Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kppolich

macrumors 6502a
Nov 28, 2010
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
517LIZzvO3L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

ratzzo

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2011
Madrid
I recently finished Stieg Larsson's Millenium Trilogy and just started The Day of the Jackal by Frederick Forsyth.

millerj123

macrumors 68030
Mar 6, 2008
"The Weight of Blood" by David Daglish. It was dark enough that I'm not sure I want to read the rest of the series.

I also got around to reading "Ptolemy's Gate", book three of Jonathan Stroud's "Bartimaeus Trilogy". The ending was sad, but the series was a fun read.

andalusia

macrumors 68030
Apr 10, 2009
Manchester, UK
I started reading Noughts & Crosses by Malorie Blackman on Monday night. I'm just over halfway through and really enjoying it, it's a pretty good book so far, with interestings concepts and insights to discrimination.

MonksMac

macrumors 6502a
Dec 5, 2005
DFW
Right now, I'm working on Unbroken by Lauren Hillenbrand. So far it's a pretty good read- it's got me hooked!
It's part of my goal to read books and start reviewing them in YouTube videos...
:apple:

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I recently finished Stieg Larsson's Millenium Trilogy and just started The Day of the Jackal by Frederick Forsyth.

I, too, have just recently re-read Steig Larsson's Millenium trilogy (and still love it; Lisbet Salander is one of the most original protagonists I have come across in a long time); I read Frederick Forsyth's The Day of the Jackal a good many years ago, and must say I found his research terrific, his plotting intriguing, but his characters weak).

At the moment, I am re-reading Tulipomania, by Mike Dash, an extremely interesting (and very well-written) history book about the (economic) bubble and consequent crash in the Dutch tulip futures market in the mid 1630s. Fascinating, and thought-provoking. And a bit too relevant and close to the proverbial bone, given the current economic disaster (largely self-inflicted, alas) facing some of the peripheral countries in the EU.

Cheers

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I, too, have just recently re-read Steig Larsson's Millenium trilogy (and still love it; Lisbet Salander is one of the most original protagonists I have come across in a long time)

I don't know if there was a translation problem, but with all the elements of a thriller, I thought it could have been more thrilling. ;) However I thought the 2nd and 3rd books got better and I finished them. I've watched the two original Swedish (subtitled) movies, which were ok. I'm wondering how the Daniel Craig movie will compare?

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I don't know if there was a translation problem, but with all the elements of a thriller, I thought it could have been more thrilling. ;) However I thought the 2nd and 3rd books got better and I finished them. I've watched the two original Swedish (subtitled) movies, which were ok. I'm wondering how the Daniel Craig movie will compare?

Agree that the first book was a bit slow initially, and took a while to warm up, but then it got a lot better. When I first read them, I was (quite literally) up half the night reading; I simply could not put them down - over a number of nights - and spent the next days at work smothering yawns. Part of the attraction was the fact there were so many strong female characters; quite often, thrillers are good on plot, but lousy on characterisation, especially female characterisation, as many women in such works are trite clichés.

I have rarely liked movie adaptations of books I have loved, as movies inevitably cut out a lot of nuance and sometimes miss the point of the book; the adaptation of The Name of The Rose was a rare exception. Although I have not seen the Swedish versions, I've been told they are pretty good, and quite faithful to the books, so I'll keep an eye out for them.

Not sure about Hollywood, the undoubted talents of Daniel Craig notwithstanding. In general, the classic Hollywood treatment of books leaves a lot to be desired.

Cheers

DewGuy1999

macrumors 68040
Jan 25, 2009
Loved it.

Reading The Edge by Jeffrey Deaver.

Only about a 1/4th of the way through "The Burning Wire", but as usual with a Lincoln Rhyme book I'm enjoying it. So far I've only read Deaver's Lincoln Rhyme series, but one of these days (probably more like years) when I get caught up with my "to be read" pile(s) I'd like to try some of his other books.

quagmire

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2004
Car Guys vs Bean Counters By Bob Lutz.

The stuff that was going on at GM when Lutz returned in 2001 was just incredibly stupid.....

9695483-large.jpg

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I just finished The Stars My Destination a SciFi book written in the 1950s. If feels like 1950's SF, introduces the notion of "jaunting" but is also an example of where in one specific instance, real technology has exceeded science fiction imagination. However, despite this, it is a good read and includes a terrific ending. And it was really interesting is that at the end of the book there was a short essay on the baggage of 1950's SciFi and how this story overcomes it. :)

Btw, I can hold up a most excellent example of 50s SciFi which has stood the test of time: The Martian Chronicles by Ray Bradbury. If you have not all ready, treat yourself! :)

smsdlg.gif

51GV5WNZTKL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

skunk

macrumors G4
Jun 29, 2002
Republic of Ukistan
I just finished The Stars My Destination a SciFi book written in the 1950s. If feels like 1950's SF, introduces the notion of "jaunting" but is also an example of where in one specific instance, real technology has exceeded science fiction imagination. However, despite this, it is a good read and includes a terrific ending.

You should read The Demolished Man too, if you like Alfred Bester.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Only about a 1/4th of the way through "The Burning Wire", but as usual with a Lincoln Rhyme book I'm enjoying it. So far I've only read Deaver's Lincoln Rhyme series, but one of these days (probably more like years) when I get caught up with my "to be read" pile(s) I'd like to try some of his other books.

I got hooked on His Lincoln Rhyme series too. I then went back and read his others. All very good.

Sanveann

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2009
Michigan
"America Pacifica" by Anna North -- dystopian novel. Compelling storyline so far, but the characters badly need fleshing out.

small

Rowf

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2011
Talisman - Stephen King/Peter Straub.

Started off well but seems to have become a bit rambling in the second part, somewhat over-descriptive.
I'll keep on going and see if it picks up again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.