Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

charpi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 30, 2006
Oh. Sorry AlexH. My bad. I was typing the comments post when my browser crashed, so I had to retype the comments, but missed out on the first one. So sorry about that.

@alexH: I actually love your choice of photo and subject. That sign gives a sense of mystery. By itself, one wonders and forms his own story from it. What does the sign mean? Where is it from? A suggestion would be to crop it tigher, emphasizing it's significance.

JDDavis

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2009
@JDDavis: Is this infrared? Looks like it haha. Great shot and I loved the lighting. How did you manage to light up an entire tree with flashes? (I assume flashes because of the black background). Would like to learn the technique from you!

Great job judging Charpi and thanks for all the comments. Congrats to the winners! No, it's not infrared and no flashes. It was in the morning so the sun was low and really lighting up the tree. The sky behind it was a very deep and even blue so I knew I'd be able to convert it to near solid black in post.

needfx

Suspended
Aug 10, 2010
macrumors apparently
wow!

I did not see that coming, thanks Charpi!

I was sure though that MacRy's, Frakkinship's & HalfonWhole's pics would be in the winner selection, I would have chosen them as well!

For the record, the severed mouse is digitally done with some rubber stamping. I made sure the wire kept its circular shape at the edges but I did not add the wiring inside. Bad needfx...

Well done all around!

So, I am in between three subjects for the next contest, make sure to vote for the one you want!

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1830480/

Last edited:

MacRy

macrumors 601
Apr 2, 2004
England
Thanks for the second place, some great pics as ever. I was sure that Frakkinship's was a shoe in for first place this week.

My shot was purely by chance. I always have my camera with me and I was taking the dog for a walk when I spotted the plane arcing across the sky towards the moon and spotted my opportunity to grab an interesting shot. It was fortunate that I had my XE1 with a 135mm lens on at the time as I usually carry my X100 with it's 35mm equivalent. Took a bit of cropping to get it like that but I was relatively pleased with the result.

AlexH

macrumors 68020
Mar 7, 2006
Oh. Sorry AlexH. My bad. I was typing the comments post when my browser crashed, so I had to retype the comments, but missed out on the first one. So sorry about that.

@alexH: I actually love your choice of photo and subject. That sign gives a sense of mystery. By itself, one wonders and forms his own story from it. What does the sign mean? Where is it from? A suggestion would be to crop it tigher, emphasizing it's significance.
No problem, judging that many photos with a technical difficulty thrown in is a little challenging! Thank you for the kind words and suggestion. You did a great job judging this week's collection of photos.

----------

Thanks for all the comments charpi. Well done the winners and everyone!

Thanks for the comments on my photo and taken on board. It's good to get a fresh perspective. Is it me—I don't see your comments on AlexH's picture, the first one. I'm sure he'd like them if you've time to put them up. :)
Thanks! I thought for a moment I might be the winner, you know, saving the best for last! :D

needfx

Suspended
Aug 10, 2010
macrumors apparently
original pic vs final

Attachments

• IMG_6726.jpg
    IMG_6726.jpg
    810.4 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_6726_edited_small.jpg
    IMG_6726_edited_small.jpg
    604.3 KB · Views: 94

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Well done all round, some really great photographs.

Personally, I really loved HalfOnWhole's picture, and greatly liked those of Hughmac, kingalexthe1st, and those of both MacRy and imac wannabe; some great interpretations of the thee for the week - I had wondered how it would be treated and what sort of entries people would put forward.

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
@Anonymous Freak: The beach looks so empty, yet, on closer inspection, it is full of people, just shrouded by the fog. Love that effect. I would suggest experimenting around with the cropping a little but I think it is very good as it is.

Thanks for the comments - it was one of those "woah, it's eerie out here!" moments, with the fog extending from "horizon to horizon" (the beach itself, horizontally speaking.) I have played with various crops, but the full panorama, to me, just helps keep the eerie "emptiness" of it. (As you said, in spite of the fact that there were plenty of people there.)

And sorry for the low-quality, I forgot to go back and re-attach the full-resolution version - I only had the low-res one handy when entering. Here's the full-res, which also had some color correction applied:

Attachments

• Foggy Beach.jpg
    Foggy Beach.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 80
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.