Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

opusthe2nd

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 5, 2005
I am looking for someone to show me how I can watch news video on my PB. I have WMP, Mplayer, QT, Flip4Mac and I still cant watch much.

We dont have TV and I like to keep up on the news and such. Cant seem to do it in OS X, and hate with a passion to go to Windows, but I will if that is the only way to get it done.

Cant get any video on this page: http://www.ktvb.com/

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
Doesn't look like a Mac friendly site.. my guess is they're using the Windows DRM encoded version of WMV files. Which you're NEVER going to get working on a Mac until Microsoft releases an updated WMPlater for Mac OS X.

Which you have a better chance of winning a billion dollars in a lottery you don't buy a ticket for.

macbaseball

macrumors 6502a
Feb 27, 2005
Northern California
I'm not sure if were talking about the same videos, but they all worked fine for me with Windows Media Player. I just clicked on two or three videos on the front page.

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
Strange.. I cannot get WMP to even run on any Tiger boxes.. but with Flip4Mac, the video is just blank (white).

Seems they all die with some sort of 'ad-click' that never appears.

opusthe2nd

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 5, 2005
macbaseball said:
I'm not sure if were talking about the same videos, but they all worked fine for me with Windows Media Player. I just clicked on two or three videos on the front page.

Any video on that homepage, I just get a white box. The question is, why can you view it and I cant?

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
macbaseball said:
The stream most certainly plays in WMP 9 for MacOS X. However, saying that "they all worked fine" is a gross overstatement. The video is the worse that I have ever seen. I get the feeling that it is optimized for a 1200 baud dial-up line.

opusthe2nd, on the first attempt to play the video there is an error message that says the stream is not recognized. The error message is not true. I wonder if you saw it and, if you did, did you take it seriously.

tag

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2005
Can download the videos directly with a touch of work...

As a person who never does anything the easy way, I found that you can easily ( well easily, but not that easily ) download any of the videos from this site and view them through Flip4mac decoder ( will most likely run in WMP as well but I dont have that). This route wont let you view them on their website ktvb.com, but you will be able to download them to view them.

INSTRUCTIONS:

1) got o KTVB.com and open up a page that has a video you want to watch.

2) after that page loads enough view its source

3) search for the first part of the URL by searching for 'mms://'
it should result with something like... "mms://beloint.wmod.llnwd.net/a125/o1/"

4) get the second half of the URL by searching for '/cgi-bin/bi/video/makeadplaylist.pl?title='

you then take the part directly after the '=' and before the '&'
ie. '/cgi-bin/bi/video/makeadplaylist.pl?title=www.ktvb.com/arsoninvestigation.wmv&adurl="+wmPlayer_adurl+'

take 'www.ktvb.com/arsoninvestigation.wmv'
(for a shortcut, this second half of the url should be in the page url as well.

5) Now put the two parts together, and get the video address
mms://beloint.wmod.llnwd.net/a125/o1/www.ktvb.com/arsoninvestigation.wmv

6) Now this file can't be downloaded easily so you need a specialty program, I use ASFRecorderX, though there are a few different programs that do this. If using ASFRecorderX, put the URL in the URL field and set the client Tool to mmsclient and hit start and it will download it for you into watchable video (note that for some reason on this app for me anyways it always downloads the video to the root directory '/' when using mmsclient tool)

So there you go, its not pretty by a long shot, but it does work. Though it may not be worth it to you to bother with this much work.

Can grab ASFRecorderX from here ...
http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/21171&vid=129151

opusthe2nd

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 5, 2005
Interesting....and I paid $1900 to do this. :)

I just did a clean install because this has infuriated me to no end. I figured I could start that way...and go from there. The only thing by way of media player that I loaded was flip4mac. I cant view any .wmv video anywhere now. So, lets recap, $1910 and nothing works. :)

tag

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2005
opusthe2nd said:
Interesting....and I paid $1900 to do this. :)

I just did a clean install because this has infuriated me to no end. I figured I could start that way...and go from there. The only thing by way of media player that I loaded was flip4mac. I cant view any .wmv video anywhere now. So, lets recap, $1910 and nothing works. :)

Also did you restart after installing flip4mac? I can't be 100% positive, but I would swear that you need to restart after installing it before it is fully functional.

tag

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2005
opusthe2nd said:
Rebooted, now I have some sites that will play.

Yes flip4mac will play most .wmv files as long as they aren't streamed through mms:// if it is, then you must download them with a variant of the above crappy process, though once you do, flip4mac will be able to decode them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.