Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WalnutSpice

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 21, 2015
Canton, Oh
I'm planning on fixing up all three iBook G3s. Cleaning them, new hard drives and a ghetto fix on the GPU. I'm going to keep one and sell the other two. But I was wondering, what can I do with an iBook G3? It's the later one that looks closer to an iBook G4. 256MB RAM, 16MB VRAM, 700MHz, 20GB HDD. I think I have a 512MB stick I can pop in as well. But I can't find anything to do with it. The last time I had a G3 they were a lot more supported than they are now. I can't even web browse at all, won't connect to my wifi and on ethernet it just gets very hot and very very slow. I just gotta say it's incredible how much better the G4 is.

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004
It will run OS9 natively, so is ideal for apps running under that OS as many have issues running in Classic mode. Old Mac games, too. People bought and used laptops before the internet really became a thing.

ThisOldMacHead

macrumors member
Dec 17, 2007
South Jersey
I can't even web browse at all, won't connect to my wifi and on ethernet it just gets very hot and very very slow. I just gotta say it's incredible how much better the G4 is.

You need to set your router up for 2.4GHz 802.11b and set security to either WEP or no password while you use it. If you have a newer AirPort Extreme, just set up an open Guest network and you're good to go. With a ram upgrade, the machine will run Tiger comfortably, although at 700MHz, OS 9 will absolutely scream.

tevion5

macrumors 68000
Jul 12, 2011
Ireland
I'm planning on fixing up all three iBook G3s. Cleaning them, new hard drives and a ghetto fix on the GPU. I'm going to keep one and sell the other two. But I was wondering, what can I do with an iBook G3? It's the later one that looks closer to an iBook G4. 256MB RAM, 16MB VRAM, 700MHz, 20GB HDD. I think I have a 512MB stick I can pop in as well. But I can't find anything to do with it. The last time I had a G3 they were a lot more supported than they are now. I can't even web browse at all, won't connect to my wifi and on ethernet it just gets very hot and very very slow. I just gotta say it's incredible how much better the G4 is.

I got that exact model of iBook for €1 on eBay a while ago. I set it up for my mother for general use. She uses it for word documents and light Internet browsing. Currently runs tiger.

She is a patient person however.

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
They're great mobile gaming machines for old OS 9 era games(which-to me-have more appeal than modern games, although admittedly that's what I grew with).

The TiBook is-to me-the "gold standard" of mobile OS 9 gaming, but a snow iBook G3 isn't far behind. As a general rule, Tis tend to have better GPUs(although late iBooks have better GPUs than early Tis) although for the type of stuff I'm talking about a Rage 128 is high tech.

I think @eyoungren uses one as a Time Machine server. Initial backups may take a while with the 100baseT ethernet and if you're using a USB external(use FW if possible), but "maintenance" backups shouldn't take that long.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I think @eyoungren uses one as a Time Machine server. Initial backups may take a while with the 100baseT ethernet and if you're using a USB external(use FW if possible), but "maintenance" backups shouldn't take that long.
I used to. That job is for my QS now though. However, the two TM drives failed so it hasn't happened in quite some time.

I traded all three iBook G3s I had to RedCroissant plus $50 for the Quicksilver. Two of those iBooks went elsewhere when Red traded them for something else (Altemose has one).

128keaton

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2013
Lol. I think Gav still has my MacBook Pro that I sent him (for the low price of $200) since he spilt coffee on his. He ended up getting a nice logic board upgrade. Late 2008 -> Early 2009. And he got a new top case, screen, etc. I think someone here sent me something else. I can't remember. I think at one point bunn was going to send me a replacement key for my iBook (which i haven't fired up in a year or so)

128keaton

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2013
Crap-I forgot about that! It's still kicking around in my car(there's also a 12" 1.33 G4 for altemose in there).

