Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacManiac1224

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 21, 2001
NY
What about a new iPod? I think it is time that a new iPod is introduced. Many other mp3 players have come up to par and even exceeded the iPod and even have mroe feautres then the iPod. I think it is time for Apple to release a new iPod that competes with today's mp3 players. Also, I think some sort of color based iPod, at the high end of course. Also, a new pricing structure.
5G - $199
10G - $299
20G - $399
20G color - $499

What do you guys think?

Macpoops

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2002
PA
I for one don't see the need for a color ipod. Ok yeah ,you could look at pictures and maybe watch movies. But really why would you want to watch a movie on a 2inch screen and the only pictures that would come in handy would be buddy icons and the like. So i think the ipod b & w screen is perfectly fine

will

macrumors regular
Aug 29, 2002
I don't see a colour iPod in the near future, how much do you actually look at your iPod screen? I for one generally have it in my pocket :) I suspect that Apple will lower prices and drop the old 5GB model. The iPod is great as it is, Apple need to concentrate on other areas.

8trackmac

macrumors newbie
Nov 26, 2002
Bellingham, WA
color screen

i've seen a lot of speculation about color screen on a new ipod and a lot of prudent denial that this is worthwhile. one benefit i haven't seen anyone mention is the VISUALS. would a graphics processor be small enough to fit in there to perform itunes level visuals?

merge

macrumors member
Dec 17, 2002
Originally posted by Macpoops
\ why would you want to watch a movie on a 2inch screen

why not??
I think it would be because of the cool factor...
It would be a fun toy to show off...

richard5mith

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2002
Why would I want visuals on something in my pocket? It has no use at all. Much like the visuals in iTunes at the moment, why would anybody want to run them for any length of time.

At least being able to play videos would be handy for people who travel on the bus, train etc. Even a 2" screen is pretty good for watching the morning news (your Mac could record it and sync it onto your pod before you left for work) or your favourite sitcom from the previous night.

8trackmac

macrumors newbie
Nov 26, 2002
Bellingham, WA
of course, rick5, you are right. it would be ridiculous to play the visuals on a hand held... but isn't that what all this high tech shmack is about?

KLFloyd

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2002
Gainesville, FL
Originally posted by merge

why not??
I think it would be because of the cool factor...
It would be a fun toy to show off...

Yeah but how much is the cool factor worth? I for one would not want to spend an extra $100 on a feature like this.

Onthe other hand...here's a few more ideas to throw out:

1) FM Radio receiver?
2) Ethernet Port--perhaps a limited mail function?
3) Bluetooth/Airport support?
4) a mini external speaker--perhaps for alerts or alarms?

On the other hand...let's remember that Apple did just start marketing the iPod through other companis, I think BestBuy, Target, and Gateway have all started selling the iPod with more to come. If Apple were to significantley change or upgrade their iPod line so soon this might upset their retail partners by droping the value of their current stock of the old ipods. Then again, I guess this is an issue with every electronics carrier so perhaps it's not that big a deal after all.

Only 8 more days to go...I for one will be rushing to make it home by noon to watch the keynote live and have my credit card handy. If apple upgrades iPods I will be making a purchase. Wheather it's an old iPod dicsounted or a new one is still yet to be seen....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.