Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrMojo1

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2010
New England
13 Pro Max...
I do not use:
1. Face ID
2. Siri (Except for Homepod Mini use)
3. iOS 17.x (using iOS 16.x)
4. Apple Pay
5. Animoji - do adults use this?
6. Facetime
7. AOD turned off [not on 13PM]
8. 5G/Location Services (Use when traveling or as needed; 5G is not consistent/available in my area)
9. Wireless charging/Magsafe

Last edited:

OneBar

Suspended
Dec 2, 2022
Standby mode on the 11PM is silly. I'd use it on a newer phone but not there yet.
No to Journal
No to mail and most other stock apps
No to focus things, too complicated to set up and make no sense

Things that I use that I never thought I would:
Siri. Super handy for sending messages while going down the road
Wallet. Didn't until my oldest needed to purchase something while on a class trip and the store didn't take cash. Added my debit to her wallet, problem solved. Now she has her card on her wallet, JIC.
App Library. I'm almost to the point of just deleting everything from the home screen and just using the Library for app perusing. Just designate the home screens to widgets.

Reactions: LoveToMacRumors

mectojic

macrumors 65816
Dec 27, 2020
Sydney, Australia
iPhone 15:
– No iMessage (I think it over-complicates SMS, and is invasive)
– No FaceID, no passcode
– No iCloud
– No Notes
– No Siri
– No Music
– No Podcasts
– No Reminders
– No Calendar (use a Pages doc instead)
– No Health
– No ApplePay / Wallet
– No Do not Disturb
– No Apple Maps
– No Spotlight search (ever)

goodthymes

macrumors member
Oct 11, 2022
Facetime
FaceID
Siri
ApplePay
Health
Music
Homekit
iOS/PadOS17 (more and more features I do not use that only slow down my devices)
*this is on 5 idevices: iPhones 12/13s, iPadpros 12.9/10.5

Dble07

macrumors member
Dec 12, 2022
I have an iPhone 13 and was excited to try Standby. It honestly is a worthless feature and I no longer use it...I have to rattle my nightstand or tap the display to activate it.

I don't understand why they can't leave Standby on...I can only guess it would make the device hot? No idea but the current implementation is very subpar.
It’s more geared towards those with an always on display.

Dble07

macrumors member
Dec 12, 2022
I have an iPhone 13 and was excited to try Standby. It honestly is a worthless feature and I no longer use it...I have to rattle my nightstand or tap the display to activate it.

I don't understand why they can't leave Standby on...I can only guess it would make the device hot? No idea but the current implementation is very subpar.
It’s more geared towards those with an always on display.

krspkbl

macrumors 68020
Jul 20, 2012
memoji/animoji - stupid childish crap
aod/standby - never liked AOD's
wireless charging - i'm perfectly happy with USB C
facetime - if i need to talk to someone and can't see them in person then a call/message is enough
shortcuts - i did use it before but not anymore. only used it to notify me when charged to 80%. now it's baked in
live photos - so annoying
airdrop - used once or twice in all my time owning an iphone
homekit - never used it and probably never will
focus modes - tried it but too confusing
home screen widgets - my widgets go in the "drawer" when you swift left on the home screen
books app - i have a kindle which is better than reading on an iPhone
apple music - it's good but i have spotify
garageband - it's rubbish
imovie - i have a PC for video editing
clips - don't know what it is
freeform - might use it if i had an ipad
journal - i don't need a diary

there is probably more but i can't think.

Mr_Ed

macrumors 6502a
Mar 10, 2004
North and east of Mickeyland
11 Pro Max

Anything emoji except for occasional smiley or heart to my wife
Animoji (or whatever those annoying things are called)
Facetime
Apple Music
Screen Widgets - I set up a few a while back, haven’t looked at them since.
Homekit
Shortcuts - made one recently since Siri can’t handle connecting to VPN otherwise, but that is all
Podcasts
Apple Maps - rarely used and when I do, i get annoyed and remember to use something else.
Arcade (I love gaming, but not on mobile devices)
AppleTV+ (Or whatever that streaming app is called)

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
You do know that you can download offline maps on Apple Maps, right?

