Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

oblomow

macrumors 601
Original poster
Apr 14, 2005
Netherlands
The subject of this week's contest is BACKLIGHT
"Backlighting in photography happens when the main light is behind your subject and facing the camera."

As always, standard rules apply:
The photographs must be your own work.

You may only submit one photo per contest.
No commenting or liking photos until after the judging has taken place.
This contest runs for about a week, starting now
At the end of the competition, the judge (last week's winner) will choose a 1st, 2nd and 3rd place photo, providing as much feedback as possible.
The 1st place winner will start a new thread here with the topic/theme of their choice, and act as the judge for that contest. (Winner has 48 hours to create new theme, after that it defers to 2nd place).
Be sure to update the Contest Master List as soon as you post a new theme.
Contest ends March 21st, 9:00 CET

thirsty_monk

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2017
Slovakia
... so here is the winning image ;)

_MG_41001.jpg

oblomow

macrumors 601
Original poster
Apr 14, 2005
Netherlands
include standard disclaimer....

I was happily surprised by the number of photos. Let's hope the contest will be as popular again as some years ago.

@thirsty_monk The winning image. You're in trouble. I love birds and this is a beautiful backlit photo of a bird. Nice and clean image. Eyecontact. What more can we want?

@C0ncreteBl0nde We have all been there. Anxiously waiting on your flight behind a warm window. To be honest the point of focus in this image bugs me.

@Chuckeee Interesting image. The more I look, the more I see. At first glance I didn't notice the dog and the shed.

@stillcrazyman Lovely almost abstract image. I like how you managed to get such a colorfull image with backlight

@mtbdudex The backlight brings accentuate the outline of the bottles. It gives a sharp contrast with the table. I think the dark top corners are a bit distracting.

@Janichsan A lovely morning in the park. I can see myself walking there. Looks like home. You managed to control the backlight. Nice image.

@chown33 The low angle really makes this shot. It makes me feel being stared down by pointy cartoon characters.

@Apple_Glen_UK Lovely colours. Well exposed image. I think it can benefit from a crop that removes the path and bushes in the foreground.

@OldMacs4Me Kodacolor AND backlight! That really warms up the colors.

@_timo_redux_ I can't tell how this makes me feel. Is it ominous or the end of a beautiful day. Anyhow I like it. No comments.

3rd @stillcrazyman and @chown33
2nd @_timo_redux_
1st @thirsty_monk

Last edited:

thirsty_monk

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2017
Slovakia
What a surprise, thank you @oblomow for the first place, next time I'll be more careful with the choice of emoticons :p

Glad you like the image, one of my favourites in my collection of bird images.

New contest will be posted soon-ish.

Reactions: oblomow
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.