Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tl01

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2010
Glad they are the pharmacy I already use. Will work on the hubs to try and get him to switch:).

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
I was wondering about that - but I think on some pin pad/readers that might activate the NFC stuff on them. Supposedly the ones we have at Target have it - but there is nothing to tap. It looks like you just "get close" and it is active according to what I read on the Verifone site.

Note, not that Target will accept Apple Pay in the store... because they are an online partner. But the new readers ARE able to do it.
You tap the phone to the screen on Verifone and Ingenico readers. Equinox (Walgreens uses Equinox) you tap to the logo.

Narg

macrumors member
Jan 23, 2008
This is what sets Apple apart from other tech companies. They are coordinated and when they set their minds to it, they can get something implemented quickly and correctly.

Wow, you live under a rock don't you??? You should get out a look around once in a while...

tmiw

macrumors 68030
Jun 26, 2007
San Diego, CA
I'm pretty sure Walgreens has been NFC enabled for a while now. I thought Apple Pay didn't require any changes at the merchant end?

ThisIsNotMe

Suspended
Aug 11, 2008
I've seen NFC payment at some businesses long before Apple announced ApplePay, so isApple just sort of adopting them and calling them ApplePay?

No. ApplePay uses one time payment keys instead of your credit card number so in the event of a data breach the key is useless. Additionally no personal information is transmitted to the terminal so any hack wouldn't be able to get your name,ect.

On the flip side as no personal data is exchange and they payment keys are one time use, it allows significant more privacy in that stores cannot track you by your credit card number.

NFC is the technology/hardware, ApplePay is the process/software.

----------

I'm pretty sure Walgreens has been NFC enabled for a while now. I thought Apple Pay didn't require any changes at the merchant end?

NFC != ApplePay

furi0usbee

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2008
Seems like a terrible idea to travel without your credit cards.

So places, such as hotels, which require you to present a card for ID purposes as well as paying, are they going to allow you to go "careless" and just use your phone? I've only ever used plastic, so this will be interesting to see if you still will have to carry your cards as well as your phone. I mean, for ATMs and such, I'll need to carry at least one card.

RedOrchestra

Suspended
Aug 13, 2012
I've always wondered who shopped at Walgreens ... hmmm ... same teenagers as hang out on the MR forums.

TraceyS/FL

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2007
North Central Florida
I've always wondered who shopped at Walgreens ... hmmm ... same teenagers as hang out on the MR forums.

Seriously? No one you know shops at Walgreens? Heck, I work at Target and use the Walgreens in our parking lot for my pharmacy. Way easy to deal with anywhere I go. And they have a drive up window....

And, i'm far from a teenager - in fact I have 2 of my own.

SeaFox

macrumors 68030
Jul 22, 2003
Somewhere Else
This is what sets Apple apart from other tech companies. They are coordinated and when they set their minds to it, they can get something implemented quickly and correctly.

It hasn't launched let. Post this a month from now when it's actually out at all retailers and it is confirmed to have gone smoothly and quickly.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
At least it's moving forward. And so far they've had enough security measures to make the banks happy...

I agree it is a step toward a vision everyone else failed to deliver. It waits to be seen whether it will be a success.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
Sigh I am sad. Sitting at wegmans eating, when we paid I noticed their NFC readers have a sign informing us they no longer take payments via mobile application/phone. Wonder if that position will change when Apple Pay comes out.

mdlooker

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2011
US
Just make sure the ladies in the store see you buying them all cool like with the new iphone. You'll be back for more in no time.

It's priceless to look right at the cashier right as she scans them..lol

But anyway... it would be nice to see it at gas stations.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.