Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

electroshock

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2009
Mine was more like

10 PRINT "I CAN BEEP!"
20 PRINT CHR$(7)
30 GOTO 10

To which my computer teacher came over, looked at the running program, and said, "Yes, you certainly can. Now turn it off." :D

You could port an Apple II emulator to the iPhone just so you could fire up BASIC then run that program again for old times' sake. +1 style point if you bring that iPhone and program to show to your old teacher during a visit. :D

wildcardd

macrumors 6502a
Mar 26, 2007
Denver, CO
Wow good times. You all listed a bunch of the old games I used to play...does anyone remember the Ghostbusters game on the Apple IIe? I spent a lot of time on that one along with Load Runner.
Lemonade stand
Raster Blaster
Pinball Construction Kit
Mule

Then came my 286 and the floodgates opened for gaming. I devoured titles from Microprose, Sierra, Origin, and LucasGames.

I miss PC software stores (Software Etc, Electronics Boutique- pre EB Games, Egghead software) that was where a nerd could be a nerd. :cool:

wildcardd

macrumors 6502a
Mar 26, 2007
Denver, CO
I almost forgot!!!

Probably one of the games I played more than ANY OTHER was a LucasArts game called 'Their Finest Hour: the Battle of Britain' and then it was 'Secret Weapons of the Luftwaffe'

The manual itself was one of the best written manuals ever! And you could fly dozens of aircraft!

It's one of those games that should be on the top 10 of all time.

Fun fact, those were both done by Larry Holland who went on to do X-Wing, and Tie Fighter. Two of the best games of all time.

Tesseract

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2008
Cosmic Osmo. Anybody else remember that old hypercard game?
After that, the most memorable was definitely Bungie's Marathon series.

Rampant.A.I.

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2009
Reading the comparisons, I was a late comer to computer gaming. I loved Chuck Yeagar's Air Combat and Dogfight City multiplayer! I was impressed that while the PC players were thinking they were number one with Doom, we had M-A-R-A-T-H-O-N!! :)

I don't think anyone who didn't experience the game at the time will really ever appreciate how far ahead of Doom it really was.

Excellent storyline, challenging gameplay, smooth and stylized graphics--it really set a new standard, and in a lot of ways I really feel it's largely been forgotten while inferior games like Doom are remembered as gaming milestones.

wildcardd

macrumors 6502a
Mar 26, 2007
Denver, CO
I don't think anyone who didn't experience the game at the time will really ever appreciate how far ahead of Doom it really was.

Excellent storyline, challenging gameplay, smooth and stylized graphics--it really set a new standard, and in a lot of ways I really feel it's largely been forgotten while inferior games like Doom are remembered as gaming milestones.

While not diminishing Marathon, Doom did come out first and was on the PC which has a broader audience.

It was also distributed as shareware meaning much more people touched at least the first three episodes.

Marthon was a great leap forward at the time though.

roosta

macrumors regular
May 1, 2005
las vegas
lets see,

pathways into darkness is a classic- creepy and challenging

the marathon series - love to see that updated and brought out again

spaceward ho was fun

and the one and only, myst

roosta

macrumors regular
May 1, 2005
las vegas
Ah, great thread!

My first pc game was the original shareware Doom. I played that thing so long that the MIDI music bore into my brain.

Then there was Myst. Followed by:
Descent (the music on this just got me)
Mechwarrior II (with the Voodoo patch to run with 3D hardware acceleration)
Quake
Marathon
Marathon II
Dark Forces
Descent II
Carmageddon
Quake II
Undying (scariest game EVER)
Myth (the last great Mac-first Bungie game)
Myth II: Soulblighter)
Oni
Deus Ex (weith the Soundblaster LIVE patch)
American Mc Gee's Alice (sick)
Aliens vs. Predator
Civilization
Duke Nukem 3D (it really wasn't...more like 2.5D)
Shadow Warrior (so irreverent I loved it!)
Unreal (these graphics and levels were so immersive)
Unreal Tournament
Quake III Arena
Pod Racer

I know I'm missing some.

i completely forgot about dark forces. first game to have a restroom in it as i recall (one level had a restroom for the stormtroopers)

as for oni. i think bungie dropped the ball there while still producing a great game. at macworld in 99 (i think) bungie were showing the game at their booth as a multiplayer. sadly though they took out that code and made it single person only.

rigid

macrumors regular
Sep 28, 2008
Oregon Trail (obviously)
Doom and Marathon, then I think I logged 800 hours playing escape velocity on my friends mac.

farris

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2009
Dark Castle

DARK CASTLE!!! I loved it on the old Macintosh back in the mid 80's when i was a kid.
Lucas Arts Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade....
Two best games ever.

Rampant.A.I.

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2009
i completely forgot about dark forces. first game to have a restroom in it as i recall (one level had a restroom for the stormtroopers)

as for oni. i think bungie dropped the ball there while still producing a great game. at macworld in 99 (i think) bungie were showing the game at their booth as a multiplayer. sadly though they took out that code and made it single person only.

IMHO, it was Bungie's last effort at a great game. It seems like they just stopped caring after that.

I also remember them hyping the heck out of it, and when it finally arrived even the demo wasn't all that impressive. I never ended up actually playing it.

