Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ThisBougieLife

Suspended
Jan 21, 2016
Northern California
Reading:

Catch-22 by Joseph Heller

Light in August by William Faulkner

Very different novels, but both excellent. First time reading Faulkner, and this seems to be one of this more accessible works and I'm enjoying it very much (though the Southern dialect takes some getting used to). Catch-22 is hilarious; people said it was funny, but I rarely laugh out loud from books; this one has caused me to do that more than once!

Reactions: Huntn and pachyderm

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Reading:

Very different novels, but both excellent. First time reading Faulkner, and this seems to be one of this more accessible works and I'm enjoying it very much (though the Southern dialect takes some getting used to). Catch-22 is hilarious; people said it was funny, but I rarely laugh out loud from books; this one has caused me to do that more than once!

Catch-22 is brilliant, very, very funny and wickedly sharp. A book that richly deserve its reputation as a classic.

Reactions: pachyderm

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Not me, well, I am "co-reading" the GF sourcecbook (if you're a GF fan it's pretty +amazing+.) :D

Scored these a week ago or so from an actual b&m (B&N) bookstore that my little G loves to visit. I love me some Amazon, but nothing beats the experience of going into a store and being surrounded by books (and games, vinyl, coffee), getting to see and touch it before buying it.

15094463_1248499855222697_6694441740680861292_n.jpg

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Not me, well, I am "co-reading" the GF sourcecbook (if you're a GF fan it's pretty +amazing+.) :D

Scored these a week ago or so from an actual b&m (B&N) bookstore that my little G loves to visit. I love me some Amazon, but nothing beats the experience of going into a store and being surrounded by books (and games, vinyl, coffee), getting to see and touch it before buying it.

View attachment 673635

Agreed, and I love book stores for this exact reason.

Reactions: yaxomoxay

pachyderm

macrumors G3
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
Reading:

Catch 22 is one of my all time faves.

ardchoille50

macrumors 68020
Feb 6, 2014
Starship Scorpion (The Galactic Wars Book 1), by Tripp Ellis. It's an excellent book and my Kindle Paperwhite is getting a workout.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Mission of Honor (2010)- Finished David Weber's 12th book in the Honorverse (Honor Harrington Universe), a conflict between the Star Kingdom of Manticore and the old Earth Solarian League. Part 1 of 2. This book feels like the culmination of everything that has come before, full of familiar characters that have been compiled from the beginning, the long story created by the series is amazing if you like the subject matter. This particular chapter includes explosive events, a dynamic story with intrigue, surprises, and millions of casualties (typical for the series ;))

If you've not read this series, it must be started at the beginning. The author has devoted much time to the fictional technology of hyper-space flight, weapons, and the conduct of space combat making it all sound believable, or at least possible! :)

MoH_6.jpg

On to A Rising Thunder!

Last edited:

yaxomoxay

macrumors 604
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
I finished Kennan's book, a rewarding voyage in the mind and events of an important US thinker. It's not everyday that you can read the firsthand account of the beginning of Stalin's purges, the Nazi takeover from Prague first and Berlin later.
A somewhat interesting curiosity is that Kennan was arrested while in the American embassy in Berlin by the nazi regime, together with his colleagues. They were held captive for about seven months, without receiving a single message by the US Department of State, or the American Government. Even the Germans were perplexed by the lack of communication. Then, finally, an official letter from the American government appeared: it was a message to let them know that since they were prisoners they were also not working, therefore they would not receive any salary for their time in prison.

Now I am moving to this book, I will begin it tonight or tomorrow depending on Amazon's delivery service:

51aXQpgs-wL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I finished Kennan's book, a rewarding voyage in the mind and events of an important US thinker. It's not everyday that you can read the firsthand account of the beginning of Stalin's purges, the Nazi takeover from Prague first and Berlin later.
A somewhat interesting curiosity is that Kennan was arrested while in the American embassy in Berlin by the nazi regime, together with his colleagues. They were held captive for about seven months, without receiving a single message by the US Department of State, or the American Government. Even the Germans were perplexed by the lack of communication. Then, finally, an official letter from the American government appeared: it was a message to let them know that since they were prisoners they were also not working, therefore they would not receive any salary for their time in prison.

