Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mmcxiiad

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 19, 2002
we have an xserve with 10.5.2 running. DNS is working properly & internal clients can get to the web server through the fully qualified domain name (servername.domain.com)

The problem is i can't access it from the internet.

we have a dynamic ip address and i am using dyndns. I know it is working because I can pull up the config page for the router (dlink dir-655) outside of my network. (hostname.homeip.net:routerport)

The web server is just set for the standard port 80. I have tried port forwarding 80 to my server's ip address, using virtual server to fwd 80 to the server and even used dmz to open the server wide up to the internet. None of these allow me to access my web server. Any ideas what i am doing wrong?

mmcxiiad

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 19, 2002
yes, here is what i have tried:

ip address xx.xx.xx.xx - nothing
ip address xx.xx.xx.xx:routerport - pulls up router config page

which is the identical results using the dyndns host

hostname.homeip.net - nothing
hostname.homeip.net:routerport - pulls up router config page

so i know that my ip address is being updated to my dyndns account. I am pretty sure that it is either something in the router preventing this from working.

jeremy.king

macrumors 603
Jul 23, 2002
Holly Springs, NC
yes, here is what i have tried:

ip address xx.xx.xx.xx - nothing
ip address xx.xx.xx.xx:routerport - pulls up router config page

which is the identical results using the dyndns host

hostname.homeip.net - nothing
hostname.homeip.net:routerport - pulls up router config page

so i know that my ip address is being updated to my dyndns account. I am pretty sure that it is either something in the router preventing this from working.

Yeah, I would assume the same - but I can't help your there as I have no experience with DLink.

Do you have any funky firewall rules on your webserver. Have you tried turning off firewall to test?

mmcxiiad

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 19, 2002
figured it out:

apparently port 80 is reserved for the router. i have shut off access to the router config on port 80 but it still defaults there. in the virtual port i set the public port as 81 and private port to 80.

so

hostname.homeip.net:81 redirects to my server ip address on port 80. since this is not a public web server this is fine for my needs

mmcxiiad

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 19, 2002
You use an xserve for personal needs? Must be nice ;)

I wish. we run a family business from our home. I needed to set up the wiki server so other members of the family can access it from their home. We were going to get a Mac Pro and use that as the server, but we ordered a refub'd xserve instead. All things considered, to get OSX server unlimited and an xserve for under $2000 was a pretty good deal. Plus having everything in a rack has really helped to cut down on the space needed for all the stuff. So when I said my needs - I meant the company's needs.... but you are right. it is nice!

mmcxiiad

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 19, 2002
What brand of router is that?

it is a dlink consumer router. I have tried a lot of routers. Since we just are a home business I quickly realized that we didn't need 75% of the features of a business class router.

I have also used various linux routers (ipcop, smoothwall, untangle, endian, pfsense, clarkconnect... i am sure there were others too) all with mixed results. we are on a fios connection (30mbit down/5mbit up), and i have found that most of those seem to have problems with the MTU setting that fios uses. I am so frustrated that the best results i get are with the crappy off the shelf routers. The only upside is you can just plug them in and basically go. I don't like the babysitting that linux routers sometimes require. I am not 100% satisfied with the dlink. I am probably going to switch to a dd-wrt based router.

the short version is with linux routers my speeds were cut to 33% of what i get with the off the self routers. not a good trade off in my opinion.

I do miss the transparent proxy filtering i could do with a linux router though (spam, phishing, web, etc). I am always on the look out for something that i could implement that won't kill my speed and still give me more features.

*sigh* the joys of technology.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.