videos can play with only a few dropped frames. Oh and did I mention the battery? Yes I have, 600 pages ago:
This is how the battery on my 8 year old Windows laptop is doing:

Repupjo.png

4 minutes is an overestimation, I expect no more than 2 minutes until it dies. It's still very useful when the cable is accidentally pulled out or when I want to change power outlet. :D

aaronRobeson

macrumors member
Jun 2, 2016

I'm still on a late 2011 15" poor bastard's been through a lot, I poured a cup of tea on it and the battery stopped working for a few months before miraculously coming back to life, I had two power cords for it both died in the past month. Please let it be announced in October.

viljamip

macrumors regular
Jan 22, 2016

I have a almost maxed out early 2008 17". I have installed 6GB of RAM (Apple's official max was 4GB). I also have an SSD as my main drive and a HDD replacing my DVD drive. My PCI-e slot has an SD-card reader. I had to replace my logic board once because the Nvidia 8600M GT gave up the ghost. Apple didn't think this machine was eligible for their extended repair so I had to pay 700€ for the board. Externally this has had quite a beating and once I had some nice vanilla flawored suryp leak all over this... (don't ask why). I think I'm on my 3rd battery and still get about 1 hour of use with 1042 cycles, 41% health on this one (rated for 300 cycles I think).

I can watch 1440p 30fps and 720p 60fps Youtube on a good day. Sometimes I just have to settle for 1080p 30fps or 480p for 60fps videos. All in all this still runs El Capitan surprisingly smoothly despited the 8 years of use this has seen. I have an iMac for any serious work I do but new MBP would be nice for school. I have an iPad Pro for now which got me by last year.

nnicot

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2015
I'm currently on a mid-2012 rMBP with 16/512 and the nice i7 quadcore chip. It suffered a drop recently and needs a trackpad, top/bottom case replacement which would be anywhere between $5-700 through apple. It's still supremely capable but I'd much rather put that repair money towards a new machine, and maybe later on I'll see if i can buy some used parts and tackle the repair myself. Update can't come soon enough, as I have purchased a dell xps 13" to tide me over (costco 90-day return policy).

lewdvig

macrumors 65816
Jan 1, 2002
South Pole
I just recently sold my out of warranty 2013 igpu 15" rmbp and bought a dgpu 2013 model that has almost a year left of applecare+ warranty.

Love them both, but the edge would be to the low heat, long battery of the igpu version. Although if the new Deus Ex or No Man's Sky game comes out for Mac it would be great to carry those time wasters around.

I'm interested in the new models, but too frugal to buy them new (probably).

14 hour battery and an igpu that beats the 750m or a dgpu that beats the 970m would probably change my mind. I'd like 16 GB ram standard and storage to start at 512 GB (with 1 TB and 2 TB options). But I can't see that being possible in the smaller case.

My guess is 3.5 lb, similar battery life, better screen quality, much improved cpu and gpu but not quite the level I am hoping for.

BBturnips

macrumors newbie
Aug 12, 2016
Will you guys be pre-ordering (if they even do that with MBP's) / buying on day 1 or waiting a week or two to see the reviews? Personally I'm in such dire need for a new laptop I'll wait 24 hours max before throwing my wallet down for the new one.

Reactions: jef82

JamesMcFlyJR

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2016
You guys have it so good with your 2010 MacBooks. My laptop is a 2008 Windows PC running on AMD's first dual-core microarchitecture. The idle temperature is about 70°C and it can reach 95°C before it suddenly shuts down. I'm very happy though as 480p YouTube videos can play with only a few dropped frames. Oh and did I mention the battery? Yes I have, 600 pages ago:

my only computer is a dell xps 13 from 2007. however I replaced the battery and I get a good 3 hours of battery life. in addition, I can play 720p 60fps videos but it does get pretty hot. Idk if it's the computer or if I took great care of it but it's actually decent (I used to have a late 2013 15in mbp before this).

Lollo

macrumors regular
Sep 7, 2016
Will you guys be pre-ordering (if they even do that with MBP's) / buying on day 1 or waiting a week or two to see the reviews? Personally I'm in such dire need for a new laptop I'll wait 24 hours max before throwing my wallet down for the new one.

that's definitely a good question, I promised myself to wait reviews and day one bugs solving (especially OLED-related stuff), but if I think that I'd have to wait more..

JamesMcFlyJR

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2016
yo guys since the new iPhone 7 dropped space grey for the new "black" color. what do you think is the future for colors on MacBooks? if the new MacBook Pro comes out in multiple colors are we going to see a space grey mbp or a black one like the iPhone 7?

I really hope space grey stays though :/

BondFancy

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2016
Preordering with AppleCare/Amex to mitigate any day one risks. I won't wait any longer than I have to lol!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.