Now I am moving to this book, I will begin it tonight or tomorrow depending on Amazon's delivery service:

51aXQpgs-wL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Remind me of when exactly George Kennan was arrested; the story concerning the salary amuses but doesn't surprise me.

As I recall, the US was neutral at the time and (apart from FDR) were very ambivalent - indeed, almost antagonistic - to the very idea of US involvement in any further European adventures at that time. Remember, they - the US - weren't even members of the League of Nations.

Moreover, the US ambassador in London at that time - the late 30s - was the virulently anti-British Joseph Kennedy (patriarch of that family).

And this attitude of semidetached disengagement didn't end with the US entry into WW2.

In Hungary in autumn 1956, one of the reasons - apart from the Suez Crisis (which happened at the exact same time), along with the fact that it was an election year - always distracting - that the US Government was so distracted and disengaged and misinformed about what was really going on in Hungary was that they hadn't replaced their ambassador in Budapest - thus, they had no serious diplomatic presence in Budapest for the entire duration of the crisis, including the prolonged buildup, two revolutions, and the peculiar postscripts.

Last edited:

ardchoille50

macrumors 68020
Feb 6, 2014
Mission of Honor (2010)- Finished David Weber's 12th book in the Honorverse (Honor Harrington Universe), a conflict between the Star Kingdom of Manticore and the old Earth Solarian League. Part 1 of 2. This book feels like the culmination of everything that has come before, full of familiar characters that have been compiled from the beginning, the long story created by the series is amazing if you like the subject matter. This particular chapter includes explosive events, a dynamic story with intrigue, surprises, and millions of casualties (typical for the series ;))

If you've not read this series, it must be started at the beginning. The author has devoted much time to the fictional technology of hyper-space flight, weapons, and the conduct of space combat making it all sound believable, or at least possible! :)

MoH_6.jpg

On to A Rising Thunder!
That looks quite interesting. I will definitely have to look into that series when I'm finished with the Rebellion series is that I'm currently reading.

Edit: I found that on Honor Harrington series (Kindle books) on Amazon and they're attractively priced - the first book is a freebie :)

yaxomoxay

macrumors 604
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
Remind me of when exactly Kennan was arrested; the story concerning the salary amuses but doesn't surprise me.

It was right when Germany declared war on the US, at most a couple of days later, and the order to round up all US diplomats was by Goebbels himself. He describes the anguish of waiting for Hitler's speech at the Reichstag when they had no idea of what would happen.
He also talks about receiving Mr. Joe Kennedy for an informational trip... and that before the meeting Kennan supposed that Joe Kennedy was an ignoramus... of course that "Joe" Kennedy would later became POTUS.

Last edited:

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
It was right when Germany declared war on the US, at most a couple of days later, and the order to round up all US diplomats was by Goebbels himself. He describes the anguish of waiting for Hitler's speech at the Reichstag when they had no idea of what would happen.
He also talks about receiving Mr. Joe Kennedy for an informational trip... and that before meeting Kennan supposed that Joe Kennedy was an ignoramus... of course that "Joe" Kennedy would later became POTUS.

Joseph Kennedy was the US Ambassador to the UK in the late thirties - from 1938 until FDR won his third term as President at the end of 1940.

His eldest son - also called Joseph, the original 'heir apparent' - and groomed for public life - was killed as a serving naval officer flying experimental aircraft over Europe during WW2 in August 1944. The individual who (much later) became POTUS, Jack Kennedy, was the second son.

An (American) account also worth taking a look at - for its caustic insight, and solid sources - in those years is William L. Shirer's "Berlin Diaries".

The self-same William L Shirer, a 'liberal' American journalist (and an excellent one) wrote an outstanding early history of Nazi German "The Rise And Fall Of The Third Reich" - which is also well worth reading.

