Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

plutnicki

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 7, 2003
I have a 3rd generation 10g iPod. Since installing the 2.1 firmware, and new iTunes, I've seen a very strange problem twice.

I will frequently charge the Pod from my system, connected to the firewire cable. I unmount it, so I can just pop it out when I'm ready to move.

2 times now, while it's sitting, connected, unmounted, charging (with the full screen battery charge indicator), it will all of a sudden come up with the "Do Not Disconnect screen". It is not mounted on the system at all. I cannot just power the Pod off.

I reset the Pod, it mounted and I unmounted it, now it's charging again.

Anyone ever see that behavior? It's new to me. Plus, it seems like the Pod never stops charging.... It wasn't totally dead when I connected it, and it's be charging for like 2.5 hours now.

Thx,

G5isAlive

Contributor
Aug 28, 2003
iPod battery

I have seen related behavior, though not quite the same as you describe. If I have my 3rd gen ipod sitting in its dock it says it is charging for hours, but when I remove it no charge is showing. If I then start playing the charge bar creeps up until it hits full charge.

Bizarre.

theipodgod16

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2003
Berkeley, CA
i have version 1.3 i have seen the same thing. The battery bar will say 1 bar after fully charged, then it will jump up to all 4. Also have seent the do not disconnect diolouge too. just click update ipod in itunes an itll say ok to disconnect.

tomf87

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2003
Re: Weird iPod behavior

Originally posted by plutnicki
... 2 times now, while it's sitting, connected, unmounted, charging (with the full screen battery charge indicator), it will all of a sudden come up with the "Do Not Disconnect screen". It is not mounted on the system at all. I cannot just power the Pod off...

Mine wasn't mounted on the desktop and it had the "Do Not Disconnect" message. I went into iTunes to force it to mount. Then I drug the desktop icon to the trash, and it did the same thing. However, this time I saw that iTunes still was looking at the iPod. CTRL-click the iPod in iTunes and hit eject and it came out with no problem. I think with the new firmware they may have lost the sync between the desk icon and iTunes.

pauld

macrumors regular
Re: iPod battery

Originally posted by G5isAlive
I have seen related behavior, though not quite the same as you describe. If I have my 3rd gen ipod sitting in its dock it says it is charging for hours, but when I remove it no charge is showing. If I then start playing the charge bar creeps up until it hits full charge.

Bizarre.

Happened to me this morning

ALSO,

since adding that new update a few days ago I'm frequently getting tracks ending about two thirds the way through (I remember this was a problem when the 3G's came out but they fixed it quickly)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.