They can blame financial troubles all they like, but if you stop putting out games people want to buy, well...

dazey

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2005
Do BBC games count? Elite, donkey kong, pac man and so on. Remember Dark castle well on the mac and Spectre, lemmings and back to the days when mac games meant othello. Oh, remember prince of persia too, not as iconic as dark castle though.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
And its creators went on to produce Halo. Quite a good pedigree.

Although I've played through all 3 Halos more times than I care to admit, I really appreciated the Flood, especially in Halo 3. Most outstanding plus the flood music! Besides Half Life 2, the Halo series is pretty close to perfection in the solo/coop- adventure/shooter category.

MinorBidoh

macrumors 6502
Oct 6, 2005
uk
I remember Paperboy was the first and Civilisation (1) took many of my early gaming evenings. Since then, it's been all about COD2 and 4.

Guiyon

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2008
Cambridge, MA
Dark Castle, The Uninvited and Deja Vu all bring back memories (want to play a different game? Reboot onto a different disk!). One of my fondest memories, though, is playing LAN games of Marathon with my brother and a few of my friends over using a 10Base-2 network. That game was HUGE at the time; the 10MB install took up a good chunk of my HD space.

admo

macrumors member
Aug 24, 2009
My first Mac was a Centris610. My first Mac game was Pathways into Darkness. I almost beat that, but never did. I believe the final battles were just large kill rooms full of the monsters you fight throughout the game. I can remember college buddies of mine literally leaning in their chairs as if that would help them see around corners.

Then I bought a CD drive to play Journeyman project. That game seemed much cooler when a camp counselor was playing it, but I was somewhat disappointed when I started playing.

Luckily I put that CD drive to good use when I bought Myst. Played through that several times!

Great times those all were!

Cerebrus' Maw

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2008
Brisbane, Australia
There's been a few. Lets see what I can dredge up from my seedy past...

Golden Axe
I think this was on a 386. Possibly a commodore. It was a side screen scrolling adventure game. You could use a Warrior, Dwarf or Amazon. Two people could also muliplay on the same keyboard. Very addictive, and had that trait of games from that era of being so damn hard end game. Great music

Wing Commander
Pretty sure this was on the 486. A great space flight sim game. Had the coolest mothership ever, the Concordia. Can't remember the name of the enemy, but they were basically walking Tigers.

Orion
I dont think I have ever replayed a game as much as Orion:Master of Planets. A turn based space strategy game, where you could pick different races, each with different traits. Whocan forget land based invasions, your troops lined up like dominos, and then exploding like little cap guns as they died. It was like civ with space ships. Which leads me neatly to...

Civilization(1&2)
Follows Orion as most replay value. I am a bit vague on 1, but 2 is crystal clear in my mind. Every strategy gamer here probably has an upbringing on some of the Civ franchise. I would even hazard a guess that many games of that era took entire pages out of the civ book. Flat 2D terrain, with little paper representation of units never looked so good. Flattening the entire world under your Roman boots never felt so good. We found out later that editing a config file aloud multiplay on the same computer, but made the game crash if you had an audience with each other.

Planets
The 386. A bit like Orion, but more expansion orientated, probably had more in relation to Sim city really. Had more micro managment. Its main attraction was that the traits of the races really were very different to each other. At the end of the turn, you had to load up the Command line, and compile each turn. Having three people clustered around the screen waiting for the line:
EVENT: Battle between [gary-green giants] and [Kevin - Plundering Virgins] was always exceptional.

Goldeneye
Ok, going on the consoles with the Nintendo 64 (a great gaming console, that was limited by just that.... consoles, making it lose the war to the PS1 with its CD media) GE was a terrific game, definitly the flagship of both Rare (who went on to release the acclaimed Perfect Dark) and the N64 itself. Had so many challanges to do, great 4-way muliplayer with great sub games (Pistols, License to Kill, Facility - Best ever) Each of the 21 levels had 3 difficulties. When these were complete, it unlocked a special setting, allowing you to set the health,speed and accuracy of the AI. Throw in time trials for cheats, and you had a great, great game.

Monkey Island
Anyone remember the rediculous page wheel you had have, so you could correctly identify the required symbol to launch the game. Barring that, a game with amazing mood and setting. And had terrific puzzles and storyline. With an absurd learning curve, this was a frustrating, yet strangly rewarding game.

Paperboy
Back in the days of the Amiga 500 (which was an awesome piece of kit for its day). This simple but adictive game, had you throwing out newspapers to fend off dogs, going up streets for side quests. Was one of those games that never ever finished.

Im sure im forgetting some, but I'll come back to this list if I think of them.

wildcardd

macrumors 6502a
Mar 26, 2007
Denver, CO
Apple II+ (just a few that I remember playing)

Lode Runner
Crisis Mountain
Minute Man
Taxman
Taxman 2
Wizardry Series
Odyssee the Complete Apventure
ABM
Apple Panic
Bug Attack
Castle Wolfenstien
Miner 2049er
Karateka
Sabatage
Snack Attack
Zaxxon

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Apple_II_games

Man I'm getting old.

Yeah me too.

Thanks for the link of old Apple II games.

Two more popped into my head:
Choplifter
Seaaaaaadragoooooon (I can still hear the name being said through my Apple II's speaker)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.