Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cynerjist

macrumors regular
Nov 8, 2006
folks, if it hasn't been said, they went Cingular for GSM support. If they want to put this into Europe, which is utilizes GSM heavily, this makes sense. They won't have to design/manufacture 5 different versions of the phone to support all the bands. they could also go t-mobile as they use GSM and are in EU.

i'm hoping they eventually release something for the 3G EVDO networks for more interesting apps like broadband tv/video.

music.addict411

macrumors member
Jan 8, 2007
Vancouver, Canada
Built-in Camera Unlikely

I think a Built-in Camera would be very unlikely for the original apple phone.

"iPhone" will probably start out small like the 1st Gen iPod, then new models with come out with cameras, more memory, etc.

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
I very much doubt it will be called MacPhone.

Why?

MacPhone gives the impression it only syncs with Macs. Even if you scream from the tallest buildings there will still be windows users who think it only syncs with Macs, and not windows, who may otherwise buy it.

US$1000 is too high a price, CA$700 is more realistic ( to buy outright ) and is on par with the competition.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
I think a Built-in Camera would be very unlikely for the original apple phone.

"iPhone" will probably start out small like the 1st Gen iPod, then new models with come out with cameras, more memory, etc.

You can't sell a trendy, hip phone that's going to cost several hundreds of dollars and not include a camera.

DaveClarkOne

macrumors member
Apr 13, 2004
Cingular?? Please NOOOOOOOOO

I would subscribe to Cingular if they gave me the phone. They are NOT a customer -centric company. My examples:
1. Too many dropped calls (13 last month)
2. You can't delete a voice mail until you listen to the whole thing --sometimes you don't need to hear the whole message (Cingular is selling air time here...the bastards)
3. I often didn't get my voice mail until 6-8 hours after the voice mail was created --sometimes messages are TIME SENSITIVE
4. My recommendation: Threaten to quit the service at customer service, get a concession on charges, then QUIT the service.
5. They will not waive your $150-175 early termination fee, because THEY DON'T CARE ABOUT CUSTOMER SATISFACTION.
6. The user interface on the Razr with Cingular is poor (Sprint's is superior here)
7. Buy a new phone with Cingular and pay retail. If it goes bad (mine did 5x), they send you a refurbished, used phone. Great, just what I wanted. Not!

Please Apple, say it isn't so.....

DaveClarkOne

macrumors member
Apr 13, 2004
Cingular?? Please NOOOOOOOOO

I just cancelled Cingular for the worst cell service I've ever had. They are the worst --and don't take my word for it, try reading Consumer Reports: They are DEAD LAST.

pkis

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2004
Basel, Switzerland
Oh nooooo, please tell me this thing isn't going to be US-only :-( If that's the case, scores of Apple customers in Europe would be really, really angry.

CaptainCaveMann

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2004
I dont know if cingular is the problem or if its my razr. But i live in a big city and my service totally sucks in my house. It goes from full bars to 0 bars every other minute. Its retarded and i know i miss calls and text messages because of it. Extremely irritating when im paying 100 dollars a month for service im not really getting. :rolleyes:

xPismo

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2005
California.
I almost hope its all wrong.

Just for the shock of it.

Oh, and then I wouldn't have to work my ass off to pay for it all. :D

the17thman

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2007
Gone From WSJ

http://www.engadget.com/2007/01/08/wsj-reports-apple-and-cingular-launching-cellphone/

The WSJ just published a story implying the phone could be launched tomorrow. Does anyone have access to the full article here: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB116830347326670832.html?mod=djemalert

I read the aritcle on wsj.com a few hours ago and then went to show someone the article at 9pm PST the story was changed. Now it says "may announce" and the story has been rewritten.

TonicAngel

macrumors regular
Jan 1, 2003
California
Cingular is horrid in my town. They claim they have excellent service yet calls drop all the time. My best friend goes from full bars to zero bars just by moving her phone an inch. Its ridiculous. :mad: Verizon on the other hand is extremely reliable here and I've never had a dropped call.

DaveClarkOne

macrumors member
Apr 13, 2004
Not so bad in NYC. At least as good as the Verizon service I used to have.

Service can vary by location, it's true. On principle, however, Cingular business practices should give you pause. Read above for my reasons on quitting. I'm happy with Sprint. Verizon is higher rated by a significant margin if you read Consumer Reports.

mi5moav

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2004
tmobile wants to be hip with their sidekick and dash and I don't think they really wanted Apple to eat into those profits. I still don't believe Apple is going into the cellphone market it is cutTHROAT. But I wish them the best. I think they really need to be in the camera market. I think they could give canon, casio and sony a run for their money. This phone business is crazy. But if it has to be let it be called the Newton. I am 100% sure it will not be called the N56LR-9

Daringescape

macrumors regular
May 7, 2003
CA
Im in Los Angeles and never have a problem with my Cingular service - I have a signal all over. I was in Hawaii over the summer and had no problems there as well as Carson city and Reno, NV.

If the Apple Phone is on Cingular, I will get one as soon as I am eligble for an upgrade.

DaveClarkOne

macrumors member
Apr 13, 2004
I dont know if cingular is the problem or if its my razr. But i live in a big city and my service totally sucks in my house. It goes from full bars to 0 bars every other minute. Its retarded and i know i miss calls and text messages because of it. Extremely irritating when im paying 100 dollars a month for service im not really getting. :rolleyes:

It's CINGULAR. It sucks. I switched to Sprint using the same Razr. I haven't had a dropped call since. Sprint isn't perfect, but it has some advantages with internet speed, using CDMA. I would go with Verizon if you wanted a GSM phone.

Zadillo

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2005
Baltimore, MD
I would subscribe to Cingular if they gave me the phone. They are NOT a customer -centric company. My examples:
1. Too many dropped calls (13 last month)
2. You can't delete a voice mail until you listen to the whole thing --sometimes you don't need to hear the whole message (Cingular is selling air time here...the bastards)
3. I often didn't get my voice mail until 6-8 hours after the voice mail was created --sometimes messages are TIME SENSITIVE
4. My recommendation: Threaten to quit the service at customer service, get a concession on charges, then QUIT the service.
5. They will not waive your $150-175 early termination fee, because THEY DON'T CARE ABOUT CUSTOMER SATISFACTION.
6. The user interface on the Razr with Cingular is poor (Sprint's is superior here)
7. Buy a new phone with Cingular and pay retail. If it goes bad (mine did 5x), they send you a refurbished, used phone. Great, just what I wanted. Not!

Please Apple, say it isn't so.....

Regarding voicemail, I don't know if they set this up differently elsewhere, but I am just able to hit 7 to delete a voicemail without listening to it (there's also a fastforward command to just fast forward to the end of a voicemail).

I haven't really had any of the other problems you mentioned. I think that's the thing with any of these cell companies; I think just about all of them have customers who think they are terrible, and customers who think they are great, because it doesn't seem like any of them are able to provide a satisfactory experience in all regions.

-Zadillo

Zadillo

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2005
Baltimore, MD
tmobile wants to be hip with their sidekick and dash and I don't think they really wanted Apple to eat into those profits. I still don't believe Apple is going into the cellphone market it is cutTHROAT. But I wish them the best. I think they really need to be in the camera market. I think they could give canon, casio and sony a run for their money. This phone business is crazy. But if it has to be let it be called the Newton. I am 100% sure it will not be called the N56LR-9

Because the digital camera market isn't cut-throat.... :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.