Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Repo

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2009
Except it doesn't bend when you sit on it.
And it doesn't scratch up as easily.
And it has a new front-facing camera with improved image capture.
And it has a new LTE radio that supports more frequencies on more carriers.
And it has a larger battery.
And it has a selection of uniquely-designed, official cases from Apple.
And it comes in 5 different colors.
And it has a rounded back that many find more pleasing to hold.

Aesthetic overhaul.

FTFY.

512ke

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2003
I love how people can post that the 5C isn't selling well when on the front page of A. I. There is a chart showing how it's the number two best selling phone for several of the largest U. S. Carriers. Classic. Prejudice trumps reality.

satchmo

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2008
Canada
Still wouldn't mind seeing Apple throw in a 'masculine' darker colour into the 5c mix.

Ideally piano black, but heck I'd settle for a Space Grey colour.

Born Again

Suspended
May 12, 2011
Norcal
Yes, the iPhone 5C is LITERALLY identical to the iPhone 5.

But other than that, the iPhone 5C is identical to the iPhone 5.

Literally.

I don't appreciate your condescending response.

If the phone was selling so well they wouldn't offer a discount.

Hence the sales aren't doing well. Got that?

End thread. (Slams the door)

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
I love how people can post that the 5C isn't selling well when on the front page of A. I. There is a chart showing how it's the number two best selling phone for several of the largest U. S. Carriers. Classic. Prejudice trumps reality.

But it is for September. Some of that is channel refreshes. Remember, Apple counts shipments to carriers as sales (as does everyone else). October will be the key month. If the 5c is still #2 then it means it actually is selling. If it drops to #4 then it means the September numbers were somewhat inflated. It would be nice to see more activity data so we can see what percentage of phones accessing the web are 5s vs 5c. That might give us some indication. Earlier reports were almost 3-to-1 5s.

MLadyJ

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2013
Breda
iphone 5c

[url=http://cdn.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png]Image[/url]

Following announcements from Best Buy and RadioShack that they will be offering $50 gift cards to iPhone 5c customers that will bring the prices down to $50 for a 16 GB model with a two-year contract, Walmart will be undercutting even those offers starting today by dropping its pricing to $45, reports MarketWatch.

While Best Buy's current offer is good only through next Monday and RadioShack's is scheduled to run for about a month, Walmart's pricing will be valid throughout the holiday shopping season. Walmart has been offering the iPhone 5c for $79 since launch, a $20 discount from standard pricing.

Price drops around the holidays are not terribly unusual for major iPhone retailers, but stores are being rather aggressive in announcing price drops on a brand-new iPhone model so soon after launch. iPhone 5c models have been in relatively good supply since their launch, while the more expensive iPhone 5s has seen significant shortages. The iPhone 5s has not seen any significant sale announcements, although Walmart has been offering the 16 GB model for $189, a $10 discount from normal pricing, since launch.

Article Link: Walmart Drops iPhone 5c Pricing to $45 On Contract Through the Holidays

I still think this is a little expensive, if they make it to $10 on contract without trade in the old iphone, i would definitely love it. :D

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Something that is selling well doesn't need discounts 2 weeks after launch.

#capitalism

True. I'm not sure why everyone's being so defensive here. Apple has gotten pricing "wrong" before, even with the iPhone. First they sold it as a $599 phone with a special service plan from AT&T. 74 days later, they dropped the price to $399. With the 3G they switched to a traditional subsidy and "$199" pricing model, which they've stuck with ever since. That's three different pricing strategies in a year but they finally got it right. Even earlier this year they dropped the price of the 13" rMBP just 4 months after it launched.

Hopefully it sells well at "$49"/$500. I'm a shareholder so I want them to sell lots of 5cs.

Satnam1989

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2011
Illinois
As always people bashing the older/the new 5C --- been going on since launch -- as always I say the 5C is a great phone with improvements that most people fail to see since they are under the hood.

One thing I would like to point out since I don't think many people understand unless I am missing something here:

The $50 Gift card is received after you have paid the $99 at the store....

At the end of the day, the stores are making a fortune by putting people on soft leashes -- give $50 today, have you come back another day to spend $50+more lol....and weather you count it or not, you are still paying the $99...its one of those marketing strategies where the consumer feels like they are saving...when they really are just spending.

From what I see here happening is that Stores can afford to discount the 5C more than the 5S, each activation on contract = bonus for them as well.

but all this is seen negatively by press as the 5C "not selling well" -- dont be fooled, this isnt a samsung or htc phone that is in trial and error, this a phone tied to worlds leading ecosystem of Apple.

mytakeontech

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2010
Anyone bough Gold iPhone 5S for $189 at Walmart?

I am sure WM does not get much inventory but just wondering whether WM has any Gold phone.

FlunkedFlank

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2012
I agree with the idea that the original price was artificially high because Apple knew it would start to be discounted regardless of supply. I thought that when they released it and here we go. It's the same reason hotels don't ever lower their prices, they just offer "deals" and resell through third parties like Priceline. They don't want to set a precedent for a lower price for the future. It's all psychological. If Apple released the 5c at $49 officially then they could *never* go back to $99 for future phones that needed to be that high due to tighter margins. And meanwhile $49 or $149 for 32gb feels like an awesome deal to the consumer.

