Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

joelrw

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 14, 2004
If anyone can help with this, I'd be very grateful:

I got a new G4 Powerbook yesterday: 15", no DVD burner, 512 MB of RAM, 1.33 GHz. First installation was Warcraft 3. Upon playing it, however, it crashed almost immediately. I was later able to download the version 1.15 patch from Battlenet, however. Warcraft crashed afterwards as well as before.

Does anyone have an idea what the problem(s) might be?

Joel W.

joelrw

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 14, 2004
Uh-oh

About 30 seconds after I posted the above message, Safari quit unexpectedly. So now I'm wondering if I have a hardware problem, or if the additional 256 MB that was installed by the dealer was bad or not the right kind.

Joel W.

telecomm

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2003
Rome
Certainly sounds like bad RAM, you might want to pull the dealer installed module and see if you still experience any problems.

Best of luck.

Xelaxam

macrumors newbie
May 24, 2004
Ibook

I have got the same problem on my new ibook... And correct me if i'm wrong but usually you can start the game and it freeze randomly cuz other time you cannot even play it freeze in the menu.

wide

macrumors 6502a
May 17, 2004
NYC
It could be bad RAM...most probably is.

You could also format your computer and reinstall Mac OS X, but I wouldn't advise that.

If you live near an Apple Store, I would bring your computer there and have them check it out.

Why are so many Apples unreliable? My Dell and all the Dells I have ever had (I have had 8 since 1998) have never had any problem like the ones users on these forums are experiencing...I'm a little scared to switch to Mac this winter--especially to the PowerBook G5 REV. A....

I hope Apple will be able to fix these problems before they manufacture even more defective computers (the clamshell iBook and the snow iBook have both had problems, as did the TiBook and apparently now the AlBooks....what's happening to Apple?)

applebum

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2003
SC
wide said:
Why are so many Apples unreliable? My Dell and all the Dells I have ever had (I have had 8 since 1998) have never had any problem like the ones users on these forums are experiencing...I'm a little scared to switch to Mac this winter--especially to the PowerBook G5 REV. A....

I hope Apple will be able to fix these problems before they manufacture even more defective computers (the clamshell iBook and the snow iBook have both had problems, as did the TiBook and apparently now the AlBooks....what's happening to Apple?)

You are on a forum where people know they can go when they need help. If Dell had such a forum, I would bet that you could find the same kind of problems there. Just because you haven't had a problem, doesn't mean that plenty of other Dell users haven't. I have 4 Macs currently and have never had any major problems with any of them. If I did, I would come here first to see if it was something I could fix. Then I would call Apple support. Rest assured that after you get your Mac, if you did have any problems, you could come here and get help.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.