Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RedOctober

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 14, 2015
West side of Oz
For the theme of this weeks contest, I have decided upon The Power of Love as the theme.

I've always been interested in how photography can capture emotive situations and there's no more powerful emotion than love.

Enjoy the theme and have fun with it!

Rules:
  • Be creative and have fun.
  • You may only submit one photo per contest.
  • Please do not comment on photos until after the judging has taken place.
  • The contest runs for one week, starting NOW! (see time/date stamp at the start of this thread.)
  • At the end of the week, The Judge (last week's Winner) will choose a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place photo, providing as much feedback as possible.
  • The 1st place Winner will start a new thread with the topic/theme of their choice, and act as the Judge for that contest. (Winner has 48 hours to create new theme, after that it defers to 2nd place).

Robotti

macrumors regular
Oct 16, 2014
2016-06-09.png

RedOctober

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 14, 2015
West side of Oz
OK, I'll call time for this week's comp, and thank you all for your entries, I have to say they represent the theme very well.

First cab off the rank was @kenoh: I love the smile on the mum's face as she holds her daughter close. Perfect!

@needfx: Great subtle shading and highlight, certainly gives the spotlight on the couple being affectionate. Would have been interesting to see what they were reading.

@Robotti: Interesting capture! Love the colours of their costumes.

@dwfaust: The smile on your grandson's face is so full of joy! Love it!

@MacRy: That is a fantastic shot - you captured the tenderness of the moment, wonderful!

@anotherscotsman: Well, what can I say? Lovely colours and it shows the love a man has for his machine, good job!

@inkmich: You captured a sombre moment well. Who laid the flowers at her grave, was it her husband? Something to ponder.

@Alexander.Of.Oz: Another moment of tenderness between mother and baby captured quite well. The stalk of green was a bit of a distraction though.

@soulreaver99: Wow, this one is tells a powerful story of love between father and daughter. One could only imagine what the bridegroom (I assume it's the bridegroom sitting behind the table there) is thinking.

@Apple fanboy: Interesting take on the theme, and great use of bokeh!

@georgeinnj: Lovely take on the mom's joy with the son.

@ The Bad Guy: Another great capture, you could almost feel the glow from the mum!

OK, time for the place getters and it's a close one:

3rd place: @soulreaver99
2nd place: @MacRy
1st place: @dwfaust

Congrats, and over to you!!

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
OK, I'll call time for this week's comp, and thank you all for your entries, I have to say they represent the theme very well.

First cab off the rank was @kenoh: I love the smile on the mum's face as she holds her daughter close. Perfect!

@needfx: Great subtle shading and highlight, certainly gives the spotlight on the couple being affectionate. Would have been interesting to see what they were reading.

@Robotti: Interesting capture! Love the colours of their costumes.

@dwfaust: The smile on your grandson's face is so full of joy! Love it!

@MacRy: That is a fantastic shot - you captured the tenderness of the moment, wonderful!

@anotherscotsman: Well, what can I say? Lovely colours and it shows the love a man has for his machine, good job!

@inkmich: You captured a sombre moment well. Who laid the flowers at her grave, was it her husband? Something to ponder.

@Alexander.Of.Oz: Another moment of tenderness between mother and baby captured quite well. The stalk of green was a bit of a distraction though.

@soulreaver99: Wow, this one is tells a powerful story of love between father and daughter. One could only imagine what the bridegroom (I assume it's the bridegroom sitting behind the table there) is thinking.

@Apple fanboy: Interesting take on the theme, and great use of bokeh!

@georgeinnj: Lovely take on the mom's joy with the son.

@ The Bad Guy: Another great capture, you could almost feel the glow from the mum!

OK, time for the place getters and it's a close one:

3rd place: @soulreaver99
2nd place: @MacRy
1st place: @dwfaust

Congrats, and over to you!!
Well done everyone.
I was struggling for an idea for ages with this one. Especially as I'm not much of a people person.
Then my model (Mrs AFB) wasn't really feeling well so it was a bit rushed trying to get the right angle/lighting etc.

MacRy

macrumors 601
Apr 2, 2004
England
Well done dwfaust - a lovely tender moment there.

Mine was of my godson on the day he was born.

AFB can you explain yours as I don't get it.

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
Thanks, guys. I appreciate the kind words.

I debated cropping the photo into landscape, and the rug in the foreground was another element that I struggled with. Glad you liked it the way it is. :D

With all of the talented photographers on the MR site, I am honored to even be allowed to participate.

kenoh

macrumors demi-god
Jul 18, 2008
Glasgow, UK
Well done dwfaust - a lovely tender moment there.

Mine was of my godson on the day he was born.

AFB can you explain yours as I don't get it.

Really? If the house is rockin' dont come knockin' ???
[doublepost=1466020029][/doublepost]Great judging. Great topic, worthy winners. Good stretch comp this week. Well done winners

georgeinnj

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2010
New Jersey, USA
A mother and her son enjoying some time together. :D

Kimberly Maternity
by Adam Campbell, on Flickr

Ha! get a shot when she's ready to deliver and see how much of a smile she has then :)

By the way right after I took my shot of mother and son the little scamp tried to shove her into the pool. She was prepared for it though because she flipped him right into the pool.

Last edited:
Reactions: RedOctober

Alexander.Of.Oz

macrumors 68040
Oct 29, 2013
Congrats to @dwfaust and thanks to @RedOctober for the feedback. This was a hard one for me, not doing people images meant I had to fall back on animals for this one. I do see the leaf as a distraction too, but have never been bothered to photoshop it out.

Reactions: RedOctober
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.