Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

derbothaus

macrumors 601
Jul 17, 2010
If you use Visio and Project and Office and stuff then yes, no need for a Mac. There are benefits and limitations. I see PC folks getting all worked up about getting a Mac and then they blow another 1000.00 on a VM environment they live in 90% of the time as they did not do any research. Now they have a Mac that is half the speed of a PC doing PC stuff and costing close to 4000.00.

ericrwalker

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2008
Albany, NY
Maybe he doesn't want to answer all your questions for you. Personally I get frustrated with all the "personal favors" people expect from me because I work in IT.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
The OP is AWOL. You guys got trolled into yet another fanboy thread.

The thread is less than 24 hours old. Some people live in different time zones, have jobs, kids and various other responsibilities. I bet the OP just hasn't had time to look over the whole thread.

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
If I owned a PC repair business I would be telling all my clients the same thing LOL...... He knows once you get a Mac he loses your business forever... if you get a windows laptop he is almost guaranteed to eventually see you again.

pommie82

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2011
uk
Why don't you make you own mind up and don't listen to some else and go to a apple store and try one out and and make your own decision.

The pc guy doesn't want you to move over to mac because he knows you aren't going to go there to get a new machine off him every few years or get your machine fixed when it broke down at some point only thing he sees in you is $$$$$$$ signs nothing else

What company wants you to lose business in this day and age (none)

Personally i really don't like using windows anymore its to slow and doesn't serve me well enough to be using it.I can understand that it works for some people but for me its no go area.

i would prefer to use linux then to use windows personally

Inside_line

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2005
U.S.A.
Care to expand on that?

Point being a 2 year old Apple computer can't run the latest Apple web browser unless you pay to "upgrade" the OS. If the OP wants to know more, he can certainly ask, I'm just providing information most PC users would NOT be familiar with coming from PC world. Apple is very rosy in some respects, and not so rosy in others.

angelsguardian

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2012
North East Scotland
Point being a 2 year old Apple computer can't run the latest Apple web browser unless you pay to "upgrade" the OS. If the OP wants to know more, he can certainly ask, I'm just providing information most PC users would NOT be familiar with coming from PC world. Apple is very rosy in some respects, and not so rosy in others.

Lol and if the PC owner wants to upgrade to the latest OS it's so much better value ;)

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
Lol and if the PC owner wants to upgrade to the latest OS it's so much better value ;)

I would point out that older Windows versions retain a decent level of support. With the move to a seemingly annual release cycle on OSX, I wouldn't count on being able to maintain the latest software for more than a couple years.

angelsguardian

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2012
North East Scotland
I would point out that older Windows versions retain a decent level of support. With the move to a seemingly annual release cycle on OSX, I wouldn't count on being able to maintain the latest software for more than a couple years.

You mean like how my 6 year old iMac just stopped being OS upgrade able after 6 years? Wouldn't fancy windows 7 never mind 8 on PC of same age.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
You mean like how my 6 year old iMac just stopped being OS upgrade able after 6 years? Wouldn't fancy windows 7 never mind 8 on PC of same age.

Windows XP still runs a lot of newer software, often with documented restrictions. An original Mac Pro can run Windows 7 just fine, yet it can't officially run Mountain Lion. The same can be said for a few of the 2009 models with weak gpus that were dropped from Mountain Lion. My earlier point which you chose to ignore was that if Apple moves to an annual update cycle, they may start to drop software support earlier than they have in the past. Once Apple no longer supports something, the larger developers tend to follow suit. Note how Adobe and Autodesk de-supported any model that Apple dropped, which was basically anything that didn't run a 64 bit kernel. Especially with Adobe, many of them still run the latest version on Windows.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
I'm pretty sure ML supports all of the 2009 models and I'm pretty sure it supports all of the 2008 models.

