Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PaulinBermuda

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 22, 2022
Hi All, I’ve just finished hitting my head against the wall again, and wondered if anyone could help me here. It’s a long story, so I will try and keep it simple

• I live in a country with no Apple shops
  • iPhone 11 purchased in Miami (late 2019)
  • within a couple of month phone stops working (humidity clearly visible in camera)
  • take to local authorized apple repairer and told as it has water damage and Apple to not cover under warranty, therefore no repair options are possible.
Ok - so this is my first issue - I am 100% sure this phone has not been in or through water - however humidity here can reach over 90%. I’ll come back to this point.

• COVID happened
  • Late 2021 I visited Apple NYC to be told if I could have visited within a year they would have probably just replaced the phone. I could exchange at a cost but no phones like mine available that day.
  • Apple advise I return again on next visit and try to exchange again.
  • Send my phone to mum in the UK. She is visiting me in August and will do the exchange for me and bring the new phone on her visit.
  • Mum visits store and is told that they cannot exchange as phone is still linked to my account (annoying but understandable).
  • I remove device from account
  • Mum goes back again, makes appointment, waits 3 hours and told device is still linked to account and they cannot do anything
  • I phone apple and I’m directed to aplleid.apple.com where I confirm device is removed from account.
What do I do?

I’ve been super patient with Apple - I do love their products and I have always experienced amazing service in the past.

Going back to the original moisture issue - The device is supposed to have an IP rating, I honestly believe this phone was faulty and the water resistance failed on my phone. I would like to consider seeking legal advice to take things further with Apple. I would be willing to spend a few $$$ but cannot afford 10’s of thousands. The phone is currently in the UK but purchased in the USA - should I consult a lawyer in the UK or USA?

Thank you all so much in advance for taking the time to read this and respond

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
You're talking about an iPhone 11 worth about $400 today. You live in a country where Apple does not do business. You don't have any evidence. Forget legal anything. No lawyer would take your case.

Reactions: BugeyeSTI

Splitrail

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2021
Hi All, I’ve just finished hitting my head against the wall again, and wondered if anyone could help me here. It’s a long story, so I will try and keep it simple

• I live in a country with no Apple shops
  • iPhone 11 purchased in Miami (late 2019)
  • within a couple of month phone stops working (humidity clearly visible in camera)
  • take to local authorized apple repairer and told as it has water damage and Apple to not cover under warranty, therefore no repair options are possible.
Ok - so this is my first issue - I am 100% sure this phone has not been in or through water - however humidity here can reach over 90%. I’ll come back to this point.

• COVID happened
  • Late 2021 I visited Apple NYC to be told if I could have visited within a year they would have probably just replaced the phone. I could exchange at a cost but no phones like mine available that day.
  • Apple advise I return again on next visit and try to exchange again.
  • Send my phone to mum in the UK. She is visiting me in August and will do the exchange for me and bring the new phone on her visit.
  • Mum visits store and is told that they cannot exchange as phone is still linked to my account (annoying but understandable).
  • I remove device from account
  • Mum goes back again, makes appointment, waits 3 hours and told device is still linked to account and they cannot do anything
  • I phone apple and I’m directed to aplleid.apple.com where I confirm device is removed from account.
What do I do?

I’ve been super patient with Apple - I do love their products and I have always experienced amazing service in the past.

Going back to the original moisture issue - The device is supposed to have an IP rating, I honestly believe this phone was faulty and the water resistance failed on my phone. I would like to consider seeking legal advice to take things further with Apple. I would be willing to spend a few $$$ but cannot afford 10’s of thousands. The phone is currently in the UK but purchased in the USA - should I consult a lawyer in the UK or USA?

Thank you all so much in advance for taking the time to read this and respond
It seems to me that any legal assistance is likely to cost more than an upgrade to a newer model.

Al Rukh

macrumors 65816
Nov 15, 2017
Please use the money for your legal to get a new phone. You’re not going to win a large sum of payout.

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
You have no leg to stand on. The IP rating is meaningless too as it does not pertain to humid environments. Like the Apple staff in NYC said, you would have been able to exchange the device through the manufacturers warranty had you returned within a year. You missed your window of opportunity and the phone is no longer covered. All repairs carried out by Apple or any third party repair centre will be charged to yourself in full.

My advice would be to chalk it up as a lesson learned and move onto a new phone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.