Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

markoibook

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 28, 2004
Reading, UK.
Hi,
I have both a PC and an iBook, and make great use of the ability to share music libraries in iTunes, as my PC is connected to my Stereo, meaning that I can play new music on my iBook thru my PC to my stereo.
My question is this - is there a piece of software for Windows which effectively emulates what the Airport Express does. I.e. I run a piece of software on my PC that makes it look like an Airport Express to my iBook so that I can force my music to play through my PC from my iBook?
I think that technically this is quite possible to do, but was just wondering whether anyone knows of any software out there that can do this.

Cheers!

Marko

Counterfit

macrumors G3
Aug 20, 2003
sitting on your shoulder
I think that would create a lot of trouble, because the stream from the computer to the AirPort Express is encrypted. However, you might be able to find a server/controller software setup to control the PC. For OS X, there's iHam on iRye (weird name, I know) to do the same.

feakbeak

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2003
Michigan
Got Windows XP Pro?

This might not be exactly what you had in mind, so I'm sorry if I misunderstand what you are trying to do. I think what you are saying is that you have your PC hooked up to your stereo and you want a way to control how that music plays (flip through tracks, volume up/down) from your iBook remotely? If that's the case AND you have Windows XP Pro you can use the Remote Desktop functionality built into Windows XP Pro to control your PC from the iBook.

M$ has a Win32 client to control the WinXP Pro machine remotely, but they only offer it for Windows, but there is a a web version that you can download from MS's site that will setup a webserver on the WinXP machine and then you can simply connect to that website via a browser and control the WinXP Pro machine. I would bet any money the website used to control it would be using ActiveX controls left and right. Knowing M$, you may need to use IE to control it form you iBook, but it might be an option for you.

I've only ever used the Win32 Remote Desktop client. If you get this setup working let me know. I have a Mac mini on order and plan to put it at the other end of my condo, so if I could access my PC from the mini, that would be cool.

TDM21

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2004
feakbeak said:
I've only ever used the Win32 Remote Desktop client. If you get this setup working let me know. I have a Mac mini on order and plan to put it at the other end of my condo, so if I could access my PC from the mini, that would be cool.

You can. Microsoft released a client version of RDC for mac. It is found at this site: http://www.microsoft.com/mac/otherproducts/otherproducts.aspx?pid=remotedesktopclient.

If you don't have XP Pro, you can use RealVNC on the Windows machine and VNCViewer on the mac and control it that way.

markoibook

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 28, 2004
Reading, UK.
feakbeak said:
This might not be exactly what you had in mind, so I'm sorry if I misunderstand what you are trying to do. I think what you are saying is that you have your PC hooked up to your stereo and you want a way to control how that music plays (flip through tracks, volume up/down) from your iBook remotely? If that's the case AND you have Windows XP Pro you can use the Remote Desktop functionality built into Windows XP Pro to control your PC from the iBook.

Hi that is correct - that is my setup. I currently use RDC from my iBook - very useful for working on PC when I'm sat in the lounge :p , but i was specifically looking for a piece of software that would emulate Airtunes, so that my PC would appear as a set of wireless speakers in iTunes, in the same way that an Airport Express does.
Thanks for the response - I'm sure you have helped alot of people that did not realise what they can do with RDC!

netb0y

macrumors regular
Jan 21, 2004
Remote Desktop client for OS X

feakbeak said:

M$ has a Win32 client to control the WinXP Pro machine remotely, but they only offer it for Windows, but there is a a web version that you can download from MS's site that will setup a webserver on the WinXP machine and then you can simply connect to that website via a browser and control the WinXP Pro machine. I would bet any money the website used to control it would be using ActiveX controls left and right. Knowing M$, you may need to use IE to control it form you iBook, but it might be an option for you.

Remote Desktop client for OS X:
http://www.microsoft.com/mac/otherproducts/otherproducts.aspx?pid=remotedesktopclient

Make sure to select the option to play sounds at the remote machine if you do try this out.

-netb0y

edit: shouldn't have walked away from my desk after hitting reply

feakbeak

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2003
Michigan
Thanks everyone for the information on the RDC Mac client. Not surprisingly, when I was reading M$'s main site about Remote Desktop on Windows XP they failed to mention they had a Mac client. I'll definitely be coming back to check out that link once my Mac mini is setup.

wrc fan

macrumors 65816
markoibook said:
but i was specifically looking for a piece of software that would emulate Airtunes, so that my PC would appear as a set of wireless speakers in iTunes, in the same way that an Airport Express does.
Thanks for the response - I'm sure you have helped alot of people that did not realise what they can do with RDC!

I'm not sure why exactly you would want to do this? You can just play all your music using Rendezvous sharing from the PC. What would be the advantage of sending it through an AirTunes emulator?

markoibook

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 28, 2004
Reading, UK.
oaklandbum said:
I'm not sure why exactly you would want to do this? You can just play all your music using Rendezvous sharing from the PC. What would be the advantage of sending it through an AirTunes emulator?

Well, say you had a headless PC connected to a stereo in your lounge, if it could emulate airport express, then you could play music from your ibook or powerbook through your stereo without wires.

A lot of people have suggested using RDC and using rendezvous music sharing, but to be honest this is a bit of a pain if you are using other apps on your mac. However if your PC showed up in iTunes as an airport express, then you could use iTunes on your mac and "force" the music to play through your PC/stereo setup

feakbeak

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2003
Michigan
markoibook said:
Well, say you had a headless PC connected to a stereo in your lounge, if it could emulate airport express, then you could play music from your ibook or powerbook through your stereo without wires.

A lot of people have suggested using RDC and using rendezvous music sharing, but to be honest this is a bit of a pain if you are using other apps on your mac. However if your PC showed up in iTunes as an airport express, then you could use iTunes on your mac and "force" the music to play through your PC/stereo setup

Okay, now for the obvious question. Why not just buy an Airport Express? They are not that expensive and it's a cool gadget to have around for wireless, setting up a pritner on your network, streaming music, etc.

Once my stereo system is complete I plan to purchase one. Still, I'm hoping they come out with a more dedicated media streaming box that will hook up to a TV also and let you use a remote with an on screen display to browse your music collection, control what songs/playlists to play and also allow you to view photos, slideshows and movies from iLife on your Mac as well. I'd pay $200-250 for a box with those capabilities.

varmit

macrumors 68000
Aug 5, 2003
1) Setup iTunes on PC.
2) Share iBooks music in iTunes.
3) On the PC, open iTunes and play music from iBook. (can be done remotely with Remote Desktop (Mac version on MS website) if PC is XP, or you can use VNC, or done right at the PC)
4) ??????
5) Profit!

pikarrachu

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2007
Air Tunes Emulator

I have the same problem than markoibook: I would like to run Airtunes (form XP) and stream music to other PC running XP and connected to the amp.
Airport Express does not bring all the functionality I need (I prefer the media center concept) nor the new AppleTV, so I am looking for some piece of software that could emulater the 'remote' speakers' functionality.
Anyone can help?

pikarrachu

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2007
Airtunes Emulation

If you share an iTunes library (located in PC A) certainly you can play music from a remote PC connected to the network and to the amp (PC B). This is basic, off-the-shelf configuration (pull mode). What I am looking for is the other way round: to play from PC A, and have the music both locally in PC A and in PC B (via streaming). This way you can manage everything from the offce PC (PC A) and reproduce everywhere.
In fact it is like AirTunes functionality but without Airport Express.

yanal84

macrumors newbie
Apr 3, 2008
im trying to do the same thing am pretty sure that there is piece of software out there, please post if you got it figured out....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.