Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

McSad

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 13, 2011
When I run e.g. world of warcraft on my new 2011 macbook pro 15" with 2,2 GHz i7 processor the computer gets VERY hot and the fan becomes VERY noisy.

Even if I use the same low video settings as I use on my girlfriends old MBP the fan goes crazy. Strangely my girlfriends MBP doesn't make a noise???

So even though I've got a fancy sandy-bridge-whatever processor my computer gets hot and noisy while the old MPB doesn't.

Well, isn't that money well spent?

Manacit

macrumors regular
Feb 19, 2011
New York, NY
Then return it and buy an older MBP. Its getting a little tiresome to see these threads every day. There's a tradeoff between power and heat, naturally, your MBP will make more heat, and thus the fans will spin faster. If you can't handle that, just return it.

mrwonkers

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2004
Cyberia
When I run e.g. world of warcraft on my new 2011 macbook pro 15" with 2,2 GHz i7 processor the computer gets VERY hot and the fan becomes VERY noisy.

Even if I use the same low video settings as I use on my girlfriends old MBP the fan goes crazy. Strangely my girlfriends MBP doesn't make a noise???

So even though I've got a fancy sandy-bridge-whatever processor my computer gets hot and noisy while the old MPB doesn't.

Well, isn't that money well spent?

If u put a bee in a jar n dangle your balls ova it ur likely to get stung... Sorry I was just illustrating the situation by stating something pointless, me bad... How McSad...

ECUpirate44

macrumors 603
Mar 22, 2010
NC
Theres no need for a "warning." What you ment to say is "my i7 MBP gets hot and is noisy. The vast majority of people who own 2011 i7 MBP's are not having any issues.

Last edited:

wingsabr

macrumors 6502
Dec 13, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I have the 17 i7 and it works great. It gets warm and loud, but that's what happens when you put a quad core and a decent card in a mbp or any other laptop. Also the mbp is designed to be one big heat sink so it should be warm.

Now if you want I can share some solutions to contradict your warning. SMC and Lubbo come to mind.

iZero

macrumors regular
Mar 8, 2011
then return it and buy an older mbp. Its getting a little tiresome to see these threads every day. There's a tradeoff between power and heat, naturally, your mbp will make more heat, and thus the fans will spin faster. If you can't handle that, just return it.

+1.

McSad

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 13, 2011
Most of you are missing my point.

It shouldn't get hot when I run a program with low video settings because the old MBP can run the same program with the same settings without getting hot.

I could understand it if I had set the video settings to max but I didn't. So, given the same task the new MBP gets hot and noisy while the older MBP doesn't.

To some this maybe makes sense, but not to me.

iZero

macrumors regular
Mar 8, 2011
Use iStat Pro and tell us what your temps are. It's easier to tell you if it's actually working within normal parameters, with the numbers. It's free, and is actually handy for other things besides temps :) But on the off chance something is wrong, it will help us tell you :)

Manacit

macrumors regular
Feb 19, 2011
New York, NY
Regardless of the video settings, your new MBP will still get hotter, the new CPU uses 10W more. If the heat is getting so bad that it shuts down to prevent damage, then you have a defective computer, but otherwise, mid to high 80s are par for the course, there's really nothing you can do about it. I have a new 15, and I haven't noticed anything excessive at all. Sure, the fans have gotten to spinning at 6000 rpm when I'm gaming, but its really not very loud at all. Its a small price to pay for a matching benching as good as a 2008 Mac pro

Looon

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2009
Then return it and buy an older MBP. Its getting a little tiresome to see these threads every day. There's a tradeoff between power and heat, naturally, your MBP will make more heat, and thus the fans will spin faster. If you can't handle that, just return it.

Is it really so much to expect a laptop that costs $2000+ dollars to actually function without melting through your table?

Manacit

macrumors regular
Feb 19, 2011
New York, NY
Is it really so much to expect a laptop that costs $2000+ dollars to actually function without melting through your table?

My GFs 2009 unibody still burns my testicles off, my $550 Asus netbook idles at a hotter temp then my MBP and gets hot as **** when I do anything on it. The more powerful a laptop gets, the harder it is to cool. You can't have both power and good cooling in a laptop.

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk

iZero

macrumors regular
Mar 8, 2011
My GFs 2009 unibody still burns my testicles off, my $550 Asus netbook idles at a hotter temp then my MBP and gets hot as **** when I do anything on it. The more powerful a laptop gets, the harder it is to cool. You can't have both power and good cooling in a laptop.

+1. At least a laptop with a case that small. I've had multiple 17 inch MBP's through the years for my work. Not a one even approached "uncomfortably warm". The 13 inch models seem to get much warmer under stress, but hardly table melting. It also should be brought up, again apparently, that the cases on these are aluminum. It's a heat conductor, a very good one. It feels warmer than a cheap *** plastic laptop because it actually transfers heat to cool the internal parts, rather than insulate and keep it inside. Imagine that? If it's not what you want, get something else. It's no secret people mistake warm operation under load (such as gaming which was by no scope something Apple even designed these to do in the first place) for overheating. If it's too warm for you, get your money back, or go to a bigger model that doesn't get as hot.

