Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Abazigal

Contributor
Original poster
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
I use "Hey Siri" to dictate a txt message on my Apple Watch and it works perfectly. But then the preview comes up and there is only an option to dismiss it. No button to send it. I have to say "Hey Siri, Send" to deliver the message.

Am I missing something?

iObama

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2008
No, this is one of my biggest gripes with the Apple Watch. Not sure why it functions like that? I have to click the crown to exit.

andylel

macrumors member
May 12, 2015
You are indeed missing something. If, having dictated your message, you cover the screen with your hand (thereby putting it to sleep) the message will be sent immediately. Alternatively just lower your arm and go about your business and the message will send in 10 - 20 seconds.

BarracksSi

Suspended
Jul 14, 2015
I use "Hey Siri" to dictate a txt message on my Apple Watch and it works perfectly. But then the preview comes up and there is only an option to dismiss it. No button to send it. I have to say "Hey Siri, Send" to deliver the message.

Am I missing something?
Put your wrist down and it'll send automatically.

I think it used to have a "send now" button, but it's been a long time, and I stopped using it (the "send now" button, that is) sometime in late 2015. Still have the Watch.

newdeal

macrumors 68030
Oct 21, 2009
it sends by itself but I agree its confusing that you get no indication that it has sent

BarracksSi

Suspended
Jul 14, 2015
it sends by itself but I agree its confusing that you get no indication that it has sent

Yeah, it is a little confusing, or maybe unnerving.

On the other hand, if it gave a notification right away, like "dictate text -> put down wrist -> text sends -> notify that text was sent", I'd habitually look at the watch one more time, thinking that the other person already responded. If I saw only, "Text delivered", I'd start to get annoyed after a few times and try to turn it off.

There's a certain amount of trust to make an interaction as brief as this. After a few times of doing it, I don't worry as much.

newdeal

macrumors 68030
Oct 21, 2009
Yeah, it is a little confusing, or maybe unnerving.

On the other hand, if it gave a notification right away, like "dictate text -> put down wrist -> text sends -> notify that text was sent", I'd habitually look at the watch one more time, thinking that the other person already responded. If I saw only, "Text delivered", I'd start to get annoyed after a few times and try to turn it off.

There's a certain amount of trust to make an interaction as brief as this. After a few times of doing it, I don't worry as much.

you have to look at your wrist anyway to make sure it doesn't say something weird, the least it could do is give you a countdown on the screen until it sends so you know it will send if you do nothing

BarracksSi

Suspended
Jul 14, 2015
you have to look at your wrist anyway to make sure it doesn't say something weird, the least it could do is give you a countdown on the screen until it sends so you know it will send if you do nothing
If it added a visible countdown, it would take away either a view of the text or reduce the size of the "Dismiss" button -- neither of which is desirable, IMO.

Abazigal

Contributor
Original poster
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Thanks for all the responses. Pressing the digital crown does send the message, though there is no indicator that the message has been sent (animation is indistinguishable from dismissing an app). Would never have figured it out by myself in a million years.

Reactions: Vampire14

vanryan

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2016
I am glad that I wasn't the only one confused by this. It's similar behaviour when creating a reminder. Thanks!

Kyle76

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2017
North Carolina
The positive about pressing the crown to send (it does give a whoosh sound as feedback) is that it's so easy to do, even without looking. A screen button is easy to miss with your finger. The crown is dead simple to find, and you know when you've pressed it. You don't need feedback: the message is sent. I think it happens to be a great design, though Apple could perhaps do more to make it known.

Reactions: db67fm

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
I didn't know about the "just put your wrist down" technique. This will be helpful.

I hate using the crown to send because my right hand usually isn't free to push the button. That's why I'm dictating the message in the first place.

What I usually do is to wait for Siri to finish typing out my message. Then I say "Hey Siri <pause> send". After which, I'll get the nice swoosh notification.

EDIT - This is what I get for not reading the OP entirely.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.