BTW, if @LightBulbFun has it cracked(I'm testing this evening), you can always install Leopard on it :)
Its a G4 with Leopard already on it :D. I have a page for my Macs at http://128keaton.com/hardware. I need to do a proper writeup on some. I think the next part I'm on the lookout for is a 12" keyboard. My ZZZZZZZZ key doesnzzzzzzzzzzz stop being prezzssed. So it looks like what I typed. It sucks when typing passwords: abc12zzzzzzzz3.

Cox Orange

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2010
You need to set your router up for 2.4GHz 802.11b and set security to either WEP or no password while you use it. If you have a newer AirPort Extreme, just set up an open Guest network and you're good to go. With a ram upgrade, the machine will run Tiger comfortably, although at 700MHz, OS 9 will absolutely scream.
Am I right that this WEP restriction only applies, when he uses OS 9? If he was able to use Tiger he could do "modern" password protection. I don't know what encryption/password standards 10.3 included, so, if Tiger should be to slow for him, he could maybe try 10.3 (with all the shortcomings of limited software support vs 10.4).

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
Am I right that this WEP restriction only applies, when he uses OS 9? If he was able to use Tiger he could do "modern" password protection. I don't know what encryption/password standards 10.3 included, so, if Tiger should be to slow for him, he could maybe try 10.3 (with all the shortcomings of limited software support vs 10.4).

Under Tiger(may late versions of Panther) you can do WPA/TKIP. Many newer routers are WPA/AES or WPA2, which the Airport card will not connect to(Airport Extreme cards are fine).

I can't even get an airport card to see the WPA2 enterprise/802.11x networks at work.

Reactions: eyoungren

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
But I was wondering, what can I do with an iBook G3?
Well…nothing I can think of that does not involve guns, bombs or kicks down sharp inclines. But that's just me.

Sorry, just don't care for iBooks - even G4 iBooks. ;)

WalnutSpice

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 21, 2015
Canton, Oh
Under Tiger(may late versions of Panther) you can do WPA/TKIP. Many newer routers are WPA/AES or WPA2, which the Airport card will not connect to(Airport Extreme cards are fine).

I can't even get an airport card to see the WPA2 enterprise/802.11x networks at work.
Tiger 10.4.11 on my PowerBook G4 works just fine on my WPA 2 WiFi. I think the iBook just has an old outdated Airport card. PowerBook uses Extreme. I think the iBook just says AirPort on it.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
I traded all three iBook G3s I had to RedCroissant plus $50 for the Quicksilver. Two of those iBooks went elsewhere when Red traded them for something else (Altemose has one).

I passed that iBook along to bunnspecial and he is going to give one of his iBooks as well!

Stuff gets around in this community :)

I think I have one now

Take good care of it!

QSDP-User

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2015
California, USA
What can I do with an iBook G3?

I'm not personally familiar with the iBook series (I prefer desktops & towers),
but I remember back in the day when Apple ran TV ads that made iBooks look cool & useful
while making their male owners look either goofy or worth a sucker punch by Air Marshal Liam Neeson ;)

Baby Jack iPhoto:

Middle Seat:

1st iPod TV Ad:

Last edited:

128keaton

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2013

but I remember back in the day when Apple ran TV ads that made iBooks look cool & useful
while making their male owners look either goofy or worth a sucker punch by Air Marshal Liam Neeson ;)

Baby Jack iPhoto:

Middle Seat:

1st iPod TV Ad:
Truly classic ads. I'm really excited about getting my G5 iMac working for that cool "from the creators of the iPod" deal.

seveej

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2009
Helsinki, Finland
I have a G3/500, which I use whenever I need to take a laptop into truly rugged terrain, or whenever I go somewhere where I think a more modern computer getting nicked is a significant chance/risk.

Naturally this is as I have two more modern and powerful laptops so I can be choosy.

The G3 ibook I'm talking about used to be an acclaimed writer's travelmachine until a couple of year ago (when I got it)...

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK

Baby Jack iPhoto:

Middle Seat:

1st iPod TV Ad:

Hilarious ads....funny how Apple's notion of 'cool' people is diametrically opposed to real cool people :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.