Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sparky's

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 11, 2004
I gues the "Mr. Wendy's" (unofficially) commercials were just the beginning.

— Wendy's has started testing the low-carb market by offering "bunless" sandwiches at 248 of the fast-food chain's restaurants in six U.S. cities.

"We're actively exploring new, creative ways to highlight the many options our menu provides," Tom Mueller, president and chief operating officer of Wendy's North America, said Monday.

http://abcnews.go.com/wire/Living/ap20040427_1274.html

Awimoway

macrumors 68000
Sep 13, 2002
California
gwuMACaddict said:
i hate hearing 'low-carb' ALMOST as much as i hate hearing 'iPod killer'

I hate seeing "low carb" foods. A fat, greasy burger dripping with melted cheese wrapped in lettuce? In lettuce? The very thought makes my gorge rise. And Carl's Jr. just rolled out it's low carb breakfast: a bowl full of fatty goop (eggs, meat, and cheese) thrown haphazardly together.

This **** is beyond disgusting. Maybe there is some merit to the low carb diet, but I don't think it entitles you to eat as much repellant grease as the fast food restaurants would have you believe is okay.

And I say this as someone who has some pounds to lose himself. If I'm going to eat fatty and disgusting, I'm going to eat well. I'll keep the carbs, thank you very much. But if I'm going to deprive myself of everything that tastes good in the name of health, I'm not going to kid myself that a bacon double cheeseburger, hold the bread, is going to take the pounds off. :rolleyes:

powerbook4me

macrumors member
Apr 20, 2004
Awimoway said:
I hate seeing "low carb" foods. A fat, greasy burger dripping with melted cheese wrapped in lettuce? In lettuce? The very thought makes my gorge rise.
This **** is beyond disgusting.

Their burgers are real good. Stop complaining, :p

Fat greesy burger = tastey

With a Frosty on the side....oh hell yea :D

Awimoway

macrumors 68000
Sep 13, 2002
California
powerbook4me said:
Their burgers are real good. Stop complaining, :p

Fat greesy burger = tastey

With a Frosty on the side....oh hell yea :D

Oh don't get me wrong. I love fat greasy burgers. I know they're killing me, but I don't want to live forever anyway. But to take the bread away is just repellant, in my opinion. If--if I ever make a serious effort to lose the extra cargo, it will not be by stooping to eat lettuce-wrapped fat, not only because it's disgusting but because I'm sure it doesn't actually qualify as a diet food in any serious diet.

My complaint is twofold: the lie that this is diet food, and the further deterioration of fast food in America—where would the grand slam be without the biscuits and hashbrowns? Where would the burger combo be without the bun and fries? Fast food maybe isn't haute cuisine, but it does require a certain harmony of carbs, protein, and fat that faux versions of the Atkins diet shamelessly desecrate.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Low carb does not equal low fat.....

who would have thought we'd have a trend like this to associate the first decade of the 21st century with. 30 years from now we'll look back and shake our heads.....

D

MongoTheGeek

macrumors 68040
Mr. Anderson said:

who would have thought we'd have a trend like this to associate the first decade of the 21st century with. 30 years from now we'll look back and shake our heads.....

D

Satirists. I seem to remember seeing things like this as a joke, before the whole Atkins(TM) thing became fashionable.

Giaguara

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2002
Awimoway said:
I hate seeing "low carb" foods. A fat, greasy burger dripping with melted cheese wrapped in lettuce? In lettuce? The very thought makes my gorge rise. And Carl's Jr. just rolled out it's low carb breakfast: a bowl full of fatty goop (eggs, meat, and cheese) thrown haphazardly together.

"Low carb" means normally plain "high fat".

Low carb Ben & Jerry's? 20 grams of fat in one small cup!! So low carb is often as far as it can be from low cal.

I rather have high sugar and no fat rather than low carb and high fat.

Awimoway

macrumors 68000
Sep 13, 2002
California
Giaguara said:
"Low carb" means normally plain "high fat".

Low carb Ben & Jerry's? 20 grams of fat in one small cup!! So low carb is often as far as it can be from low cal.

I rather have high sugar and no fat rather than low carb and high fat.