There are a number of details on what models support what features. As for official Mountain Lion support, I was going from memory, but I was close. The late 2008 or early 2009 thing on the macbook refers to some ambiguity within the lineup at that time. The white macbook sold into 2009 was definitely dropped, but it falls into what I mentioned about terrible gpus. It definitely doesn't support everything from 2008. Anyway this is detracting from my point earlier. If OSX is moving toward an annual release cycle, they're likely to become more aggressive on chopping old models. The other point being that larger developers tend to follow Apple. They don't like to support things that are no longer supported by Apple due to more work for a smaller customer base. It may be problematic to support the older ones on many different OS revisions.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5444
OS X Mountain Lion system requirements

To install Mountain Lion, you need one of these Macs:

iMac (Mid 2007 or newer)
MacBook (Late 2008 Aluminum, or Early 2009 or newer)
MacBook Pro (Mid/Late 2007 or newer)
MacBook Air (Late 2008 or newer)
Mac mini (Early 2009 or newer)
Mac Pro (Early 2008 or newer)
Xserve (Early 2009)

Adding more information

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2012/0...some-64-bit-macs-gently-into-that-good-night/

Information included with the first Mountain Lion GM now corroborates the connection to 32-bit graphics drivers as the culprit. While Mountain Lion is compatible with any Mac capable of running a 64-bit kernel, the kernel does not support loading 32-bit kernel extensions (KEXTs). Furthermore, Macs with older EFI versions that are not 64-bit clean won't load Mountain Lion's 64-bit only kernel.

Future points may revolve around OpenCL/OpenGL frameworks supported. I'm not sure. OpenCL 1.2 added a lot of needed features.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
There are a number of details on what models support what features. As for official Mountain Lion support, I was going from memory, but I was close. The late 2008 or early 2009 thing on the macbook refers to some ambiguity within the lineup at that time. The white macbook sold into 2009 was definitely dropped, but it falls into what I mentioned about terrible gpus. It definitely doesn't support everything from 2008. Anyway this is detracting from my point earlier. If OSX is moving toward an annual release cycle, they're likely to become more aggressive on chopping old models. The other point being that larger developers tend to follow Apple. They don't like to support things that are no longer supported by Apple due to more work for a smaller customer base. It may be problematic to support the older ones on many different OS revisions.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5444

I was simply pointing out that your statement about unsupported 2009 models is incorrect. There are actually few 2008 models that are still supported and even a couple of 2007 models.

As for unsupported software; I guess it is unfortunate that some of the older Macs won't be able to run the latest versions. But the previous versions of the software don't stop working when the new ones come out.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
As for unsupported software; I guess it is unfortunate that some of the older Macs won't be able to run the latest versions. But the previous versions of the software don't stop working when the new ones come out.

It kind of used to be this way. With most software you had X number of revisions to upgrade if you wished to retain eligibility. Today Adobe and Autodesk and a few others have moved toward a subscription model or annual maintenance fee. Intuit drops support for any given version after a couple years. I can assure you even if you're not regularly affected by it, it's extremely annoying when you are.

I forgot to mention here, I could always be wrong regarding Apple's direction in OSX revisions. I'm just concerned about seeing stable releases and the ability to pace upgrades. I'm basically locked into updates on a certain amount of software. With hardware I try to hit the major upgrades, especially if the new machine can handle things I couldn't do on the old one.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
I'd get a Mac if you are keen on making a switch. Like it was previously mentioned, some apps require you to buy them again (ie: Office) while others you can get a cross platform license (ie: Photoshop). Worse comes to worst, you could always go back to Windows; just use BootCamp to do it; you'll still have a pretty kick ass laptop.

Your friends tells you no
People here say yes

OP didn't even say friend, it's just someone with a repair business.

Krazy Bill

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2011
The thread is less than 24 hours old. Some people live in different time zones, have jobs, kids and various other responsibilities. I bet the OP just hasn't had time to look over the whole thread.
Going on 4 days now and still no OP.

Like I said 2 days ago. Ya'll got sucked into another PC vs. Mac thread and should know better than that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.