Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macgeek2005

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 31, 2006
So, how on earth do I connect to a computer that isn't plugged into the same hub as another computer?

We're trying to connect 2 computers in 2 different locations, that are both online. I go "Connect to server" and write in the IP address of the computer i'm trying to connect to, and it doesn't connect. It will only connect to computers that are in the same local network.

We have file sharing and everything turned on in the target computer.

disconap

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2005
Portland, OR
I think you need filesharing and Appletalk open on both machines. I've never done that, but that's a stumbling block on inter-office networks, I know.

Try turning everything on in the network panels on both machines, and if it works start turning off the things you don't need until it won't connect anymore, turn the last thing you turned off back on, and continue until you have only what is needed on. Or wait for someone who knows more about networking to post. ;)

EDIT: You may also need to set one up as the host, you can check Apple documents for info on that...

baummer

macrumors 65816
Jan 18, 2005
Southern California
macgeek2005 said:

Static: this means the IP for the computer does not change. Meaning, the computer is assigned IP 192.168.0.0 by the ISP. This never changes.

Dynamic: this means the IP for the computer changes constantly. IPs are assigned on a lease period that is set for a fixed amout of time. For example, your ISP assigns your computer IP 192.168.0.1 for a period of 12 hours. After 12 hours, your ISP assigns you a different IP.

Now, in your situation, you have to verify two things:

1. Can the computer be ACCESSED by the internet? Just because it is on and can navigate web sites, etc. doesn't mean you can connect or even see the computer.

2. Is web/file sharing enabled on the machines?

Sounds like you need to do the following:

1. Configure the machines for web/file/whatever sharing

2. Connect the machines to some sort of router, and then forward web/ftp/whatever traffic to the computer's local IP. For example, your main internet source from your ISP (e.g. cable, dsl, ethernet cable) will be connected to the router's WAN port. You will then connect the computer to the router with a standard RJ45 cable. The router will assign each connected computer a local IP, in this case assigning it 108.10.2.3. The WAN port is using IP 192.168.0.1. So, say you wanted to forward SSH traffic to the machine. You'd have the router forward port 22 to 108.10.2.3.

3. Next, employ the services of DynamicDNS. Go to a site like http://www.no-ip.com and sign up for their free service. The service allows you to choose a generic hostname (e.g. coolcomputer1.dns.com) that binds to your systems internet IP. You will install a program they have to the computers you want to connect to. The program will automatically update the IP so you'll never have to remember the internet IP.

4. Test the connections by using your hostname and ensuring the steps above are followed.

Let me know if I can clarify anything here. Now, it is important to note that if your computers are connected dynamically, this will work fine. If they are static, you can skip step #3.

Timepass

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2005
I thinking your problem is going to be in the router setting them selves.
Each router gives each it own IP.

For example the computer I am on see it IP address as 192.168.1.101. that is what the router gave it. my ISP gave my router the IP address of like 69.something

not really imporant. The hard part comes in setting up multiple routers because you have to tell router 2 what the static IP of router 1 is going to be and what to forward to router 1 and all that. Plus how the ip are all going to work.

You can not call tech support for help sadly because their offial answer is we dont provide phone tech support for networking (cannt say I blame them networking is hit or miss any ways. Even with the same settings it not always going to work).

Easies way to do is set the computer as the DMZ host and that just forward everything to one computer. Lazy mans way. saves you the trouble of doing port forwarding which also works and is the correct way to do it.

either way it giong to be in a lot of very advance setting the router so good luck with it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.