Low carb & high fat is not a legitimate way to lose weight. Even if it can effect weight loss (and I'm not convinced it can), it will hinder your body's overall health in so many other ways that it's still not wise.

colawars

macrumors newbie
May 18, 2004
Low Carb Does Work

Not convinced it works? I have been on it for 10 months as of May 11th and have lost 150 pounds. I have not had any sugar snacks or regular soda at all.
It works because since I don't eat enough carbs for my body to burn it has to burn my fat instead. I didn't do this to lose weight but to get my blood pressure and blood sugar in check. The weight started to come off and that kept me motivated to stick to it.

:)

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Thomas Veil said:
Whether or not it works, why not lower the fat content instead of the carbs? It's the fat that's bad for us, mainly.

Actually, a balance of carbs, fat, and proteins in smaller portions would help more than that. When people work hard physically, it's not so bad, but most of us sit way too much.

It's nice to see that whoever put the article together couldn't find the Wendy's website, so they put the McDonald's website in there instead. :D

colawars:

Congratulations! That's a great accomplishment. :)

Powerbook G5

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
St Augustine, FL
It's insane how Atkins crazy everyone is lately. People just need to stop being lazy and do more to stay fit rather than trying to rely on some miracle fad diet to lose weight.

studebakerhwk13

macrumors newbie
Dec 2, 2003
Tulsa, OK
powerbook4me said:
Dang! Not one Texas city, hehe

I'm sure you're not taking that too personally. Us Tulsans are used to being subjected to every test menu and product you can imagine. Something about Tulsa being the best (???) cross section of demography in the country. That can translate as incredibly boring.

So now we are being subjected to every low-carb scam you can imagine. I am a true believer in balanced portions. Scotch in the winter, gin in the summer and whiskey whenever the guys in the shop up the street walk in and say "It's 5 o'clock somewhere."

bwawn

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2002
Mr. Anderson said:

Not to sound rude, but most nutritionists today would read your first sentence ("Low carb does not equal low fat") and shake their heads. The "low fat" diet fad is actually pretty closely linked with the start of America's obesity problems, and is complete crap.

Satured fats and some polyunsaturated fats are the kind most often associated with the phrase "bad fats." You do need to get some of these fats in your diets -- in small amounts, it's good for you and even necessary. However, to think a "low fat" diet is the way to lose weight is very flawed and frowned-upon thinking from the 1980s.

I put on fat rather easily (but I'm around 10% bodyfat these days due to good nutrition), and I have lost about two pounds of fat (and just fat, no muscle loss) per week for the past four weeks while eating 3000 calories a day at 40% carbs, 35% protein, and 25% fat. If you're curious how I did it, look up "glycemic index" on Google.

Awimoway

macrumors 68000
Sep 13, 2002
California
bwawn said:
Not to sound rude, but most nutritionists today would read your first sentence ("Low carb does not equal low fat") and shake their heads. The "low fat" diet fad is actually pretty closely linked with the start of America's obesity problems, and is complete crap.

Satured fats and some polyunsaturated fats are the kind most often associated with the phrase "bad fats." You do need to get some of these fats in your diets -- in small amounts, it's good for you and even necessary. However, to think a "low fat" diet is the way to lose weight is very flawed and frowned-upon thinking from the 1980s.

I put on fat rather easily (but I'm around 10% bodyfat these days due to good nutrition), and I have lost about two pounds of fat (and just fat, no muscle loss) per week for the past four weeks while eating 3000 calories a day at 40% carbs, 35% protein, and 25% fat. If you're curious how I did it, look up "glycemic index" on Google.

I don't fully agree. A low fat, high carb diet is warranted for people with high LDL ("bad" cholesterol) levels.

Ironically for me (since I knocked the low carb diet earlier in this thread), I have just learned that my low HDL ("good" cholesterol), high triglyceride profile make a very likely candidate for genetically predisposed adult-onset diabetes, if I don't have it already. For me a low carb, low glycemic index diet is warranted. But that doesn't mean I can take it easy on the fat, and that doesn't mean it's for everyone.

bwawn

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2002
Awimoway said:
I don't fully agree. A low fat, high carb diet is warranted for people with high LDL ("bad" cholesterol) levels.

