Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pachyderm

macrumors G3
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
robbie-williams-pa.jpg

various tunes by the man himself...

wvuwhat

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2007
I'm an Amazon Prime Member and I buy a lot from them. I've chosen to take the slower "regular" shipping option for about 30 orders so far this holiday season. With that "regular" shipping option, every order comes with 1 dollar of MP3 credit.

So, I've bought a lot of new music recently. Most of what I've been buying/listening to are Bob Dylan's lesser known albums/bootlegs.

But, at the moment, I'm listening to Davisson Brothers Band "Here Come the Mountaineers."

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
A few from XTC, a very good (and articulate) British group, probably best known for some of their work in the very late 70s, to the mid 80s......"Generals and Majors", "Senses Working Overtime", the classic "Making Plans for Nigel", and the thoughtful, intelligent, if somewhat dreamy and rather subversive, "Dear God".

pachyderm

macrumors G3
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
A few from XTC, a very good (and articulate) British group, probably best known for some of their work in the very late 70s, to the mid 80s......"Generals and Majors", "Senses Working Overtime", the classic "Making Plans for Nigel", and the thoughtful, intelligent, if somewhat dreamy and rather subversive, "Dear God".

love them. absolutely love them.

ipodtouchy333

macrumors 65816
Nov 15, 2007
US
Cheers!

Nice remix :D

Haha, don't know if it compared to your flux remix but I tried :)

Anyways, nice to find someone who really has taste in some good house and techno. Not very popular where I'm from but been listening to a lot of diplo's new stuff and disclosure's as well. Their new tracks and eps are must listens if you haven't already of course ;)

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
love them. absolutely love them.

YouTube: video

I love Squeeze. Pulling Mussels From A shell is one of my favorite tunes :)

Hey, seriously delighted you guys love the sort of stuff I love......

And now.....

A few more: First up, (yes, yet more 80s), a little bit of Madness: 'Embarrassment', 'Night Boat To Cairo' (the first time I had heard of Madness was this song, which had me utterly enthralled), 'Shut Up', 'Our House'.........

and, to add a little bit of variety (at the risk of dipping a toe into the 90s), I also greeted Lou Reed and his sublime "Perfect Day".

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Today, at Christmas Mass, I heard an exquisite version of the 'Sanctus' by Karl Jenkins. Beautiful.

The wonderful, witty, (tolerant) and urbane Henri of Navarre (Henri IV of France) - undoubtedly one of the most attractive monarchs France ever had, is supposed to have said "Paris is worth a Mass" as he abjured his Huguenot faith and converted to Catholicism in order to be able to take the throne after a vicious civil war. Well, I think Christmas is worth a Mass, too.

Apart from the sublime Sanctus, the excellent choir sang traditional songs ('Silent Night' and 'O Holy Night' among them) and also sang from the symphonic Mass composed by the late great Irish composer, Seán Ó'Ríada. Just beautiful, and perfectly matching the ideals of the day that today commemorates.

Last edited:

pachyderm

macrumors G3
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
Today, at Christmas Mass, I heard an exquisite version of the 'Sanctus' by Karl Jenkins. Beautiful.

The wonderful, witty, (tolerant) and urbane Henri of Navarre (Henri IV of France) - undoubtedly one of the most attractive monarchs France ever had, is supposed to have said "Paris is worth a Mass" as he abjured his Huguenot faith and converted to Catholicism in order to be able to take the throne after a vicious civil war. Well, I think Christmas is worth a Mass, too.

Apart from the sublime Sanctus, the excellent choir sang traditional songs ('Silent Night' and 'O Holy Night' among them) and also sang from the symphonic Mass composed by the late great Irish composer, Seán Ó'Ríada. Just beautiful, and perfectly matching the ideals of the day that today commemorates.

Sanctus' by Karl Jenkins - wow!

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Sanctus' by Karl Jenkins - wow!

YouTube: video

Yes. It was brilliant and seriously spine tingling - not what you would normally expect to hear during a church service. But wonderful. Thanks for posting that link, by the way.

When the Mass ended, the choir finished up with a rousing rendition of the 'Hallejuiah' chorus from Handel's Messiah; granted, musically, something of a bit of a cliché at Christmas, but, nevertheless, a very welcome one at that, especially as that particular piece was first performed in Dublin in 1742 and so has a connection with the country.

pachyderm

macrumors G3
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
Yes. It was brilliant and seriously spine tingling - not what you would normally expect to hear during a church service. But wonderful. Thanks for posting that link, by the way.

When the Mass ended, the choir finished up with a rousing rendition of the 'Hallejuiah' chorus from Handel's Messiah; granted, musically, something of a bit of a cliché at Christmas, but, nevertheless, a very welcome one at that, especially as that particular piece was first performed in Dublin in 1742 and so has a connection with the country.

always wanna here the 'Hallejuiah' at this time of the year... ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.