Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hypnosis

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 16, 2015
Hi guys. Not sure if this is the right place to post, but I've run into a problem out of nowhere where YouTube's quality goes crazy bad when I play a video on fullscreen. Everything that is white in the video, especially sunlight, becomes super bright and pixellated. This only happens on YouTube, and it only happens when I go fullscreen. I've also noticed that this happens only when my cursor disappears (from the inactivity). When I move my cursor (causing it to reappear), the quality goes back to normal.

I've tried other sites and they all work fine; it is just YouTube and it only happens when I go fullscreen and the mouse cursor disappears due to inactivity. This happened randomly, too. I was using my MBP in the morning earlier today and watching videos on YouTube fullscreen with no problem. I start it up tonight, pop a video, and notice the quality becomes unbearable to watch through.

Any troubleshooting tips greatly appreciated!

EDIT: This is a brand new 2015 13" MacBook Pro

Nidron

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2010
Stockholm
They seem to have updated YouTube to the new player for Safari as of today, and it doesn't work very well at all. It's propably just a software problem, it's going to be fixed sooner or later.

On the other hand, Safari hasn't been unstable and slow for some reason during the last couple of days and I don't understand why..

I think I'll propably just use Chrome for the time being.

GlenK

macrumors 65816
Aug 1, 2013
St. Augustine, FL
My youtube video screen goes black when playing a video. I get audio but video is blacked out. Flash was up to date and updated flip4Mac but neither did any good. Any help appreciated!!

ivoruest

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2010
Guatemala
I also have problems with Youtube. It lags to go full screen and doesn't let me play at 4K (on 4K available videos of course). This problems show in general with Flash Player and using Safari. Both are up to date as well.

iMac 5K running Yosemite 10.10.4 and today as well with 10.10.5.

Hypnosis

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 16, 2015
bump. my whites are still super messed up (pixellated and super bright) on youtube fullscreen when my macbook's cursor, for a lack of better words, goes away.

edit: i just realized it also does it on other HTML players when i go fullscreen...

this is on Safari by the way

Last edited:

Hypnosis

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 16, 2015
Just noticed that it also does not happen on ALL videos on YouTube. It's very very weird.

GlenK

macrumors 65816
Aug 1, 2013
St. Augustine, FL
I had two YouTube extensions; clea.nr Videos and YouTube Center. Disabled them both and YouTube started working perfectly again. Both had worked before but something changed and I have no idea what. But getting rid of them did the trick.

Hypnosis

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 16, 2015
I had two YouTube extensions; clea.nr Videos and YouTube Center. Disabled them both and YouTube started working perfectly again. Both had worked before but something changed and I have no idea what. But getting rid of them did the trick.

Don't have any extensions. Besides, this issue is on HTML players it seems. Weird though because it does not affect every YouTube video. It definitely affects every video played through a HTML streamer.

Can someone confirm whether or not YouTube plays all videos through HTML?

Hypnosis

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 16, 2015
So I pieced the problem together. I think.

I noticed that the "whites" caused by sunlight IN my videos have been the ones that are extremely pixelated and just terrible quality. Then it dawned me... f.lux. For those who don't know, f.lux is an application that provides orange/warm light to reduce eye strain during nighttime (check it out - it's pretty great). So, I disabled f.lux and voila! The whites were no longer pixelated and everything was great. Turned f.lux back on, refreshed video, and yep you guessed it... the problem was back.

BUT, this doesn't happen on Chrome! Only on Safari. I leave f.lux turned on while using Chrome and can watch videos fine. The "sunlight" in the video doesn't spazz out... no pixelation or bad quality. It's very odd. Anyone know why this might be the case?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.