Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tunster

macrumors 6502
Nov 28, 2009
I am also such an exception , went from X to SE2 and still happy with it. Price was a nice benefit but main reasons were Touch ID , 16:9 aspect ratio without notch, weight and size. Glad they keep the classic design so I can upgrade to SE3 some day.
If it isn't broken, why fix a design that works? Maybe they've got that shell built really efficiently with minimal build problems or returns.

Is there any other technology company that remixes their older hardware with newer internals?

Lop1

macrumors member
Nov 18, 2014
I am also such an exception , went from X to SE2 and still happy with it. Price was a nice benefit but main reasons were Touch ID , 16:9 aspect ratio without notch, weight and size. Glad they keep the classic design so I can upgrade to SE3 some day.

YES 16:9 , so much better than all these long and narrow devices.

Reactions: silas576

jntdroid

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2011
There is something that I keep forgetting that can mitigate some of the Touch ID woes: backtap. This is a feature not available on the SE; it's only available on the 12 and 13 generations. It's an Accessibility feature that enables you to assign actions to double-tapping or triple-tapping the back of the phone. You can, for example, assign "Home" to a double-tap and "Control Center" to a triple-tap. You can even assign a Shortcut to either, which means anything you can program into a Shortcut you can have a double- or triple-tap away.

I haven't tried on my SE yet (3rd Gen), but my son's iPhone 8 does this, so I'm guessing this is not limited to the 12 and 13 lines. ;)

jntdroid

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2011
There's just barely a jump in performance or features over SE 2nd Gen. It's only 1.3x better single core score, 1.4x better multi-core, and 1.2x better graphics over SE 2020.

There's no new hardware besides 5G modem and A15 chip.

So if you can get a new SE 2nd at 30% or less than a new SE 3rd Gen, then I'd get the SE 2nd Gen.

Or even better, just get an 11 at $499 or less -iPhone 11 has 2x optical zoom on cameras, FaceID, ultra wide chip, much larger battery, Night mode for Photos(and also Deep Fusion), U1 chip.

SE 3rd Gen is a huge step back on so many specs. Even iPhone X is a step up on most components (besides SoC and RAM).

When chips are as fast as they have been for the last 5-7 years, upgrades from year-to-year get negligible, even going 2-3 years back won't even be noticeable for most users.

Apple is making everyone overestimate the jumps in performance of its latest chip over past ones and getting so many to put SoC upgrades over substantial hardware upgrades.

A15 won't turn the iPhone 8 into an iPhone 13. It's still an iPhone "8S" no matter what Apple calls it or how high A15 benchmarks go.

As an addendum, there's a 10% bump in battery size on the SE3 (1821 mAh to 2018 mAh). That plus the A15 does provide a nice bump from the SE2 overall.

Reactions: philrock

jntdroid

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2011
YES 16:9 , so much better than all these long and narrow devices.

I have to agree here, too. I had a 13 Mini. I loved a lot about it, but the screen/aspect ratio (and therefor the text) felt squeezed. The default text size on the SE line is actually a bit larger than the Mini's.

Mega ST

macrumors 6502
Feb 11, 2021
Europe
After a week of use I can recommend the SE3. I came from an old 6S and so much like to have kept Touch ID. The camera results are clearly much better (might be just chip and software) and everything works smooth and nicely. WLAN reception feels improved too, we have a bluetooth speaker in the kitchen at a tricky place that now gets fed nicely at high rate radio livestreams. Only mid rate livestreams went uninterrupted before using the 6S. I like the size too and battery life (admittedly without that much use) is good for days. Better than the 6S for sure even when I had the battery changed to new ones back then. I like the "not so fancy" but just a comms tool-attitude of the SE too.
If you are still undecided go for it.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
After a week of use I can recommend the SE3. I came from an old 6S and so much like to have kept Touch ID. The camera results are clearly much better (might be just chip and software) and everything works smooth and nicely. WLAN reception feels improved too, we have a bluetooth speaker in the kitchen at a tricky place that now gets fed nicely at high rate radio livestreams. Only mid rate livestreams went uninterrupted before using the 6S. I like the size too and battery life (admittedly without that much use) is good for days. Better than the 6S for sure even when I had the battery changed to new ones back then. I like the "not so fancy" but just a comms tool-attitude of the SE too.
If you are still undecided go for it.
I think you are the perfect example who Apple targeted with the 2022SE. When compared to the 6S/7, the 2022SE will definitely be superior.

LFC2020

macrumors P6
Apr 4, 2020
You've got a Galaxy Fold 3 though right, i am pretty sure you posted a pic where you was watching the Australian Open on it ? .
Not mine mate. ?

That was someone else’s fold 3 from the fold 3 thread. ?

You know how I feel about Samsung software and their phones.

I’ve given them 2 chances previously.

Once a Samsung galaxy S4, then a note 10+

Never again. ?‍♂️

Rather have my chest waxed than use their phones again.

• Haha
Reactions: snipr125

snipr125

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2015
UK
Not mine mate. ?

That was someone else’s fold 3 from the fold 3 thread. ?

You know how I feel about Samsung software and their phones.

I’ve given them 2 chances previously.

Once a Samsung galaxy S4, then a note 10+

Never again. ?‍♂️

Rather have my chest waxed than use their phones again.

My missus had that phone back in the day. Was god awful with Touchwiz on it, looked like a cartoon. I've tried converting her to the Apple ways, but she hates iphones and just likes Samsungs for some reason ?‍♂️.

To be fair to Samsung though, at least they show a modicum of innovation with their foldable and flip phones, and now they looking to release a 'rollable' phone.

Reactions: LFC2020

LFC2020

macrumors P6
Apr 4, 2020
My missus had that phone back in the day. Was god awful with Touchwiz on it, looked like a cartoon. I've tried converting her to the Apple ways, but she hates iphones and just likes Samsungs for some reason ?‍♂️.

Always them people that will never switch.

Good old touch wiz days, designed by a 2 year old. ?

Used the S4 for a month, stupid thing started turning off on me and lagging, went back to my iPhone asap.

To be fair to Samsung though, at least they show a modicum of innovation with their foldable and flip phones, and now they looking to release a 'rollable' phone.

I’ll give them credit, they push the boundaries when it comes to hardware innovation, their problem is software, not on the same level or polished enough like iOS.

Like the idea of a rollable iPhone, no crease. ?

Hopefully I’ll have a foldable/rollable iPhone before 2030. ??‍♂️

• Haha
Reactions: snipr125
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.