Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CelestialToys

macrumors 6502
Aug 4, 2013
up above the streets and houses
And why would they lie exactly? What would they have to gain from a forum full of strangers?

Maybe she meant to say a few months ago in her OP.

Some of you guys boggle my mind.

IT'S ALL A CONSPIRACY!!!!!

:confused:

Also, the poster stated that the tech seen a water stain, the iMacs DO NOT have water sensors in them.

It would be pretty pointless as people can't submerge an iMac in water (well they could, but y'know.) And if a ceiling leaked on it, it would be quite obvious by blown components and water stains.

Feel free to prove me wrong though. :)

No conspiracy here, I just don't believe the story.

There are plenty of people who post made up things in forums purely for the thrill of the attention.

I stated my reasons for not believing, I have nothing to prove to you or anyone else.

Binarymix

macrumors 65816
Nov 1, 2007
No conspiracy here, I just don't believe the story.

There are plenty of people who post made up things in forums purely for the thrill of the attention.

I stated my reasons for not believing, I have nothing to prove to you or anyone else.

No, nothing to prove, so why even post?

Obviously you posted your non helpful comment just for the thrill of attention.

CelestialToys

macrumors 6502
Aug 4, 2013
up above the streets and houses
No, nothing to prove, so why even post?

Obviously you posted your non helpful comment just for the thrill of attention.

No I posted my perhaps unhelpful comment because I do not believe the story.

To be honest I very nearly just commented with a "cool story bro" but decided it polite to explain exactly why I do not believe it.

Let us look at this logically.

The applecare T&C for Australia clearly states the following: (edited for brevity, only relevant part quoted)

"4. What is not Covered?
4.1 Hardware Service. The Plan does not apply to:
(b) accident, abuse, misuse, liquid contact, fire, earthquake or other external cause"

The circumstances as described by the OP fall under the bolded conditions would you agree?

This is why I said the OP wasn't covered for the surge.

Why would Apple deny service for a problem that didn't exist when they could deny service for the problem that allegedly did? This just doesn't make sense.

I could understand that Apple may have offered a repair as a goodwill gesture even though the OP was not covered but I find it hard to believe that they would then deny service for one of the two machines because a second non covered issue had arisen, there's not much goodwill in that is there?

I also seriously don't believe that after being refused service four months ago by a "top dog" at Apple that suddenly another phone call to a different Apple rep would garner a different result, In my experience that just does not happen.

I also struggle to believe that the OP wasn't covered by their homeowners insurance, mine definitely covers me for these situations along with pretty much every other accident that could occur to my kit (including spilling liquid into my MacBooks twice) It has to be a pretty shoddy policy if it doesn't.

I could also say that the tone of the OPs posts do not suggest a middle aged woman with the ability to afford $6000 of stuff that wasn't properly insured, but that would be pure opinion with no factual arguments to back it up, it just doesn't sit right with me.

I'm sorry if my opinion offends you, but it's purely based on a personal desire to find the truth in everything and not just some attention seeking nonsense as you seem to believe.

This story just doesn't sit right with me on several levels and after reading the thread I felt compelled to express my opinion, that is what forums are for after all.

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
You should ask for some sort of commercial gesture from their part. I would have been mad!

Glad it's all sorted out, though.

Wow - they covered a machine which was OOW anyway (Apple's not responsible for power surges in your home).

SlCKB0Y

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2012
Sydney, Australia
My Mac is only a few months old, and the Apple Care warranty guy came here to fix it, but said that it was not covered by warranty because it had water damage in it!!!

Firstly, there is a good chance that the only thing that has been killed is the iMac power supply - it's the first thing to go when you get a surge.

I would make an appointment and take it to an Apple Store and tell them your Mac is not working and it's only a few months old. Tell them nothing else.

If they bring up the water damage I would make a huge fuss - call the department of fair trading in your state.

Applecare and warranty are not the same thing. Under Australian law you have a 2 year warranty with Apple for this machine.

Are you old enough to have grand children? If so start sobbing in the store and tell them about how now you can't facetime with your grandkids and you are missing them grow up.

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
Firstly, there is a good chance that the only thing that has been killed is the iMac power supply - it's the first thing to go when you get a surge.

I would make an appointment and take it to an Apple Store and tell them your Mac is not working and it's only a few months old. Tell them nothing else.

If they bring up the water damage I would make a huge fuss - call the department of fair trading in your state.

Applecare and warranty are not the same thing. Under Australian law you have a 2 year warranty with Apple for this machine.

Are you old enough to have grand children? If so start sobbing in the store and tell them about how now you can't facetime with your grandkids and you are missing them grow up.

I take it you didn't bother reading the thread.

Arfdog

macrumors 6502
Jan 25, 2013
Firstly, thank you B1ueBlaze and arfdog for your responses. Appreciate this.

Now for the good news.

Just to recap: In July, the Apple repairer refused to touch my iMac after the power surge because he said there was evidence of water damage. Subsequent dealings with the Senior Technician at Apple resulted in Apple totally refusing to fix the almost-new machine. They closed the case and I was left with an inoperable iMac, which has sat on the dining table ever since.

As I KNEW that I had not poured water over the iMac, or that the ceiling had not leaked on it, after four months of being depressed :( (and after the above posts on this forum), I tried again. I phoned Apple and spoke to a DIFFERENT Senior Technician. This man believed me when I said I hadn't poured water over my machine!! He sent me off to their repairer - who could see NO evidence of water!!! The result is that I am going to pick up my iMac today, all fixed, and covered by AppleCare warranty.

Whatever made the first technician say he could see water damage, I don't know. There was NO water damage!

It just shows how easily you can get steered in the wrong direction. I was about to Ebay my iMac for parts, and I would have been lucky to recoup $100 from a machine that only a few months earlier cost me $1500.

Thank you again to everyone who posted replies to me. What a terrific community.

Monica in Australia

Great! Anyone who tells you a line of crap needs to be put in their place. Women and especially my mom are good at this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.