Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

craigdawg

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 8, 2004
Sactown
When I was coming up, we called it a "melvin".
CLEVELAND (AP) - Wedgie, a teenager's locker-room nightmare, has made it into the dictionary. Webster's New World College Dictionary based in Cleveland said wedgie was among its new additions to its latest edition.

The new edition will carry this listing: wedgie: noun. a prank in which the victim's undershorts are jerked upward so as to become wedged between the buttocks.

The dictionary also carries the tradition wedgie definition of a type of shoe.

"'Wedgie' was always a part of the high school terminology that you sort of never thought about later," said Editor in Chief Michael Agnes.

"It never really entered the mainstream until the '90s. It broke out of high school and, boy - if you don't know what it is, you're absolutely at a loss."

The new edition will reach bookstores by May and has 58 new entries, plus another 20 new senses of existing words (such as wedgie).

The additions include Al Qaeda, blog, cargo pants, irritable bowel syndrome and partial-birth abortion.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
im surprised that it took this long for wedgie to be added

i know the OED has added a lot of stuff in recent years and continues to do so

clayj

macrumors 604
Jan 14, 2005
visiting from downstream
I, too, am surprised it took this long for "wedgie" to appear in the OED... especially since other, much more faddish words have already made it in there.

My guess... someone gave the editor a wedgie, just to prove a point:

<yank>
"Ow! What the hell was that?"
"A wedgie."
"That's not in the OED!"
"Well, maybe it should be..."

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
clayjohanson said:
I, too, am surprised it took this long for "wedgie" to appear in the OED... especially since other, much more faddish words have already made it in there.

My guess... someone gave the editor a wedgie, just to prove a point:

<yank>
"Ow! What the hell was that?"
"A wedgie."
"That's not in the OED!"
"Well, maybe it should be..."

this is Websters, im pretty sure it is in the OED already though

clayj

macrumors 604
Jan 14, 2005
visiting from downstream
PlaceofDis said:
this is Websters, im pretty sure it is in the OED already though
Whoops, my bad. Maybe I should learn to read. :)

My Unabridged Random House dictionary from 1986 does not include "wedgie", but my Encarta dictionary from 1999 does include the variant "wedgy" to describe an intrusion of underpants into the nether regions.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.