Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zub3qin

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 10, 2007
It's strange that people who aren't happy call them a rip off. Just because you think your phone is in better condition than they do doesn't make them a rip off. Just tell them you don't accept the deal and they'll send it back. And it won't take two months to get it, like I've heard that some other companies will do.

If you read the complaints, many have had different serial numbered iPhones sent back when they refused the "revised" offer Gazelle was offering.

Good luck trying to get your phone back then if they send you someone else's. The company has no phone number. This should be your first red flag. When a company has no phone number, beware.

Slip Jigs

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2008
If you read the complaints, many have had different serial numbered iPhones sent back when they refused the "revised" offer Gazelle was offering.

Good luck trying to get your phone back then if they send you someone else's. The company has no phone number. This should be your first red flag. When a company has no phone number, beware.

Then why did you send your phone in with all the red flags? Sorry, but I still think that the good reviews out weigh the bad - not just customers, but all the other places you can read reviews.

How do WE know your phone was in as good as condition as you say it was? We don't. Just taking your word for it. I don't know why they don't post their phone number, but it's easy enough to find. Just click the BBB link on their site and it has the entire company profile.

gorkt

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2007
Interesting. I have turned in two phones to Gazelle without any problems, and always received the price they quoted originally.

oxocube

macrumors member
May 30, 2007
I sent in my iPhone 3G (8 GB) a couple of weeks ago and started to get nervous when I read some of the experiences shared here. Finally, after waiting for almost a week after the Fedex tracking had indicated they received the package, my account online is now saying "Your item has passed inspection! Estimated payment by 08/04/2010 via Check."

I had rated this iPhone as "good" but it had some significant scuffs on the sides (but not the screen) as a result of a few drops onto concrete over the years (including flying off the top of my car once). I thought it could have been legitimately downgraded to "fair."

So, my single experience with them - assuming that check makes it to me - is quite satisfactory.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
I guess I am one of the lucky ones. I had recently sent in my original iPhone (EDGE 4GB). I have received $72.45 in Amazon gift card, which is the full amount for excellent condition.

chrisgeleven

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2002
Never had an issue with them. Took a little bit to get my check, but it was the exact price I agreed to originally ($115 apiece for two iPhone 3G 16GB models).

marksman

macrumors 603
Jun 4, 2007

Says the same people who apparently lied about the condition of their phone in the first place. So why should we believe them when they claim they got the wrong phone back?

On one hand I have seen a lot of stories in different places of people having no problems, and on the other hand I have some people who potentially could be lying about everything. Who am I to believe? If everyone was having a problem it would be one thing, but most people do not it seems.

People misgauge the value of their phone or try to hope for more money by being dishonest. Then they get rejected and to cause a bigger ruckus claim they got the wrong phone back.

I am not saying it is impossible that someone got the wrong phone back. I am sure it happened to one or two people, but I doubt it is some kind of wide spread issue where Gazelle is intentionally sending the wrong phones back to people who lied about the quality of their phone to begin with...

You started this thread saying not to trust them simply because they disagreed with your assessment of your phone. That is not a reason to start a thread called "Warning - Do Not Use Gazelle to sell your iPhone."

Look, regardless of how often it has occurred in he past I do not come here to school posters are consumer law. Sufice to say: if they systematically undervalue phones and cite nonexistent scratches, they are violating implied covenant of fair dealing implicit in any commercial dealing. This violation is compounded by the fluid nature of value of this good, which could, possibly, make them liable for the oppertuity cost lost because of their system (assuming immediate mitigation--another sale).

Individual consumers aren't going to follow up because each loss is too small, a class action or a state AG lawsuit is the normal way this type of loss is remedied. Look up what happened to Altell with Mr. Rescue fees (4.99 a month).

This service is very different from a traditional, in person, sale because of the limited duration that the goods hold their values. I highly doubt they are legally protected.

What are you talking about?

Half of the stuff you said is just made up.

h1kar1

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2007
Los angeles
wow.

I have just delt with them.
Sold 2 phones one of them i admit wasn't in good condition it has a small crack and scuffs .they did offer a diffrent price for it but it was still reasonialbe.

They honory there price for 30days.

