Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macher

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 13, 2012
Just got an iPhone 7+ coming from a 6. Reasons I wanted a plus is because of the camera and larger screen. I sell on eBay and wanted a better camera. I also like to watch a lot of videos.

I'm 5'10" 165lbs slim athletic build. Man the plus is big. I wear my Levi 501's sort of tight and used to putting my iPhone in my back pocket. When I bend down it's very uncomfortable. Tried the front pocket and it's just as uncomfortable. The camera is EXCELLENT with a capitol E. My eBay listing look way better than with my 6 like night and day. I also don't like that I can't use the plus with one hand comfortably. I have to maneuver my hand too much.

Have 7 days left to decide if I'm going to return it. Want to like it but the portability part and hand usage is turning me off. However the camera and large screen to watch videos and movies is simply incredible.

Anyone else been in this situation.

Reactions: janeauburn

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Absolutely been in the situation. I own at the 4.7 inch iPhone 7 and 7+. If you give the 7+ time to handle it, you will adjust rather quickly. It's just a matter of actually using the iPhone and finding that comfort grip. As far as portability goes, it really depends on where you carry the iPhone in your pocket and how you carry it. But I think the iPhone 7 Plus has more to offer in terms of hardware and really is a leap over the 4.7 inch model.

macher

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 13, 2012
Absolutely been in the situation. I own at the 4.7 inch iPhone 7 and 7+. If you give the 7+ time to handle it, you will adjust rather quickly. It's just a matter of actually using the iPhone and finding that comfort grip. As far as portability goes, it really depends on where you carry the iPhone in your pocket and how you carry it. But I think the iPhone 7 Plus has more to offer in terms of hardware and really is a leap over the 4.7 inch model.

I normally carry my 6 in my back jeans pocket. When at work I wear cargo pants and keep the 6 in the cargo pocket. Since having the plus I don't usually carry it in the cargo pocket and keep it in my work vehicle because if I'm lifting something it sticks out too much. The guy I work with said why don't I try a holster. That could work if I wore belts.

How are others carrying their plus's?

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I normally carry my 6 in my back jeans pocket. When at work I wear cargo pants and keep the 6 in the cargo pocket. Since having the plus I don't usually carry it in the cargo pocket and keep it in my work vehicle because if I'm lifting something it sticks out too much. The guy I work with said why don't I try a holster. That could work if I wore belts.

I usually carry my 7+ in my front pocket or I rotated to my back pocket. It just depends on what type of pants I'm wearing and what's comfortable. Although if you set it in your back pocket, be sure not to sit on it. Fortunately, I have not done that yet.

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
I carry mine in my front pocket and it is comfortable enough. I often carry two + size phones as my wife doesn't like to carry a purse and often hands her phone to me to hold.

That said if you can actually use the regular 7 one handed it probably isn't worth giving that up for the 7+. I got the + because I can't use the 4.7" model with one hand so I decided I might as well go as big as I could since I didn't have one handed use anyway.

Reactions: BeeGood

daijholt

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2013
Wales, UK
Just got an iPhone 7+ coming from a 6. Reasons I wanted a plus is because of the camera and larger screen. I sell on eBay and wanted a better camera. I also like to watch a lot of videos.

I'm 5'10" 165lbs slim athletic build. Man the plus is big. I wear my Levi 501's sort of tight and used to putting my iPhone in my back pocket. When I bend down it's very uncomfortable. Tried the front pocket and it's just as uncomfortable. The camera is EXCELLENT with a capitol E. My eBay listing look way better than with my 6 like night and day. I also don't like that I can't use the plus with one hand comfortably. I have to maneuver my hand too much.

Have 7 days left to decide if I'm going to return it. Want to like it but the portability part and hand usage is turning me off. However the camera and large screen to watch videos and movies is simply incredible.

Similar experience here. I adjusted to its size quick enough, however I fractured a knuckle a few years back so using my little finger to balance the device on during one handed use starts to hurt after a while, which isn't ideal.

Besides that, and the obvious finger gymnastics required to use the device one handed, its hands down the best iPhone money can buy. The camera is an incredible piece of kit.

If you were wondering what you'd lose though moving to the 7; I'll list what I found here:

1. You don't get portrait mode (which is bonkers good, but not a really necessary for most people)
2. You lose the bigger battery (but can offset this with the battery case, and the 7 still feels far smaller in the hand than the plus even with the apple battery case)
3. You don't get the 3GB of ram (this has yet to make any kind of difference in my day to day use, and won't matter long term since I upgrade every year anyway)
4. You don't get the big ass screen (probably the biggest lost in all honesty).

Personal cases could be different, but this is what I've noticed after using them both.

Last edited:
Reactions: sgchick and Jetcat3

anon08

macrumors member
Oct 5, 2016

I struggled for a little bit but now I'm fine and happy I went the plus. I keep it in my front pocket and rarely have an issue unless my shorts have tiny pockets. The main reason I'm happy I went the plus is battery life. I can use this thing hard all day and it will last til night. With normal usage I go 2 days. It's good not to have to worry about battery. And also the screen is obviously good for watching media. Also did you get matte black? because that's very slippery, may be a good idea to get a skin or case (I use speck grip) to help with keeping a hold of it.

