Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

homerjward

macrumors 68030
May 11, 2004
fig tree
whoa! he certainly does like it, and you can tell he's a mac user. he also addressed cost, which is one of the most important things apple needs to push about the imac. great review. btw, i feel sorry for you about your laptop--ive got the A15 and it seems huge, but nothing compared to the p25

munkle

macrumors 68030
Aug 7, 2004
On a jet plane
Ok I've been reading people going on about the iMac all week, I slowly fell in love with the form factor and have read jealously as people reported receiving their computers one by one...well enough is enough I say, I can't take it anymore...this article, amongst the myriad of other things, is the proverbial plastic tubing that broke the camels' back, I'm ordering one now!!! :eek: :D

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
munkle said:
Ok I've been reading people going on about the iMac all week, I slowly fell in love with the form factor and have read jealously as people reported receiving their computers one by one...well enough is enough I say, I can't take it anymore...this article, amongst the myriad of other things, is the proverbial plastic tubing that broke the camels' back, I'm ordering one now!!! :eek: :D
Good man, I broke down yesterday!

Diatribe

macrumors 601
Jan 8, 2004
Back in the motherland
You can actually reduce the whole thing to just two cords -- a power cord and a printer cord -- by adding a wireless keyboard and mouse, for an extra $99, and a wireless networking card, for $79.

Actually you can reduce it to the power cord with the printer hooked up to your Airport. :D

munkle

macrumors 68030
Aug 7, 2004
On a jet plane
edesignuk said:
Good man, I broke down yesterday!

I'm weak a tell you! Did you go for the 17" or the 20"...I can have the wireless 17" 1.8 now or gamble on the wireless 20" coming in soon, oh decisions, decisions! :p

rosalindavenue

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 13, 2003
Virginia, USA
homerjward said:
btw, i feel sorry for you about your laptop--ive got the A15 and it seems huge, but nothing compared to the p25

Yeah, its a monster-- but I wasn't really looking to take it out of the house & I wanted screen real estate and semi-portability-- and it cost $500 less than a 15" powerbook when I bought it (which was at the time when the 15" had the screen issues). If I were buying with the same requirements now I'd get the iMac in a heartbeat--

Elan0204

macrumors 65816
Apr 16, 2002
Chicago, IL
Savage Henry said:
I find it interesting that he thought the interior fans are a silent as a fieldmouse sleeping on a bed of marshmallows, when reports from some purchasers have been contrary to such assertions.

I can tell you that my 20" iMac G5 is as close to silent as Apple claims (quiter than a whisper). It is not silent, but is very very quiet. If you are in a room completely devoid of sound, you will hear it quietly running, but most shouldn't notice anything under normal operating conditions.

I wish Apple had put 512MB of RAM in the iMac and just raised the price by $50 if they really felt they needed to maintain their profit margin. It seems that the biggest complaint in almost every review I've read is that Apple skimped on the memory by only putting in 256MB. Some reviewers have nothing else negative to say besides the memory complaint, so the reviews would be perfect if Apple had just put in 512MB.

jtgotsjets

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2004
Lawrence, KS
I just got done playing with a new iimac at my university's Apple store.

It was wonderful.

But, alas, it was limited by the RAM. I tried doing the "open everything in the apps folder at once to see the dock dance" and frankly, my iBook did it better with twice the RAM.

Xenious

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2004
Texas, USA
I can't seem to help myself either. I just got a G5 2.5 and since I'm digging the iMac look I think I'm going to get one to upgrade my wife's old Windows machine. (Now I just need to save up some more money ehhehe)
-jim

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.