Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

djbuddha

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 7, 2011
I’m completely stumped by this.

At home I have a mesh network (ASUS AIMesh) - every other device connects correctly (Wifi 6)

Here’s the weirdness. In January I grabbed a completely maxed out 16” MacBook Pro. It’s amazing, but the Wi-Fi isn’t performing right at all.

My internet connection is 8 gigabit which I get full speed on wired connections (including with this machine), on Wi-Fi here’s what I observe:

2019 i9 Intel 8 core 16” MacBook Pro (June 2020 refresh)
Wi-Fi TX: 1300 mbps

Download / Upload speed: 800/800 (extremely consistent)

iPhone 13 Pro Max

Download / Upload speed 750/750 again, extremely consistent

2023 M3 Max 16” MacBook Pro
Wi-Fi TX: 210

Download / Upload speed 1100/140

Out of total frustration (I do a ton of uploads of video for work), I reformatted the machine on an external NVME Thunderbolt drive. Same result. Reformatted the internal drive, same result.

I submitted a bug report if they actually see it.

If I had to guess, I’ve heard that the Vision Pro wants a specific channel (I don’t use automatic channel switching on the router for congestion reasons) and my SSID’s for each frequency are separated so only my IoT devices (Nest Thermostat/ Smart home devices) stay on 2.4 GHz.

None of my other devices struggle at all with Wi-Fi. And I won’t switch channels because everything else is clogged up. The only issue is this computer.

Also the 210mbps TX rate is suspicious as I get over gigabit on the download side. I’ve tried speedtest.net and iPerf within the network and observe the same behaviour. It’s like the driver is completely messed up.

Is anybody else having this issue?

macman4789

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2007
Have you taken the laptop in question to another WiFi network to see if you get any faster speeds? Just to isolate if it’s a network specific issue or maybe hardware?

djbuddha

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 7, 2011
Have you taken the laptop in question to another WiFi network to see if you get any faster speeds? Just to isolate if it’s a network specific issue or maybe hardware?
I have, same problem. Not sure what is happening. Even before I tried it elsewhere, I know it’s not my home network when all my other devices are working correctly and can hit 750/750 on average.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.