Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ThisBougieLife

Suspended
Jan 21, 2016
Northern California
Just started:

Bush by Jean Edward Smith

27276427.jpg

A detailed account of Bush II's presidency. I was alive during it, but I was only 10 when it ended, so I wasn't exactly able to follow it all.

Reactions: JamesMike

Strider64

macrumors 65816
Dec 1, 2015
Suburb of Detroit
No, I don't think that it is an American version of The Lord Of The Rings; the magic system alone is entirely original and internally logically consistent, while the story - especially the first book - is excellent, with well sketched characters, and a thought provoking narrative arc.

I agree the magical aspect of the trilogy is different and the characters searching their souls amongst various social and theology issues is unique, but the overall theme of the books is the same that there's a quest to save the world or the realm. I do say there are some clever twists in Sanderson's Mistborn trilogy that has me go duh that I should had seen that coming, but I gotten so engrossed with the characters themselves that I don't make the connection. I'm almost at the end of the last book of the trilogy and so far it hasn't let me down. I realize not all the issues are going to be resolved (or at least I don't think so) for there are other Mistborn books that follow this trilogy. I would like to see a movie series of "Mistborn" though I wouldn't want them to make it a barf fest. By that I mean there are some scenes they could make gross like the do in horror movies. Though I admit I am biased against horror movies, but I like horror books.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I agree the magical aspect of the trilogy is different and the characters searching their souls amongst various social and theology issues is unique, but the overall theme of the books is the same that there's a quest to save the world or the realm. I do say there are some clever twists in Sanderson's Mistborn trilogy that has me go duh that I should had seen that coming, but I gotten so engrossed with the characters themselves that I don't make the connection. I'm almost at the end of the last book of the trilogy and so far it hasn't let me down. I realize not all the issues are going to be resolved (or at least I don't think so) for there are other Mistborn books that follow this trilogy. I would like to see a movie series of "Mistborn" though I wouldn't want them to make it a barf fest. By that I mean there are some scenes they could make gross like the do in horror movies. Though I admit I am biased against horror movies, but I like horror books.

Ah, yes, @Strider64, but in how many of these books is there not a quest to save the world?

Simply because there is "A Quest", I don't see that as a TLOTR clone. If anything, according to Brandon Sanderson, himself, it was conceived almost as an 'anti' TLOTR, as when he asked of himself what might have happened in a world if Frodo went "bad", - or had kept the Ring for himself - or if Sauron had won? The Lord Ruler came from that sort of imagining.

However, the theological stuff is brilliant, the magic system is stunning (and internally consistent), and the characters are terrific. Moreover, in the first book, especially, I loved the economics and political and social interplay of the Great Families, that was especially well portrayed. And Vin was a wonderful character, and I must say that I liked the way her relationship with Elend was portrayed; loved Sazed as well.

Last edited:

yaxomoxay

macrumors 604
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
I guess it's time for me to begin reading the second tome of Kissinger's memoirs. I expect nothing less than the first volume, a complex and intriguing document.
  • Hardcover: 1283 pages
  • Publisher: Little Brown & Co (T); 1st edition (March 1982)
  • Language: English
  • ISBN-10: 0316285919
  • ISBN-13: 978-0316285919
  • Product Dimensions: 6.6 x 2 x 9.5 inches
  • Shipping Weight: 3.4 pounds

51ugdlYUaRL._SY373_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

AVBeatMan

macrumors 603
Nov 10, 2010
Thought I might ask this here. Any recommendations for a reading light? The kind that sits in the floor behind a chair and shines down over your shoulder?

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
Currently reading a novel by a MR member who I believe is the author and whose name I won't post out of respect and privacy. Though I don't agree with this individual on many things, it's a very good read in a genre of literature I don't often read.
[doublepost=1485075702][/doublepost]
Thought I might ask this here. Any recommendations for a reading light? The kind that sits in the floor behind a chair and shines down over your shoulder?
What is your budget? I'm a fan of the following company's desk lamps.

http://softechled.com/product-category/smart-led-desk-lamp/

Reactions: AVBeatMan

AVBeatMan

macrumors 603
Nov 10, 2010
Currently reading a novel by a MR member who I believe is the author and whose name I won't post out of respect and privacy. Though I don't agree with this individual on many things, it's a very good read in a genre of literature I don't often read.
[doublepost=1485075702][/doublepost]
What is your budget? I'm a fan of the following company's desk lamps.

http://softechled.com/product-category/smart-led-desk-lamp/

Thanks. I'll take a look.

millerj123

macrumors 68030
Mar 6, 2008
I just finished Faith of the Fallen by Terry Goodkind. It runs very similar to the rest of the series.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
A whopping tome - a real door-stopper of a book - arrived this morning having been ordered weeks and weeks ago.

Indeed, around a fortnight ago, I had received the usual feedback form from Amazon (which I couldn't - and didn't - reply to as the book hadn't arrived), followed by an anxious query yesterday from the vendor, wondering whether it had arrived (it hadn't), which I decided to hold off replying on for another few days.

Anyway, the book arrived today. Hefty. Finally. I reassured the vendor that it had arrived safely, and massively.

Called "The Transformation Of The World - A Global History Of The Nineteenth Century" it was written by Jürgen Osterhammel. I am looking forward to reading it.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Started reading 'Crazy Horse and Custer: The Parallel Lives of Two American Warriors' along with my 'Detective Inspector Huss' book.

i've read the Crazy Horse one. brilliant.

I remember coming across a biography of Custer on the shelves of the room a number of us - as junior academics - shared in an ancient university I was teaching in over a decade ago, and leafing through it one evening; the man struck me as having had a preternaturally lucky career until close to the end, and seems to have been a shameless self-publicist, and - possibly - somewhat narcissistic. Would that be an accurate reading?

Last edited:

pachyderm

macrumors G3
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
I remember coming across a biography of Custer on the shelves of the room a number of us - as junior academics - shared in an ancient university I was teaching in over a decade ago, and leafing through it one evening; the man struck me as having had a preternaturally lucky career until close to the end, and seems to have been a seamless self-publicist, and - possibly - somewhat narcissistic. Would that be an accurate reading?

yup.

Your post is one of the most accurate, concise, and readable biographies I've ever read on him! Well done.
[doublepost=1485949313][/doublepost]
Awesome book but will take a toll on you with the massive info of what is going on...

images

I'm actually afraid to read this one...

Reactions: Scepticalscribe
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.