Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dogbone

macrumors 68020
Original poster
I like all Crumb's stuff of course and Gilbert Shelton has done some epicly draughted comics. Mary Fleener has a gorgeous simple style and Roberta Gregory impresses with her impressionistic renderings in Naughty bits. Not to mention Terry LaBan, and Lloyd Dangle and Terry Griffiths. Then there is Chris Ware's Acme Novelty library which is in a class of it's own. Forgot to mention Jim Woodring and David Lapham.

But my all time favourite for it's wonderfully deceptive use of light and shade coupled with terrific draughtmanship and simple lines goes to Doug Allen's Steven.

EDIT: There is already an anime comics thread and also a comics you like thread, this is a thread for *well drawn* favourite comics. (sorry to be a thread nazi)

Mary Fleener (warning adult content)
Doug Allen
Jim Woodring

sk3pt1c

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2005
a simulacrum
right,
machall.com
tin.snafu-comics.com (tin,the incompetent ninja)
and even though it's in b&w,it rocks, the adventures of dr mcninja
drmcninja.com

mfacey

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2004
Netherlands
Dilbert is the most brilliant comic as far as I'm concerned. Probably not the most brilliantly drawn, although I couldn't reproduce drawings like that. :rolleyes:

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
Gary Larson

wiener-cave.gif

Lyle

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2003
Madison, Alabama
Is "well drawn" code for some particular type of comic?

Assuming you just mean "well drawn" in my personal opinion, I'm a fan of pretty much any book that Neal Adams ever drew. I was (am) also a big fan of Berni Wrightson, Frank Miller, Marshall Rogers, John Byrne and Walt Simonson.

P.S. I am perhaps showing my age. I stopped collecting comics around age 16, which was about twenty years ago, so I'm not up on some of the more recent artists!

Jon'sLightBulbs

macrumors 6502a
Jan 31, 2005
Chicago
Todd McFarlane rocked when he drew Spiderman some years ago. The Spiderman X-Force crossover artwork was amazing. Actually, any Spiderman up to #16. (Closet comic book dweeb here.)

nbs2

macrumors 68030
Mar 31, 2004
A geographical oddity
Like others, I don't know what "well drawn" means, I think my favorite current comics are Pearls before Swine, Opus and Non Sequiter. But, maybe I just don't understand well drawn. Far Side and C&H while they were around...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.