Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

VoodooDaddy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 14, 2003
I get up to go to work today, get on to check my email and the weather and stuff and my browser (camino) freezes up. It beachballs for a cpl minute and while it was doing that I was right clicking on the dock icon trying to bring up the menu so I could force quit.

Finally that comes up and I quit out of it thinking that my memory (512mb) was just used up and it had locked it up. I go to check sys monitor and the icon bounces for a few and out of nowhere the front row screen comes up.

I can't exit out of that at all. So after a cpl of minutes I just power the system down. Maybe I shouldn't have done that (??) because now it won't power on.

I really couldn't do anything else at the moment because I had to leave for work. So needless to say I'm kind of tripping out because my computer might be dead.

I'm fairly new to mac so what all might I try? Also IF its dead, say like a logic board or power supply or something, how do I go about getting it repaired/replaced? I bought it from a Fryes store but it is still covered for 1yr from apple right? And if its dead and is replaced would they make any effort to let me get my files off the hard drive? Thankfully just a few weeks ago I started doing a weekly system backup. But there are some new things that I know aren't backed up.

I'm hoping once I get home it will just miraculously fire right up but I've got a bad feeling it wont. This would be the first serious hardware failure I've ever had with any computer.

frome

macrumors member
May 20, 2005
Queensland, Australia
It should still be under insurance. You should bring it to your closest Apple store and see what they say. They will most likely try to rescue your data off the Hard Drive. It could be the battery (the tiny inside your mac mini used to boot it up) or could possibly be the logic board.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.