Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thabridawg

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 16, 2002
I bought my dual 1 GHz Quicksilver less than a year ago, and recently I spilled some juice on it the keyboard that came with it. 6 or so keys on the bottom left don't work now, do you guys think I can get a new keyboard, or have my keyboard fixed?

This page says that keyboards are under warranty...

http://www.apple.com/support/products/proplan.html

strider42

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2002
Re: Warranty Question

Originally posted by thabridawg
I bought my dual 1 GHz Quicksilver less than a year ago, and recently I spilled some juice on it the keyboard that came with it. 6 or so keys on the bottom left don't work now, do you guys think I can get a new keyboard, or have my keyboard fixed?

This page says that keyboards are under warranty...

http://www.apple.com/support/products/proplan.html

You could call them and find out for sure. I'm rather inclined to think they won't, since the damage is obviously caused by the user and not a defect in the product.

That said, you can probably fix the problem. You could try dunking the keyboard completely under water (distilled water would be best, but people have used tap water without problems). Let it soak for a little while, dissolve all the juice. You could pop off the keys affected and scrub off any obvious residue. Then let it dry for a few days. This has brought a number of keyboards back to life.

Mblazened

macrumors regular
Dec 20, 2002
The Valley
keyboards don't get returned to apple so you could probably get them to agree to it if you are slick.

But under legitimate warranty circumstances, the warranty would not cover user damage, and never any spillage.

So you could use strider42's cleaning suggestion. A clean, dry keyboard that is presented to a service center will certainly be accepted.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.