Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Some brief research on my part indicates he did visit North America and as a child was an avid reader of Wild West stories. :) For those who have not read A Study in Scarlet, these days I'd recommend downloading the entire Sherlock series. In iBooks, versions of it range from free to very inexpensive. For this particular story, it's composed of two parts. Part 1 is in London. Part 2 starts in the U.S. West and for a moment you might think you've started a new story that has nothing to do with an English detective in London. I don't know if it is stated anywhere if he is English vs Scottish, as the author is.

(Dickens.Stanford.Edu)

Very nice quote, and thanks for posting it.

I hadn't known that, but it doesn't really surprise me. In any case, to dream of creating and crafting 'well researched historical romances idealising British history' is by no means the worst vocation ever conceived by a well known writer!

tacotester1

macrumors member
Dec 19, 2013
just read The Art of War again

probably check out the 48 laws of power again too

also reading nutrition reference book

:cool:

Dontazemebro

macrumors 68020
Jul 23, 2010
I dunno, somewhere in West Texas
What Book Are You Reading?

Can anyone recommend a good book on the rise and fall of the Roman Empire? It's a topic I've been vaguely interested in for a while but never got around to pursuing.

I'm still enjoying the "Mistborn" series but I'd like a change of pace.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.

LadyX

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2012
What Book Are You Reading?

Has ayone read Stephen E. Ambrose's Undaunted Courage: Meriwether Lewis, Thomas Jefferson, and the Opening of the American West? It seems really interesting.

SandPebble

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2012
Has ayone read Stephen E. Ambrose's Undaunted Courage: Meriwether Lewis, Thomas Jefferson, and the Opening of the American West? It seems really interesting.

I read it a few years ago. An informative and interesting book and I recommend it.

LadyX

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2012
I read it a few years ago. An informative and interesting book and I recommend it.

I've been wanting to read about the Lewis and Clark Expedition for some time. I've searched and found a lot of books but Ambrose's book seems like the best one. I don't know a lot about the expedition; just the basic information so I'm interested to read about the journey. Thank you for recommending it!

LadyX

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2012
Just started ...

The_Giver.jpg

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
that's what I thought...

My take on it was that it actually is a good story, you just have to get used to the slightly different style at first (compared to how most contemporary novels are written). For example, each chapter initially seems to introduce a lot of different characters, too many to keep track of, and I found it confusing. But, a lot of them aren't going to survive for more than a chapter or two, so after awhile you realize that there are just a few main characters threading through the book that you follow. Once I figured out the style, I thought it was a great, epic-scale story.

Also, if you've ever seen the movie Red Cliff, it's fun to see how the book is similar/different in comparison.

That's what I thought from the samples I've read.

I've got the international edition of Red Cliff on my iMac here...although no device to watch it on at the moment. Hate watching films on the computer itself.

Speaking of books, started Toby Venables' The Hunter of Sherwood: Knight of Shadows: A Guy of Gisborne story. Long winded title, excellent twist on Robin Hood lore with the focus on Guy and his clandestine work for prince John.

And in comics, I'm rereading all three Star Wars Dawn of the Jedi books (save for the as of yet unreleased final issue :( ) again. It's my favorite bit of Star Wars since the original film. Hope to heck Marvel picks this up with Ostrander and Duursema back at the helm.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
by clauswitz (sp?) or tsun tze(sp?) =)

Actually, I have both of them on my shelves, each bound in a lovely hard back edition. As it happens, I read Karl von Clausewitz's 'On War' when I was a student (although I was given the hard back version, years later, as a Christmas present by my brother's partner); Sun Tzu, I read years later, and subsequently treated myself to a lovely hard back version.

pachyderm

macrumors G4
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
Actually, I have both of them on my shelves, each bound in a lovely hard back edition. As it happens, I read Karl von Clausewitz's 'On War' when I was a student (although I was given the hard back version, years later, as a Christmas present by my brother's partner); Sun Tzu, I read years later, and subsequently treated myself to a lovely hard back version.

I have the Sun Tzu version...

LadyX

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2012
Just started ...

I finished this one yesterday. A thought provoking and extremely interesting novel. The story ends abruptly and I kind of wished it were longer but nevertheless, the ending was satisfying. If you're looking for a quick and easy read, I recommend it.

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
The Girl with the Golden Eyes and other shorter stories by Balzac. The Unknown Masterpiece being my favorite so far amongst those.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.