Last edited:

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
That looks quite interesting. I will definitely have to look into that series when I'm finished with the Rebellion series is that I'm currently reading.

Edit: I found that on Honor Harrington series (Kindle books) on Amazon and they're attractively priced - the first book is a freebie :)

Basilisk Station. :) There are holy crap moments in the space battles. I don't think you'll regret it. Besides the telepathic tree cats, there is one book which includes an alien race (that I recall) but most of it is grounded in the expansion of the human species and the technology is not over the top by any means. For example while there is hyper space travel, and worm hole junctions used to shorten transit time, there is no teleportation. Battles start with extremely long range missiles and switch over to energy weapons close in.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Basilisk Station. :) There are holy crap moments in the space battles. I don't think you'll regret it. Besides the telepathic tree cats, there is one book which includes an alien race (that I recall) but most of it is grounded in the expansion of the human species and the technology is not over the top by any means. For example while there is hyper space travel, and worm hole junctions used to shorten transit time, there is no teleportation. Battles start with extremely long range missiles and switch over to energy weapons close in.

I think some on these threads (such as @SandboxGeneral) have recommended this series: Are they really that good?

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I think some on these threads (such as @SandboxGeneral) have recommended this series: Are they really that good?

That depends on where your tastes lie. Frequently described as a space opera, along the lines of Horatio Hornblower, in space. SciFi, strong female heroine, a large populated galaxie, in depth character development and relationships, complex plots, great dialogue, outstanding battle dynamics and descriptions, a monarchy, religious zealots, shady corporations, genetic slavers, and corrupt governments. Since the first volume is reported to be free, take a chance and checking it out will be the only way to know for sure. It's epic, but I won't guarantee it's for you.

Regarding Basilisk Station it has a long slow buildup to an exciting ending, at least I thought so. :)

The first novel in David Weber's popular[1] Honor Harrington series, On Basilisk Station,[2] follows Commander Honor Harrington and Her Majesty’s light cruiser Fearless during their assignment to the Basilisk system. Though Basilisk Station and the planet of Medusa have become a dumping ground for misfits and rejects from her home star system of Manticore, Honor is determined to discharge her duty regardless of the circumstances.

The story follows Honor and her crew as they deal with the responsibilities of their assignment. When their duty leads them to discover events that would lead to an invasion of Medusa, they have no choice but to act.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
That depends on where your tastes lie. Frequently described as a space opera, along the lines of Horatio Hornblower, in space. SciFi, strong female heroine, a large populated galaxie, in depth character development and relationships, complex plots, great dialogue, outstanding battle dynamics and descriptions, a monarchy, religious zealots, shady corporations, genetic slavers, and corrupt governments. Since the first volume is reported to be free, take a chance and checking it out will be the only way to know for sure. It's epic, but I won't guarantee it's for you.

Regarding Basilisk Station it has a long slow buildup to an exciting ending, at least I thought so. :)

The first novel in David Weber's popular[1] Honor Harrington series, On Basilisk Station,[2] follows Commander Honor Harrington and Her Majesty’s light cruiser Fearless during their assignment to the Basilisk system. Though Basilisk Station and the planet of Medusa have become a dumping ground for misfits and rejects from her home star system of Manticore, Honor is determined to discharge her duty regardless of the circumstances.

The story follows Honor and her crew as they deal with the responsibilities of their assignment. When their duty leads them to discover events that would lead to an invasion of Medusa, they have no choice but to act.

A few people on this thread have recommended it very strongly to me; I like good fantasy, strong heroines, Star Trek, military history (well written), genuine (that is, real life, space travel and space stories), and stories (in fiction) with a good understanding of politics and power.

Hm.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Reading:

Loved Catch 22, the book was better than the movie. :)
[doublepost=1480467651][/doublepost]
A few people on this thread have recommended it very strongly to me; I like good fantasy, strong heroines, Star Trek, military history (well written), genuine (that is, real life, space travel and space stories), and stories (in fiction) with a good understanding of politics and power.

Hm.

I would not describe this as fantasy.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.