Mine did take a while but they admited to UPS issues in house and they said they would extended the time i had.

Everything worked out for me..

bushbaby

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2007
SoCal
I am not someone who asked for the phone back. But I did post here that I am someone who was frustrated by the experience with Gazelle. It is small-minded to assume that posters here "lied" about the condition of their phone. I had a case on mine the entire time and I had it checked out by Apple before I sent it in because I wanted to be sure I was sending an excellent phone in perfect condition.

After a long time, I get an email from Gazelle that cannot be used to communicate to, that has determined the phone was not as represented. No details. No way to call or contact to discuss. The value of the 3gs had dropped since the time period of my guaranteed quote as the 4 came out and the longer it was out, the more the value of the previous iPhone dropped.

I chose not to delay the time any longer and I accepted the changed, reduced offer.

I've read other people's direct experiences with Gazelle, both good and bad, and I take that into account along with my own experience. If you are going to discredit the posters here, then you have to discredit all posters you are relying on who said they had a good experience.

My conclusion with this company is that the more they deal with large numbers of products, the less they are able to devote careful attention to each entry. They had more iPhones than anticipated as people got ready to buy the 4, and some quality-control might have slipped. I prefer to think of it that way than that they intentionally devalued the quotes.

The weak link is that they have no way for the customer to question or discuss the changed quote, in case there is a mistake.

Their initial quote was much lower than prices gotten on Ebay or Craig's list, so if getting the most money for your used product is important, I would suggest another way. If you want the ease of this system, this is a way to go.

Don't worry about the subject of this thread. Any mention of a little-known company is advertising and some people will learn about them reading this.

Says the same people who apparently lied about the condition of their phone in the first place. So why should we believe them when they claim they got the wrong phone back?

On one hand I have seen a lot of stories in different places of people having no problems, and on the other hand I have some people who potentially could be lying about everything. Who am I to believe? If everyone was having a problem it would be one thing, but most people do not it seems.
"

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Not for nothing - and since Marksman has me on ignore he can't see this anyway apparently.

But does anyone care what Marksman believes or not.

You know if you were overvaluing your phone or not. You might not post it on here. But you honestly know one way or the other.

What anyone else believes doesn't matter.

jonathanInMI

macrumors newbie
Aug 8, 2008
I didn't use Gazelle. I used cexchange. They have an email address and they do respond. I sent them an iPhone 3GS 32GB that was an Apple replacement anout 5 days old. It was in a Speck wrap around case AND a leather holster. So, when they claimed mine was 'scuffed' I told them send it back or give me the agreed upon amount. I also mentioned that I would notify ALL the forums of their poor customer service as well. As for you, try using Planet Feedback to complain. Its amazing how quickly companies respond when their reputation is on the line!

I tried that to complain about Gazelle. The problem is that Planet Feedback has no listing for a company called Gazelle, and since Gazelle does not publish (that I can find) an physical land address, I cannot register them under the Planet Feedback forum.

THAT is a pretty interesting Catch 22 I think!

JT2002TJ

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2013
I tried that to complain about Gazelle. The problem is that Planet Feedback has no listing for a company called Gazelle, and since Gazelle does not publish (that I can find) an physical land address, I cannot register them under the Planet Feedback forum.

THAT is a pretty interesting Catch 22 I think!

This is an old thread that you brought back, but their address is listed on their website:

Gazelle HQ
300 A Street
Boston, MA 02210

https://www.gazelle.com/contact

ABC5S

Suspended
Sep 10, 2013
Florida
I used Gazelle twice now, and had no issues, they gave me the agreed upon amount within a few days after receiving the iPhones.

noanker

macrumors regular
Sep 30, 2015
No complaints about Gazelle here. I have been with them since 2013, first at a former employer where we'd sell off about 50+ company iPhones, then for selling my old Macs and iPhone/iPads. Their quotes have usually been better than what competitor sites have given me. Could I get more selling it through another venue (e.g. Ebay or Craigslist)?

Sure, but I don't want the hassle that comes with either. Their turnaround time is remarkably quick, no complaints here.

davew41

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2013
I only sell directly to maxback.com they offer a fair price and you get paid most times withing that same week..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.