I don’t use Apple Maps as it used to be awful many years ago, so tend to use Waze and Google maps in the car. I’m sure it’s improved, but the ship sails and we often use things that we are used to. I remember the interface was nice on Apple Maps though.

Another feature I missed off my original post was ‘MagSafe’. I use it for a phone holder in my car but will never use it for charging as I don’t like how hot phones get from it, plus I have no use for fast charging anyway. Apple were cheeky on launch with the iPhone 12 when they thought £60 for a MagSafe charger was appealing lol. Nah, i’ll follow the environmental message and use an older charger instead.

ChoiMinji

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2021
Yes google maps is better. Though it is worthless out of cellular range, where Apple Maps picks up the slack is the ability to download the maps for offline use. I have the entire country of Thailand and 3 US states just in case because I can’t predict when I may need a map if no internet is available.

Böhme417

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2009
Yes google maps is better. Though it is worthless out of cellular range, where Apple Maps picks up the slack is the ability to download the maps for offline use. I have the entire country of Thailand and 3 US states just in case because I can’t predict when I may need a map if no internet is available.
There are offline maps in Google Maps—longer than they have been in Apple Maps.

Cobold

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2014
Dieburg, Germany
13 Pro Max...
I do not use:
1. Face ID (disabled)
2. Siri (Except for Homepod Mini use)
3. iOS 17.x (still using iOS 16.x)
4. Apple Pay
5. Animoji
6. Facetime
7. AOD turned off
8. 5G/Location Services (Used when traveling or as needed; 5G is not consistent/available in my area)
9. Wireless charging/Magsafe

What exactly did you turn off here as your device does not support AOD…? 🤣🤪

Reactions: Böhme417

TechnoMonk

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2022
Currently on iPhone 13 Pro

I do not use Face ID (disabled)
I do not use Siri (disabled)
I do not use iOS 17 (stayed with iOS 15)
I do not use iMessage
FaceID is probably one of the biggest changes from initial iPhone launch. Use it all the time, and it would be super PITA if I disabled it. I use iMessage/messages app for other Android users. What’s App is basically a spam, so is telegram.

mectojic

macrumors 65816
Dec 27, 2020
Sydney, Australia
memoji/animoji - stupid childish crap
aod/standby - never liked AOD's
wireless charging - i'm perfectly happy with USB C
facetime - if i need to talk to someone and can't see them in person then a call/message is enough
shortcuts - i did use it before but not anymore. only used it to notify me when charged to 80%. now it's baked in
live photos - so annoying
airdrop - used once or twice in all my time owning an iphone
homekit - never used it and probably never will
focus modes - tried it but too confusing
home screen widgets - my widgets go in the "drawer" when you swift left on the home screen
books app - i have a kindle which is better than reading on an iPhone
apple music - it's good but i have spotify
garageband - it's rubbish
imovie - i have a PC for video editing
clips - don't know what it is
freeform - might use it if i had an ipad
journal - i don't need a diary

there is probably more but i can't think.
Agree on all these, 100%. I do use airdrop but otherwise all those apps add zero value. Things like live photos frustrate me to no end.

taliz

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2006
On an XR.
Mail, Maps, Music, Facetime(only audio), Health and probably a bunch more I forgot.

ChoiMinji

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2021
There are offline maps in Google Maps—longer than they have been in Apple Maps.
Yes but the google maps expire after 15 days and need to be downloaded again or manually updated before the 15 day expiry. Apple Maps presets, download and forget.

akidokraja

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2013
I wish Apple would allow more control in low battery mode and down locking processor. I have no use for speed faster than maybe iPhone 7. Also, it would help with battery and most importantly heat. In the summer in Florida it is impossible to record a video longer than 5-10 minutes before it gets extremely hot. Even browsing web gets it hot and display starts to reduce brightness. It is ridiculous.

scorpio vega

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2023
Raleigh, NC
11 and 15 Pro Max
  1. No Memoji
  2. No Siri (well mostly. I hate all the assistants from any OS but i do ask Siri to sometimes play a song if I am in the shower lol)
  3. Facetime
  4. Homekit
  5. Shortcuts (but only because idk how really lol)
  6. App clips
  7. Podcasts
  8. Books

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.