Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

whattodo11

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2010
You're keeping me on the promax… I have been going back-and-forth for the last few weeks about going back to a pro. I love my 15 promax but God at the gym and walking the dogs, the smaller phone would be nice.
Buy a smaller older pro to use in those instances. Seems crazy but I switch back and forth from pro to pro max all the time.

Surfsalot

macrumors 65816
Mar 18, 2023
You're keeping me on the promax… I have been going back-and-forth for the last few weeks about going back to a pro. I love my 15 promax but God at the gym and walking the dogs, the smaller phone would be nice.
I us a Apple Watch cellular and AirPods walking my dog 3-4ks, wouldn’t lug my max with me lol

Al Rukh

macrumors 65816
Nov 15, 2017
I’m a few weeks in now, and even though I find the weight still noticeable, I am really enjoying having the max. I think for me it’s definitely a toss-up between having smaller and lighter vs larger and heavier but easier to use.

I realize the size/weight difference is likely a consideration for many, but maybe they don’t have crappy eyesight or struggle with typing on the smaller keyboard.

I can’t imagine going any larger though, so I‘m not sure which direction I will go if phones get bigger. My goal is to hang on to this one until at least the 17s since this will be my year to upgrade my watch.

Well when the 16 comes out you can get the 6.3-inch model. It’s 0.4 inches smaller but it shouldn’t be too significant.

JamesMay82

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2009
Apple loves to promote their green credentials but I wonder how much good is wiped out with their generous return policy and people trying different devices etc

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
Apple loves to promote their green credentials but I wonder how much good is wiped out with their generous return policy and people trying different devices etc

I’m not sure how that would make a tremendous difference since those items are resold.

I’ve actually only ever returned 3 phones to Apple since the first iPhone, and with 4 (now adult) kids, I’ve bought PLENTY).

Reactions: orbital~debris

JamesMay82

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2009
I’m not sure how that would make a tremendous difference since those items are resold.

I’ve actually only ever returned 3 phones to Apple since the first iPhone, and with 4 (now adult) kids, I’ve bought PLENTY).
yeah but I'd assume returned items have to be sent away, tested, repackaged, shipped out to store or customer again so its increasing the carbon foot print by adding on another journey or 2.

minimo3

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2010
The worst part is Apple’s encouraging people to workout what with their fitness+ and activity rings. When people exercise they generate far more carbon emissions. Whenever I see anyone running outside I yell at them for killing the planet! /s

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
I wouldn’t go back to a smaller phone again. I had the 6+ and for a few years before that I was using Samsung phablets. I got the iPhone X over the iPhone 8+ because of the new technology and the low that the screen was the same size. I could not wait to switch to the XS max when it came out. I couldn’t stand the X. Far too small. I will always have the biggest iPhone available.

Reactions: I7guy

JamesMay82

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2009
The worst part is Apple’s encouraging people to workout what with their fitness+ and activity rings. When people exercise they generate far more carbon emissions. Whenever I see anyone running outside I yell at them for killing the planet! /s
ha you'll love me! I never workout!

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
I am curious though, everyone who gets a plus or pro max talks about how much easier things are to see on the bigger phones, but has anyone actually tried using the vision accessibility settings? Things like Zoom or the stuff under settings>accessibility>display and text size. Wouldn't those give you the best of both worlds; having a bit smaller phone with the regular 15/pro, but still being able to have the more readable text, or is a plus or Pro Max just that much better even with those options. I just feel like not enough people know about all the stuff Apple does for accessibility.
It always confuses me too when people say that, because if they are aware they can change the text size system-wide, then it shouldn’t really be “the bigger screen helps me to read text“—it should be “the bigger screen helps me to scroll less”.🤷‍♂️

Zest28

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2022
In my opinion, if one has to 'get used to' the large size of a phone, that typically means said phone is really too big. A phone should fit natural in the hands and it should be easy to handle, use, and carry.

Consider using a phone as a phone and not as a one size fits all computer type replacement. If you are home and need something a little bigger, then an iPad or Mac is much better (generally speaking).

It is not a phone, it is a mobile computer. People don’t buy an iPhone to make phone calls primarily.

It is an iPad and a MacBook replacement in the end.

You rarely see people in public with their iPad or MacBook because the iPhone does it all.