Or, post some temps for us :) Sometimes there are actual defects. I'd venture to bet your temps are well within normal ranges, but it's possible something is wrong and temps would help diagnose it.

Looon

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2009

oh so now it's fair to compare a $500 laptop to a $2000 one? What happened to Apple's "fantastic" build quality
hmmm interesting

iZero

macrumors regular
Mar 8, 2011
oh so now it's fair to compare a $500 laptop to a $2000 one? What happened to Apple's "fantastic" build quality
hmmm interesting

I think you completely missed his point. A "cheap", weak, plastic netbook, gets as hot as a very powerful aluminum laptop. That's a knock on the $500 laptop, not the Mac. The point isn't that the plastic one gets hot too, it's that Apple put so much power into theirs, and manages to run cooler still. For all the uneducated complaining that goes on about these machines, it's actually impressive what they can do, as cool as they actually do it. Whether it's too warm for your legs personally or not, is irrelevant. It's widely known what they run at. If you don't like it, and didn't read about it first, it's your mistake.

Last edited:

Looon

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2009
I think you completely missed his point. A cheap, weak, plastic computer, gets as hot as a very powerful aluminum one. That's a knock on the $500 laptop, not the Mac. The point isn't that the plastic one gets hot too, it's that Apple put so much more power into theirs, and manages to run cooler still. For all the uneducated complaining that goes on about these machines, it's actually impressive what they can do, as cool as they actually do it. Whether it's too warm for your legs personally or not, is irrelevant. It's widely known what they run at. If you don't like it, and didn't read about it first, it's your mistake.

You're missing the point, people are always saying the reason Macs cost so much more is that the build quality is so much superior than almost all windows laptops. I fail to see how this is true considering all the complaints on this board recently regarding overheating. Just wondering how people are defending the thousand dollars their mac costs now since build quality is obviously out as a factor

iZero

macrumors regular
Mar 8, 2011
You're missing the point, people are always saying the reason Macs cost so much more is that the build quality is so much superior than almost all windows laptops. I fail to see how this is true considering all the complaints on this board recently regarding overheating. Just wondering how people are defending the thousand dollars their mac costs now since build quality is obviously out as a factor

I didn't miss a thing. The build quality is superior to most, if not all Windows machines. The complaints regarding overheating are inaccurate. Overheating, is when it shuts down due to heat. Period. I've not seen one post about actual overheating. The complaints, are about temps these machines are designed to, and regularly run, well within safe limits. Widely known even, to run. Misinformed people complaining about something they didn't understand or research beforehand doesn't equal inferior build quality on Apple's part.

Edit:Inaccurate in most cases. There have been about two posted recently, that actually got a little warm and were replaced with properly functioning MBP's. But as I said earlier, without the OP posting their actual temps, it's impossible to say if they have a real problem, or if they just mistake warm for overheating as most do.

Last edited:

mark28

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2010
I think you completely missed his point. A "cheap", weak, plastic netbook, gets as hot as a very powerful aluminum laptop. That's a knock on the $500 laptop, not the Mac. The point isn't that the plastic one gets hot too, it's that Apple put so much power into theirs, and manages to run cooler still. For all the uneducated complaining that goes on about these machines, it's actually impressive what they can do, as cool as they actually do it. Whether it's too warm for your legs personally or not, is irrelevant. It's widely known what they run at. If you don't like it, and didn't read about it first, it's your mistake.

Nope, I did simulations that lasted 3 days on my old $500 laptop, CPU temperatures stayed below 70 degrees and it's as powerfull as the 2008/2009 MBP. ;)

But you don't want to put it on your lap as well, gets hot at the bottom if you stress all cores.

iZero

macrumors regular
Mar 8, 2011
Nope, I did simulations that lasted 3 days on my old $500 laptop, CPU temperatures stayed below 70 degrees and it's as powerfull as the 2008/2009 MBP. ;)

But you don't want to put it on your lap as well, gets hot at the bottom if you stress all cores.

And how does it's power compare to the new quad core i7 MPB's that are being discussed here? :) If it puts out as much power, and runs cooler doing identical tasks, that's pretty awesome! :) Might have to replace my Windows PC with that model :p

mark28

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2010
And how does it's power compare to the new quad core i7 MPB's that are being discussed here? :) If it puts out as much power, and runs cooler doing identical tasks, that's pretty awesome! :)

The 2008 & 2009 MBP were running hot as well, making a point that plastic notebooks doesn't mean they run hotter inside ( alteast not all of them ).

iZero

macrumors regular
Mar 8, 2011
The 2008 & 2009 MBP were running hot as well, making a point that plastic notebooks doesn't mean they run hotter inside ( alteast not all of them ).

Gotcha :) Wasn't trying to run down plastic machines, just stating it's rather impressive the power these things put out now, and run as cool as they actually do.

applefanDrew

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2010
What do you expect from a quad core? It is more powerful, therefore it will produce more heat when stressed. Video of any kind stresses the CPU. You want a quad core sandy bridge to run as cool as the core duos in 2007? Get real man.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.