Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kaldestad

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 4, 2003
London England
Plugging in my new hermstedt webshuttle modem while my ibook is on makes my screen crash. It is a scary multi-lingual message telling me to turn off my ibook. If I want to plug it in, it seems I have to do so while my computer is off, and hope I don't crash once I'm on. If I want to unplug it, it seems I have to go to internet connect and disconnect, and for the split second that it's disconnected, and hasn't yet tried to reconnect, I yank out the modem, and that seems to work. Is it supposed to be this delicate?

Suspended
Jun 22, 2001
Re: webshuttle makes ibook crash!!

Originally posted by kaldestad
Plugging in my new hermstedt webshuttle modem while my ibook is on makes my screen crash. It is a scary multi-lingual message telling me to turn off my ibook. If I want to plug it in, it seems I have to do so while my computer is off, and hope I don't crash once I'm on. If I want to unplug it, it seems I have to go to internet connect and disconnect, and for the split second that it's disconnected, and hasn't yet tried to reconnect, I yank out the modem, and that seems to work. Is it supposed to be this delicate?

I have the same modem on 10.2.6 (Never going 10.2.8), and it has been nothing but problems. I am never getting another USB modem. After 10.2.4 the modem didn't even work and Hermstedt had to release another driver update. It's just generally not good. The kernel extensions with USB adsl modems make the system more unstable.

kaldestad

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 4, 2003
London England
webshuttle

I just don't get it. Though I had a hunch that a (more expensive) ethernet connection was the way to go, I read so many good reviews of the webshuttle, I decided to go with the much cheaper option.(got the webshuttle for £40.) I read a lot of bad things about the omnipresent USB alcatel speed touch, but the webshuttle was supposed to have good Mac compatibility. Man, I am bummed. Anyone out there think I can get by with this thing, or is it destined for the trash?

Suspended
Jun 22, 2001
Re: webshuttle

Originally posted by kaldestad
I just don't get it. Though I had a hunch that a (more expensive) ethernet connection was the way to go, I read so many good reviews of the webshuttle, I decided to go with the much cheaper option.(got the webshuttle for £40.) I read a lot of bad things about the omnipresent USB alcatel speed touch, but the webshuttle was supposed to have good Mac compatibility. Man, I am bummed. Anyone out there think I can get by with this thing, or is it destined for the trash?

It'll work, just with more problems when you update the system/drivers etc.

Suspended
Jun 22, 2001
Some good news, the new drivers available from Hermstedt and running panther (B85) have removed many of my problems, I can upload and download at the same time for a year.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.