• Haha
Reactions: geta

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
It always confuses me too when people say that, because if they are aware they can change the text size system-wide, then it shouldn’t really be “the bigger screen helps me to read text“—it should be “the bigger screen helps me to scroll less”.🤷‍♂️

I have had my screen zoomed on my smaller phones - have never gotten a keyboard the size it is when zoomed on my max.

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
I wouldn’t go back to a smaller phone again. I had the 6+ and for a few years before that I was using Samsung phablets. I got the iPhone X over the iPhone 8+ because of the new technology and the low that the screen was the same size. I could not wait to switch to the XS max when it came out. I couldn’t stand the X. Far too small. I will always have the biggest iPhone available.

I’ve had larger phones - had all the pluses from 6-8, and kept the 8+ through the X release. I did get an XR that next year, which was a pretty decent sized phone as well. I had toyed with the XS Max, but found it too large/heavy at the time.

I can’t remember if I switched to a regular pro with the 12 or 13, but I know I had ordered both with the 14s, and went in to the store for pickup and cancelled the max before picking up because I found it too heavy. This year my plan was to just go with a plus because they were ditching the notch, but I decided to go pro max due to the macro camera (which I actually use a pretty decent bit), and then I just didn’t feel comfortable and was afraid to go past the return date with ATT, so I wound up with the regular pro. I just kept wondering if I would’ve adjusted if I’d given it a chance. Then, one daughter got a plus, and one got a pro max, and I realized I really wanted the bigger screen - just needed to give it a fair shot.

I was reading on the phone last night realizing that now it doesn’t look or seem big to me at all. I still notice the weight of it, and wish we could have the best of all the worlds (all the awesome features in a bigger phone that weighed next to nothing - lol), but I think for me the pros are definitely outweighing the con of the weight.

Reactions: Shanghaichica

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
I have had my screen zoomed on my smaller phones - have never gotten a keyboard the size it is when zoomed on my max.
Of course, but keyboard size wasn’t what I was talking about. I was talking about the claim that “the bigger screen helps me to read text”. There are multiple reasons why a big screen is beneficial, including a bigger keyboard for easier typing (although for QuickPath gesture typing I actually find it easier on smaller keyboards especially when using the phone one-handed), and including less scrolling as I said in my last post—but again, being able to clearly read text is not an actual reason for anyone who knows about the text-size option on all iPhones. Zoom is another option as well, but not sure when that is best used.

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010
In my opinion, if one has to 'get used to' the large size of a phone, that typically means said phone is really too big. A phone should fit natural in the hands and it should be easy to handle, use, and carry.

Consider using a phone as a phone and not as a one size fits all computer type replacement. If you are home and need something a little bigger, then an iPad or Mac is much better (generally speaking).
I get phones to review and my previous phone was a Samsung Galaxy S21 than an iPhone 12 Pro. I prefer smaller phones but got the Google Pixel 7 pro and its quite big. I got used to it after a while. Now I also have a pixel 8 and I been using the 7 pro more still FWIW.

weeesss

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2017
Going from 13 Pro to 15 PM, I quickly got used to the size and am very happy with it. Only thing I notice is when holding it one-handed and trying to swipe up with thumb of the hand I am holding it in, it is a little top heavy vs the Pro model my son has seems more balanced. I still prefer the PM.

thatJohann

macrumors 68000
Jul 5, 2013
NYC
Currently using 13 mini, 15, and 15 Pro Max and so far I’d rank them:

First place - 13 Mini (joy to hold)
Second place - 15 (happy medium)
Third place - 15 Pro Max (too big)

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
Currently using 13 mini, 15, and 15 Pro Max and so far I’d rank them:

First place - 13 Mini (joy to hold)
Second place - 15 (happy medium)
Third place - 15 Pro Max (too big)

The mini is a great little phone for sure. Heck I love when I pick up the grandson’s current SE. If all I used my phone for was talking, I’d have an SE and never look back. I just can’t use either of them for much of anything else. If talk to text wasn’t such a joke, I could probably get by with texting on small phones, but it’s awful. Of course I enjoy being able to take decent pictures because I don’t even own a camera at this point, and having a nice screen in hand when I want to read or play a game when I’m sitting around waiting in drs offices or other places is nice.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.