Ironically for me (since I knocked the low carb diet earlier in this thread), I have just learned that my low HDL ("good" cholesterol), high triglyceride profile make a very likely candidate for genetically predisposed adult-onset diabetes, if I don't have it already. For me a low carb, low glycemic index diet is warranted. But that doesn't mean I can take it easy on the fat, and that doesn't mean it's for everyone.

Well, theoretically, my diet is "low fat" -- only 25% of my calories come from fat, far less than the calories I'm getting from carbs and protein. However, since I'm eating 3000 calories a day (which is under what my body would normally burn on its own) that's around 80g/fat every day -- not "low fat" in the traditional sense everyone else sees it. I was mostlly commenting on the outdated notion that "low fat" diets -- ie, similar to the "no carb" diets of today in that you should be eating as little fat as possible -- are crap and hurt our society's health issues far more than it helped. In fact, there are links to "low fat" diets and forms of diabetes because people substituted fats necessary for the maintenence of their health for high-GI carbs.

But, of course, there are people like you that are genetically pre-disposed to diabetes and need to eat lower carb diets -- but not NO carb. I generally make it an effort to avoid high-GI foods these days anyway even though I am a very healthy weight and have no pertinent health issues. I try to get the majority of my carbs from fruits and vegetables, and all the rest usually come from wheat and whole oats. These days I'm eating about 280g carbs per day, losing fat, and just about all those carbs come in the form of oatmeal, fruits like apples, bananas, pears, etc, vegetables, legumes, and the occasional whole wheat tortilla wrap. All very low-GI but also very healthy.

This post turned into somewhat of a rant, but I'm like just about all the rest of you on here -- I despise this Atkin's craze. I see people lose weight, and it's nice, but the crap your body has to go through in order to lose weight through Atkin's is unbelievable. And the old "low fat" diet craze -- similar to today's Atkin's stuff but with low-to-no fat instead of carbs -- was just as bad!

Roger1

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2002
Michigan
:D A few weeks back, a local well drilling company was selling low carb salt for your water softener. Sorry, not interested :rolleyes:

MongoTheGeek

macrumors 68040
Roger1 said:
:D A few weeks back, a local well drilling company was selling low carb salt for your water softener. Sorry, not interested :rolleyes:

I am waiting for low carb gasoline. Imagine if you will

Scientists have known for years that too many carbohydrates are bad for your health but did you know that carbohydrates are bad for your car. In fact there was research done during WWII about poisoning motor vehicles through the use of specially refined carbohydrates. Shell now proudly announces the arrival or Low Carb High Octane gasoline. Doesn't your car deserve the best.

johnnyjibbs

macrumors 68030
Sep 18, 2003
London, UK
That's what made me chuckle on my recent holiday in the States. Over here in the UK, we are concerned by fat and so food labels put "Low Fat" all over the place - 2% fat, 3% fat, LESS THAN 5% FAT!

In the USA, everything is "LOW CARBS!" - we tried to get some cooking sources for our camping dinners. They may have only had 5g total carbohydrate in them but when you glance at the fat content... horrendous! Something's gone horribly wrong somewhere!

And I thought a healthy balanced diet was supposed to contain high carbohydrate??!!!

MongoTheGeek

macrumors 68040
johnnyjibbs said:
That's what made me chuckle on my recent holiday in the States. Over here in the UK, we are concerned by fat and so food labels put "Low Fat" all over the place - 2% fat, 3% fat, LESS THAN 5% FAT!

In the USA, everything is "LOW CARBS!" - we tried to get some cooking sources for our camping dinners. They may have only had 5g total carbohydrate in them but when you glance at the fat content... horrendous! Something's gone horribly wrong somewhere!

And I thought a healthy balanced diet was supposed to contain high carbohydrate??!!!

That was the story 5 years ago. Wait another 10 or so and it will be again :)

colawars

macrumors newbie
May 18, 2004
Got my blood work back.....

Total Cholesterol 182
HDL 58
LDL 117
Triglycerides 34

Doc says all my numbers are outstanding.
I hate to think what these were when I started Atkin's! :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.