Reactions: Jetcat3

macher

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 13, 2012
I struggled for a little bit but now I'm fine and happy I went the plus. I keep it in my front pocket and rarely have an issue unless my shorts have tiny pockets. The main reason I'm happy I went the plus is battery life. I can use this thing hard all day and it will last til night. With normal usage I go 2 days. It's good not to have to worry about battery. And also the screen is obviously good for watching media. Also did you get matte black? because that's very slippery, may be a good idea to get a skin or case (I use speck grip) to help with keeping a hold of it.

I got a Body Guardz case from AT&T. Wanted to get the slimmest case with adequate protection.

I kind of like a holster idea but I don't wear belts. Thinking maybe something that can attach to my front pocket.

bodonnell202

macrumors 68030
Jan 5, 2016
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
The 7 has all the same camera features as the 7+ minus the optical zoom and bokeh effects, and I doubt you would use either for eBay listings (although maybe you do take fancy bokeh pictures for eBay??) If you are really finding the 7+ too unwieldy you may want to try a 7 instead.

cbreze

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2014
Oregon
I had a 6+ and adjusted to it after a bit, but problem was I unadjusted after awhile as the size just became to annoying. Really liking the size of my 7 tho. The cam on the 7 is fantastic and to have to deal with the larger size all day long just to have a better/larger screen for viewing is not worth the trade off IMO. The battery which concerned me being smaller has been amazing and I can easily go all day and then some. YMMV of course. Glad I opted for the smaller 7

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
If you don't love it within the returncwindow just return it. Seriously. I "wanted to love" the 6 plus and talked myself into keeping it despite the lag issues I had. It never got better. Kicked myself for not just taking it back. But I wanted that bigger screen and paid for it. At least I learned my lesson. I won't buy another iPhone that doesn't seriously intrigue me. And if it doesn't live up to its promise it's going back.

dslrjunky

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2011
I work nights as a nurse and due to winter season I wear jacket/hoodie, if I put the phone in my front pocket and in vertical position, I find it hard to get in the car to sit, I just have to remember to have it horizontal or have it on my hand before getting in..now is that enough to switch?nope I can't go back to a smaller screen but I think this is the max size I can handle, coming from note series...

macTW

Suspended
Oct 17, 2016
I've never owned a plus but was close to getting the 7+ over my 7. This was exactly why - trying friends' plus phones and in-store phones made me realize storing it would be too difficult

itsmilo

Suspended
Sep 15, 2016
Berlin, Germany

The day i got it i was like shoot its big and heavy. A day later i had already gotten used to it. Whenever i go back to my iPhone 6 now it feels so tiny like going from 6 to 5 or 5 to 4 back in the day. It also fits perfectly into whatever pants i wear and i do have skinny jeans too :D

Also i LOVE its battery life. My 6 is 2 months old (replacement) and its battery is already / has always been crap

Reactions: Jetcat3

macher

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 13, 2012
I really feel for guys who don't have cargo/carpenter pants or some type of shirt with big pockets. I just take a purse or handbag. For a girl, this is easy.

I wear cargo pants at work and I haven't been putting my iPhone in the cargo pocket because it sticks out too much. The cargo pocket isn't made for the plus. My wife has a plus and keep it in her hand bag. Yes for a woman it's easy.

Zaft

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
What you can do is keep the 6 and wait for this years iPhone. It will most likely be smaller with the same or bigger screen.

janeauburn

macrumors 65816
Nov 22, 2015

I hate the iPhone 7 Plus. Such a disappointment coming from the 6 Plus. It's heavier, thicker, like a brick, really. Has a yellowish tint to the screen (which sucks!). Has really crappy speaker phone quality. So many complaints! The new leather cases are all too slippery--garbage!

I tried to like the stupid phone. Tried 7 or 8 different units. Just a huge waste of time.

Going back to the 6 Plus was such a relief.

The 7 Plus is a failed phone, in my book. Oh, and Apple Music in iOS 10 is a piece of sheet!

Jetcat3

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2015
I hate the iPhone 7 Plus. Such a disappointment coming from the 6 Plus. It's heavier, thicker, like a brick, really. Has a yellowish tint to the screen (which sucks!). Has really crappy speaker phone quality. So many complaints! The new leather cases are all too slippery--garbage!

I tried to like the stupid phone. Tried 7 or 8 different units. Just a huge waste of time.

Going back to the 6 Plus was such a relief.

The 7 Plus is a failed phone, in my book. Oh, and Apple Music in iOS 10 is a piece of sheet!

Haha, what?! Crazy how different some people's experiences can be. In my opinion, the 7 Plus is 3X better than the 6 Plus. It's everything I wanted when I owned a 6 Plus. Check out Anandtech's display review section on these phones and that may help describe the "yellowish" hue everybody talks about. (It's really because the old iPhones are so blue and that contrast makes us think it's yellow.) That first happened to me when I used an S7 Edge in basic mode. I thought it was yellow! Turns out it was actually white and my 6s was too blue.

janeauburn

macrumors 65816
Nov 22, 2015
(It's really because the old iPhones are so blue and that contrast makes us think it's yellow.) That first happened to me when I used an S7 Edge in basic mode. I thought it was yellow! Turns out it was actually white and my 6s was too blue.

Yeah, right. I don't care what some dumb test says. It's damned yellowish to my eyes and damned uglier than the 6 Plus screen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.