Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ReallyBigFeet

macrumors 68030
Apr 15, 2010
I use to laugh at ppl who stated they've "accidentally" updated and thought it was impossible. After my findings, this can happen to anyone who had a rough night and this would start their day off on as "its one of those days!"

This is a major issue for enterprise-wide deployments of iPad devices. Some apps haven't been updated to iOS7 compatibility yet and if your enterprise devices suddenly start the update, you are screwed.

Doesn't help that Apple doesn't yet let the MDM manufacturers (Airwatch, etc) natively 'block' OS updates.

Techwing

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2013
This thread explains my update experience. When I clicked to install iOS 7, it took barely ten minutes to install. I happened to be watching my ADSL modem as it did this, and it never once blinked, which was puzzling because that meant that nothing was being download. Nevertheless, after ten minutes passed, iOS 7 was up and running.

I now realize that the phone must have downloaded the entire update in advance, the first time it popped up a message asking if I wanted to update, and it just kept the files on the phone even though I said no. When I finally chose to update, it used the files it already had to do the update, making it extremely fast.

I wonder what happens on phones that don't have space to download the update (although I guess then they don't have space to do the update, either). And if you run out of space after the update is downloaded, does the phone silently delete the files, wherever they are? They aren't counted in usage statistics, as I would have noticed a 700 MB download in the numbers.

E2EK1EL

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 19, 2012
Back in iOS 6.0, I found the Automatic Download toggle for iBooks magically appeared one day in settings after iOS 6.0.1 was out and the IP5 hasn't been updated to that build yet. I showed my friend at work on his and he totally freaked out.

Things do magically appear or change with iOS with a flick of a switch from Apple. The recent change is the icon in iCloud back up in iOS 6, which is now showing icons and artwork of iOS7.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.