Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

whsbuss

macrumors 601
Original poster
May 4, 2010
SE Penna.
ive tried just about every weather app on my iPhone 6 and. OT one of them are pushing warning notifications. Is it just me?

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
ive tried just about every weather app on my iPhone 6 and. OT one of them are pushing warning notifications. Is it just me?

If there is a weather related emergency there is a government alert system built into iOS. Its at the bottom of settings > notifications. I've had it go off a few times in the past year for Flash Flood warnings here in California.

Reactions: ABC5S

whsbuss

macrumors 601
Original poster
May 4, 2010
SE Penna.
If there is a weather related emergency there is a government alert system built into iOS. Its at the bottom of settings > notifications. I've had it go off a few times in the past year for Flash Flood warnings here in California.

Yes thanks Armen. That has worked but apps like WeatherChannel, WeatherUnderground, WeatherBug don't send push notifications. We have a winter weather warning in effect and I never received anything. Yet in the app it shows there's an alert.

BD1

macrumors 6502
Jun 27, 2007
Try Storm (newer app from weather underground).....it's weather warning/watch notifications work great. You can customize the rain/snow alert to trigger based on distance. It also has lightening alerts where you can also set the alert distance. Cool UI also (need to hunt around for all the tricks in help section). I have tried almost all the weather apps and like this the best.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/storm-radar-storm-tracking/id955957721?mt=8

whsbuss

macrumors 601
Original poster
May 4, 2010
SE Penna.
Try Storm (newer app from weather underground).....it's weather warning/watch notifications work great. You can customize the rain/snow alert to trigger based on distance. It also has lightening alerts where you can also set the alert distance. Cool UI also (need to hunt around for all the tricks in help section). I have tried almost all the weather apps and like this the best.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/storm-radar-storm-tracking/id955957721?mt=8

I also have Storm. It is a nice app and I do get the rain/precip distance alerts. But their regular one, where I have all 15 alerts configured for my location, I get nothing.

theshoehorn

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2010
Same here with Weather Underground... it used to work amazingly. But for some reason lately it stopped and nothing I can do helps... I even removed the app and reinstalled, and re-setup the alerts but still nothing. I reverted to having Weather Underground send me texts when there's an alert so I don't miss them.

Reactions: colburnr

whsbuss

macrumors 601
Original poster
May 4, 2010
SE Penna.
Same here with Weather Underground... it used to work amazingly. But for some reason lately it stopped and nothing I can do helps... I even removed the app and reinstalled, and re-setup the alerts but still nothing. I reverted to having Weather Underground send me texts when there's an alert so I don't miss them.

Exactly what I did. I've sent a few emails to their support team (which used to respond quickly) but nothing yet.

Reactions: colburnr

BD1

macrumors 6502
Jun 27, 2007
I am getting regular weather alerts (e.g. winter storm advisory) on the Storm app.

whsbuss

macrumors 601
Original poster
May 4, 2010
SE Penna.
Seems WU had issues they didn't admit to. Just updated to their latest release (today) and in-app notifications worked immediately.

campyguy

macrumors 68040
Mar 21, 2014
Ever since they were bought by the Weather Channel...
Which was sucked up by IBM... We need Watson to stop playing chess or Jeopardy and get back to work...

Notifications started working again yesterday with the latest WU app update for me, but also with the Storm app as well...

Reactions: whsbuss

theshoehorn

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2010
Seems WU had issues they didn't admit to. Just updated to their latest release (today) and in-app notifications worked immediately.
Good to know! Now i need to wait for an event to happen here to find out if mine's working too...

BD1

macrumors 6502
Jun 27, 2007
BeWeather is nice!

Another weather underground app

BeWeather is nice but I switched to Storm. Storm has lightening alerts along with rain alerts and I found beweather's alerts don't always work. Plus Storm has great map feature with tons of detail and layers. You can quickly see what's going on on one page then drill down into all kinds of weather details.

Reactions: whsbuss
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.