Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hughmac

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2012
Kent, UK
My photo was a very first attempt of both long exposure and HDR.

I used an ND 3.0 filter and took 3 bracket shots of 30 seconds each at f/8. I allowed the camera to combine them into one HDR photo.
I felt it looked quite pleasing converted to sepia, although I kept the colour version as well, but I agree it looks nowhere as good as the other entries.

Congrats to the winners, very nice pictures all :)

Cheers :)

Hugh

Reactions: koilvr

kenoh

macrumors demi-god
Jul 18, 2008
Glasgow, UK
My photo was a very first attempt of both long exposure and HDR.

I used an ND 3.0 filter and took 3 bracket shots of 30 seconds each at f/8. I allowed the camera to combine them into one HDR photo.
I felt it looked quite pleasing converted to sepia, although I kept the colour version as well, but I agree it looks nowhere as good as the other entries.

Congrats to the winners, very nice pictures all :)

Hugh

OK stop right there... It is a good image. I think you will enjoy it if you get a few more under the belt...

Reactions: koilvr and Hughmac

koilvr

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 15, 2010
Knoxville, TN
Agree this was a very very bad challenge. I shall have a long exposure photo up in a day or to. Since I did this challenge now I will show you guys my Long exposure HDR soon. Its only fair.

I hope I did this justice and did it correctly. this is my first one.

Hughmac

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2012
Kent, UK
No, not a bad challenge from my point of view - it got me out and trying something new, and I will keep on trying and playing around with different settings and processing styles.

Hugh

Reactions: kenoh and koilvr

kenoh

macrumors demi-god
Jul 18, 2008
Glasgow, UK
Agree this was a very very bad challenge. I shall have a long exposure photo up in a day or to. Since I did this challenge now I will show you guys my Long exposure HDR soon. Its only fair.

It wasn't a bad challenge. It was a challenge... Interesting and enjoyable but yes takes skill. No harm in a tough one...

anotherscotsman

macrumors 68020
Aug 2, 2014
UK

Thanks for the feedback Koilvr - much appreciated and well done to all who entered. I disagree that this was a bad challenge, on the contrary it highlighted a technique/approach that not many people here have experience with. A big part of the weekly contest is the challenge aspect whether topic or technique.

LONG exposure and HIGH dynamic range (not shouting) are pretty much relative to what is being photographed and I think everyone did a great job without over-doing it.

My entry was a 4-minute exposure with a 6-stop ND at f18 at sunset. A bit less cloud than "optimum" to catch the sunset colours and movement but more than compensated by the blue sky reflected in the water. Bl**dy cold though in January this year though.

I've always wanted to get the look of Alexander's shot, either in landscape or in architectural subjects but even with 12-stop (10-stop + polariser) can never get the length of exposure required. Nor can I get the post- done at all effectively.

I'll post a new contest in a bit.

Well-chuffed and thanks again!

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK

I think you did fine with both your choice of subject matter and judging.

Mine was a 1.5 second exposure, so in my book that's long!
Of course these were two images I had in my library not something I shot with HDR and long exposures in mind.

Well done all who took part. Good to get out of our comfort zone now and then.

Reactions: koilvr

rx7dude

macrumors 6502
Mar 29, 2011
Toronto
I enjoyed the challenge. Always fun to experiment with new or different techniques. I realized after seeing the others that 5 seconds is probably not what you had in mind for a "long" exposure. Next time I'm in NYC I'll it give another go.

Reactions: anotherscotsman

Alexander.Of.Oz

macrumors 68040
Oct 29, 2013
Thanks @koilvr for the feedback and judging on this one. Well done to @anotherscotsman for the win and to those who tried it for the first time!

Mine was a five minute long exposure merged with two shorter timed images to create the end result. There was a lot of post production in Photoshop to get the final look however. Something I haven't touched for the longest of times, but plan on revisiting over our Spring and Summer down under.

The lumps are giant sandbags, which to me look like a pod of sea creatures about to head off into the sunset.

anotherscotsman

macrumors 68020
Aug 2, 2014
UK
Well done, all. Congrats to @anotherscotsman for the win. I say we should still try this technique and post results here. I wi8ll give it a whirl when I get through my current work made so hopefully by the end of Sept. I do love a good skills challenge. Thanks for pushing us out of the comfort zone @koilvr!

Good idea - hope you don't mind E3BK but to keep things clean, I've started a new thread on this theme.

Reactions: 0970373
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.