Walt Mossberg LOVES the new iMac

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by rosalindavenue, Sep 23, 2004.

1. rosalindavenue macrumors 6502a

rosalindavenue

Walter S. Mossberg of the Wall Street Journal, probably the most prominent and respected "non-techie" technology writer, LOVES the new iMac and gives it a rave review in today's Journal. LINK TO ARTICLE

2. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

whoa! he certainly does like it, and you can tell he's a mac user. he also addressed cost, which is one of the most important things apple needs to push about the imac. great review. btw, i feel sorry for you about your laptop--ive got the A15 and it seems huge, but nothing compared to the p25

3. JFreak macrumors 68040

JFreak

4. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

Ok I've been reading people going on about the iMac all week, I slowly fell in love with the form factor and have read jealously as people reported receiving their computers one by one...well enough is enough I say, I can't take it anymore...this article, amongst the myriad of other things, is the proverbial plastic tubing that broke the camels' back, I'm ordering one now!!! :eek: :D

5. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Good man, I broke down yesterday!

6. Diatribe macrumors 601

Diatribe

Actually you can reduce it to the power cord with the printer hooked up to your Airport. :D

7. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

I'm weak a tell you! Did you go for the 17" or the 20"...I can have the wireless 17" 1.8 now or gamble on the wireless 20" coming in soon, oh decisions, decisions! :p

8. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

See my sig ;)

9. rosalindavenue thread starter macrumors 6502a

rosalindavenue

Yeah, its a monster-- but I wasn't really looking to take it out of the house & I wanted screen real estate and semi-portability-- and it cost $500 less than a 15" powerbook when I bought it (which was at the time when the 15" had the screen issues). If I were buying with the same requirements now I'd get the iMac in a heartbeat--

10. Savage Henry macrumors 65816

Savage Henry

in a one horse, two house, three pub town.
    I find it interesting that he thought the interior fans are a silent as a fieldmouse sleeping on a bed of marshmallows, when reports from some purchasers have been contrary to such assertions.

Good article though.

11. Steven1621 macrumors 6502a

Steven1621

i was just going to mention that...

12. kangaroo macrumors regular

pic?

btw, edesignuk--who's that a picture of under your name? :D

13. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

For the 1000th time on these forums :eek:...Keira Knightley :)

14. Elan0204 macrumors 65816

Elan0204

I can tell you that my 20" iMac G5 is as close to silent as Apple claims (quiter than a whisper). It is not silent, but is very very quiet. If you are in a room completely devoid of sound, you will hear it quietly running, but most shouldn't notice anything under normal operating conditions.

I wish Apple had put 512MB of RAM in the iMac and just raised the price by $50 if they really felt they needed to maintain their profit margin. It seems that the biggest complaint in almost every review I've read is that Apple skimped on the memory by only putting in 256MB. Some reviewers have nothing else negative to say besides the memory complaint, so the reviews would be perfect if Apple had just put in 512MB.

15. jtgotsjets macrumors 6502

jtgotsjets

I just got done playing with a new iimac at my university's Apple store.

It was wonderful.

But, alas, it was limited by the RAM. I tried doing the "open everything in the apps folder at once to see the dock dance" and frankly, my iBook did it better with twice the RAM.

16. Xenious macrumors 6502a

I can't seem to help myself either. I just got a G5 2.5 and since I'm digging the iMac look I think I'm going to get one to upgrade my wife's old Windows machine. (Now I just need to save up some more money ehhehe)
    -jim