Greg.

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2010
London, UK
Seriously, I don't understand why stories like this count as news? The upfront cost of the phone is tiny compared to the full contract (like less than 5%), so who cares if it moves around a bit. In the UK phones are pretty much all free on contract in the first place...

BC2009

macrumors 68020
Jul 1, 2009
Doubt it. Anyone who has an iPhone 5 doesnt need it. And as seen from the 5S's release it outsold the 5c no problem and the 5S had huge supply constraints.

The market for the 5c is not the September early adopters. The market for the 5c is parents shopping for teens and tweens for Christmas and adults who are late adopters and might prefer something fun to something cutting edge. My neighbor got one, they are already showing up in high schools as the latest status symbol, and even some tech junkies have told me they got a 5c. I think the 5s will start stronger and will sell itself at launch and hence Apple is putting all their marketing into 5c. Once you start seeing commercials for the 5s, but not for the 5c, then you know the tide is turning toward teens (whose parents buy for them) and late adopters.

The 4s at $99 proved to be a very popular phone for Apple later in the iPhone 5 lifecycle. Apple is betting that the 5c will be much more attractive. Further, the 4s at $99 was never advertised, whereas the 5c represents a new product that Apple can advertise. The 5c is not trying to outsell the iPhone 5s, but rather the iPhone 4s at the same time last year. It is likely doing that quite handily and will peak during the holiday shopping season and again late in the iPhone 5s/5c lifecycle with late adopters.

seamer

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2009
Something that is selling well doesn't need discounts 2 weeks after launch.

#capitalism

You can do it if it's obviously selling well, and the markup on it is large enough to absorb it. Or your premium model has the markup to support it. And given how long the contract is, the discount will resolve itself in the tail.

It's also called a loss-leader, basically to create marketshare.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
One thing I would like to point out since I don't think many people understand unless I am missing something here:

The $50 Gift card is received after you have paid the $99 at the store....

At the end of the day, the stores are making a fortune by putting people on soft leashes -- give $50 today, have you come back another day to spend $50+more lol....and weather you count it or not, you are still paying the $99...its one of those marketing strategies where the consumer feels like they are saving...when they really are just spending.

I believe Wal-Mart is actually selling the phone at the reduced price, and not using gift cards. In any case, they aren't doing that the for iPhone 5s.

There are people for whom $199 (or $299 for a 32GB) model is "too much" but $49 or $149 might not be. They might not have taken the bait at $99/$199 since the much better 5s is "only $100 more," but now that $100 is $150. It might still not be enough, or it might be exactly the right differential.

BC2009

macrumors 68020
Jul 1, 2009

Best Buy is doing the same $50 discount on the Galaxy S4, S3 and Note 2 with a two-year contract. Best Buy's discount is in the form a gift card.

Walmart is offering the Galaxy S4 for $138 on contract PLUS you get a $40 gift card with it. This phone normally retails for $199.

So are sales bad on these phones?

According to this report the iPhone 5c managed to nab the #2 spot at AT&T and Sprint in September and the #3 spot at Verizon and T-Mobile, despite only being for sale for 10 days during the month.

Hence the sales are doing pretty well. Got that?

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Best Buy is doing the same $50 discount on the Galaxy S4, S3 and Note 2 with a two-year contract. Best Buy's discount is in the form a gift card.

Walmart is offering the Galaxy S4 for $138 on contract PLUS you get a $40 gift card with it. This phone normally retails for $199.

So are sales bad on these phones?

According to this report the iPhone 5c managed to nab the #2 spot at AT&T and Sprint in September and the #3 spot at Verizon and T-Mobile, despite only being for sale for 10 days during the month.

Hence the sales are doing pretty well. Got that?

The difference is those are all older models. The S4 is about halfway through its product cycle, and the Note 2 is "last year's model."

Also, some of the 5c sales are carriers refilling their stock. It's pretty safe to say that whatever 5s models the carriers bought were sold to end customers, but it isn't the same with the 5c as it hasn't sold out. October will be the key. If the 5c is still #2 then it has sold well. If it is #4 then it means that the September phones took a long time to sell through to end users.

jamesnajera

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2003

Went to Bestbuy today to buy one for my mom in law. The $50 discount had these selling like crazy. As stated above, the iPhone 5c was selling well. This discount seems to have found the 5c sweet spot.

Lancetx

macrumors 68000
Aug 11, 2003

I really just don't understand the 5c hate either. I bought a 5s myself, but I can also clearly see that the 5c is a very nice device. For those that don't care about being on the absolute bleeding edge of technology, plus also want something more colorful & durable (which the 5c definitely is compared to the 5s on both counts), it's a no brainer. Especially for only $49.99 (on contract) as that's easily the best phone available anywhere at that price point.

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
Yes, the iPhone 5C is LITERALLY identical to the iPhone 5.

But other than that, the iPhone 5C is identical to the iPhone 5.

Literally.

Love this post! Thank U. I'm so sick of people downing the 5C, especially when they talk about the plastic. I can easily tell when someone hasn't even touched it. It's extremely solid and it doesn't plasticy at all. Very well built phone with nice upgrades over the iPhone 5. :)

----------

There wasn't anything condescending about his post. Not one thing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.