Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which Device would you get?

• Galaxy S4

Votes: 34 24.8%
  • Galaxy Note 3

Votes: 45 32.8%
  • iPhone 5S

Votes: 67 48.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010
I'm getting both the iPhone 5S and Note 3. There's no way I could pick just one, both have so many great things and features.

dkersten

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2010
Looking to switch over to AT&T because I'm sick of Verizon screwing up almost every phone launch. I was looking at the 5C but the price drove me away. Now considering the 5S, Moto X, and HTC One/One Mini. And I'll definitely pick up a Nexus 5/4 (2013).

Got quite the decision ahead of me.

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010
why get the 5S if you have the iphone 5 though?

Couple of reasons. I have the 16GB version, I would like to get at least the 32GB as I have no more room for apps. The extra performance and actually the finger print sensor. I use my iPhone as my work phone (the Note 3 will be my personal phone) with a lot of sensitive information. Right now I have a code to unlock and every app with company info also has a passcode. The finger print sensor will make accessing the phone and those apps much easier for me while making it more secure. Plus I'm getting $350 for my iPhone 5 which will cover my upgrade fully, so why not?

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
Looking forward to having an iPhone again. The 5S seems like a nice upgrade even from the 5 and despite all the freedom and choice I have on my GS4, I'm just simply more of an iOS guy.

And to be honest, as pretty as this big GS4 display is, I'm getting pretty sick of accidental palm touches making it nearly impossible to use this thing one handed unless I'm holding it a certain way. Here's to hoping Apple figures that out before they go with the larger screen size.

I'll still use both and am definitely watching what Google will do with the nexus 5. The one thing apple did to disappoint me was price the 5C where they did. I think it sets up will for three introduction of a larger iPhone next year, but I was looking forward to picking one up as a test phone/backup.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Couple of reasons. I have the 16GB version, I would like to get at least the 32GB as I have no more room for apps. The extra performance and actually the finger print sensor. I use my iPhone as my work phone (the Note 3 will be my personal phone) with a lot of sensitive information. Right now I have a code to unlock and every app with company info also has a passcode. The finger print sensor will make accessing the phone and those apps much easier for me while making it more secure. Plus I'm getting $350 for my iPhone 5 which will cover my upgrade fully, so why not?

Thats a big reason why I'm moving from S4 to note 3 in fairness.

MeUnix

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2013
San Francisco
This. Absurdly so!

I'm not sure why Apple bothered to even have an event for the 5S. So they could say, "The most amazing iPhone yet! Exactly the same as the 5, the 4S and 4, but... it has a fingerprint scanner! And a new color!" Magical. :rolleyes: "And it will only cost you $799 for our leftover cra... I mean new iPhone."

And def Nexus 5. I'm loving the Nexus 4.

Exactly the same? You should actually watch the event so you learn that the phones aren't "exactly" the same.

Last edited by a moderator:

Arni99

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2011
Vienna, Austria
Lumia 1020

Why?
- 4 times larger camera sensor http://sdrv.ms/14E9C97
iPhone 5: 15mm²
Galaxy S4: 16mm²
iPhone 5s: 17mm²
Lumia 1020: 58mm²
Nokia 808: 85mm²
DSLR with APS-C sensor: 332mm²
- optical image stabilisation
- stereo microphones with up to 140dB sound pressure level
- free worldwide navigation

Last edited:

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
Sticking with S4 for now. Might possibility get the Note 3. Curious to see what Apple has in store for the iPhone 6. Not interested in the 5S at all.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
Though this is said relentlessly by Apple apologists, next year truly will be an interesting year for the iPhone what with the likely redesign and all. Will they finally go with a larger device? I have to believe so. And where then will iOS 8 go?

Also worthy considering: by then where will the competition be? Which is almost the same as asking, by then how far ahead will the competition be?

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
Though this is said relentlessly by Apple apologists, next year truly will be an interesting year for the iPhone what with the likely redesign and all. Will they finally go with a larger device? I have to believe so. And where then will iOS 8 go?

Also worthy considering: by then where will the competition be? Which is almost the same as asking, by then how far ahead will the competition be?

It's not the same as asking how far ahead will the competition be, as that is subjective.

Although on paper my Galaxy S3 was worlds ahead of my iPhone 5, I find the iPhone 5 to be the better experience. The battery is smaller, but lasts longer. It only has a dual core processor, but the OS is a lot smoother and tasks are completed much faster. Bluetooth is less powerful, but it connects to my device in my car every time without fail, whereas I often had to restart my S3.

Some things about the iPhone are really frustrating too. I'm not suggesting it's better at everything. For example, the other day I had to e-mail a load of Pages documents to my work computer so I could print them off, but I had to do them one at a time because Pages for iOS doesn't let you send multiple documents at a time.

All in all though, I find the iOS experience much more appealing. I find that Apple puts more thought into the OS and how it will work, than some of the Android manufacturers (namely Samsung), who throw a plethora of features together and see what sticks.

Maybe I should try a Nexus.. I prefer the "clean" experiences.

appledes7

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2011
This list is missing so many great phones: Xperia Z1, LG G2, HTC One, Nexus 4, upcoming Nexus 5, Moto X, etc.

kramjam

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2008
California
The Galaxy Note 3 is incredibly tempting. I definitely need expandable storage, so I don't know how the Nexus 5 would work for me assuming it didn't come with a 64GB option (Screw non-unlimited data plans). I would eventually like to remove the look of TouchWiz if I did end up with the Note, as I do find stock Android really beautiful - unless the S Pen really changes my feelings about the UI.

tekno

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2011
I was very sceptical about the fingerprint sensor, but seeing it work, I think it's very nice. Very, very nice.

However, I just can't ignore the iPhone's smaller screen and iOS's walled ecosystem that just doesn't appeal to me anymore. Plus they still insist on having a physical mute button which is a real no-no for me.

I'm sticking with the GS4 and looking forward to the new Nexus phone. I'll reconsider iPhone in another 12 long months.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
Looking forward to having an iPhone again. The 5S seems like a nice upgrade even from the 5 and despite all the freedom and choice I have on my GS4, I'm just simply more of an iOS guy.

GS4 is nice. I like it but don't love it. I'm giving the 5S great consideration, but as of right now don't have any intention on dumping my GS4 yet.

Though overall I prefer iOS, I like Swype, dual screen mode, and the big display of the GS4 quite a lot.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
I'll be keeping my S4. Nothing exciting about the 5S for me. The note 3 interests me more. Maybe I'll go back to iOS when the iPhone 6 comes out.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I actually think the 5C and 5S are great phones for folks who haven't had every other revision of the iPhone.

As someone who has they were exactly as I expected them to be. Not disappointing as much as underwhelming. The A7 chip looks great though so I'll likely still pick up an iPad mini with retina for that.

Phone wise however I have to say I'm likely to get the Note 3. This year it offers me more of what I want.

The pen features this year actually look really good and smart covers and wireless charging bolster that.

Next year with a 5 inch iPhone - come back to me then.

----------

GS4 is nice. I like it but don't love it. I'm giving the 5S great consideration, but as of right now don't have any intention on dumping my GS4 yet.

Though overall I prefer iOS, I like Swype, dual screen mode, and the big display of the GS4 quite a lot.

Yeah I feel the same way about the S4. I like it but I definitely do not love it. Its like a member of the family I tolerate because they are good at some things and are handy to have round, but wouldn't be too upset if they emigrated and I never saw them again.... ;)

jeffe

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2008
I'm using a GS4 right now and am waiting to see what the next Nexus is like.

I like the GS4 but I think you need to definitely know what you're doing to set it up right for yourself in order to have the best possible experience.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.