Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

squawk7000

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 20, 2021
Scotland
Abandoned: empty of people and unused, not maintained by the owner or inhabitants.

wether it be a car, a set of tools, a building or a bridge, we are surrounded by abandoned engineering. Use your imagination and show the stuff that is no longer used.

SaddellAbbey-1000221.jpg

Carradale-0084.jpg

As always, standard rules apply:
The photographs must be your own work.

You may only submit one photo per contest.

No commenting or liking photos until after the judging has taken place.

This contest runs for about a week, starting now

At the end of the competition, the judge (last week's winner) will choose a 1st, 2nd and 3rd place photo, providing as much feedback as possible.

The 1st place winner will start a new thread here with the topic/theme of their choice, and act as the judge for that contest. (Winner has 48 hours to create new theme, after that it defers to 2nd place).

Be sure to update the Contest Master List as soon as you post a new theme.

Contest ends May 9 ay 16.00 BST (15.00GMT+1)

Last edited:

mollyc

macrumors 604
Aug 18, 2016
Web_June_13_2019_001.jpg

this house was torn down a few months after this photo, and now, five years later, a new house is finally being built. we struggled for years with the overgrowth over the fence, as the previous owners were "gardeners" and the new owners left it empty for so long.

squawk7000

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 20, 2021
Scotland
Thanks to everyone that submitted photos for this topic. A very pleasing variety of photographs with their own stories to tell, raising questions and leaving a satisfying smile on my face.

@piatigorsky - No doubt this was some architects pride and joy, but overtaken by time with crumbling concrete and influx of urban taggers. A strong composition helped by the black and white processing.

@someoldguy - Truly abandoned and cannibalised. One wonders how it got there, and why hasn’t some hot-rodder reclaimed it to cut down and place on a new chassis. Nice rendering to black and white.

@mollyc - Given a chance nature will always try to reclaim its own. I like the way you have captured the overgrown nature of the garden hiding the house that is in there somewhere.

@oblomow - The tree growing out of the roof show a not just abandoned, but forgotten building. The roof has already fallen in, and how long before the walls follow. I feel the cars distract from the building, but that’s me.

@OldMacs4Me - I could spend hours crawling over machines like this trying to work out what they are designed to do, how they do it, and why they are abandoned. The inclusion of the display board is helpful, but I think it detracts from the composition of the photo.

@Apple_Glen_UK - Not so much abandoned but destroyed and slowly rusting away after the devastating fire years ago. I wonder how long before it finally collapses. The wind farm on the horizon shows some hope for the future, but how long before they become abandoned.

@Jumpthesnark - Abandoned, overgrown and forgotten. I wonder what the last film there was. Very pleasing processing to black and white.

@Strider64 - Another abandoned object that gives an opportunity to poke about to work out how it works. Abandoned but turned into a piece of public art. I ask myself if the cars in the background get in the way or give some context to the photo.

@triptolemus - Forgotten, decaying and an urban explorer’s delight. It’s as if the occupants one day walked out and threw away the keys. I glad you have shot this in colour which highlights the rotting wood.

@C0ncreteBl0nde - Somebody’s home that has been abandoned so long it is giving up the fight with gravity. I like the way you show the building collapsing one direction and the grass leaning the other way.

@_timo_redux_ - Abandoned, crumbling and falling in on itself plus the blue light gives the impression of the life being sucked out of what is left. Leaves me wondering why it has reached this condition.

Difficult to select my favourites, but …
3. @C0ncreteBl0nde
2. @_timo_redux_
1. @piatigorsky

Congratulations to all of you. Over to piatigorsky

piatigorsky

macrumors member
Aug 24, 2008
Wow, this was a pleasant surprise to begin my work day, especially considering I'm still a forum newbie! Thank you @squawk7000, although I might add that this photo was shot on b&w film, so it was b&w to begin with rather than processed in post. But you're right, I think in scenes like this the lack of color heightens the feel.

Let me have a good think about the topic next week, right now it's off to work.

Reactions: squawk7000
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.