Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Vudoo

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2008
Dallas Metroplex
I used to have a Manfrotto, but I found it to be too heavy so I never carried it. I replaced it with a Gitzo 6x carbon fiber legs and Markins ballhead and now much happier.

jabbott

macrumors 6502
Nov 23, 2009
To protect the legs from what? I always thought leg padding was for metal tripods that get very cold to the touch in low temperatures. Why would you need that on a CF tripod?

I wrapped it to protect against dents, scratches and other forms of abrasion that CF is still susceptible to (I know as my CF road bike is pretty dinged up :p). When hiking I am usually around rocky terrain so if I accidentally drop my tripod the cork provides at least some defense. I also usually keep a padded bag for the RRS BH-40 head on when not shooting.

Here is a photo of how the Gitzo GT-2531 looks with the handlebar cork applied and w/o legs extended - note that the center column is hiding behind the front leg:
tripod.jpg

Designer Dale, let us know what you end up getting as a replacement tripod.

monokakata

macrumors 68020
May 8, 2008
Ithaca, NY
I'm following this thread with interest, because I'm looking to replace an old Manfrotto 3221 green with a lighter set of sticks. It's still working fine, but it's heavy.

And I can't resist . . . you want heavy? Here's an image (circa 1973) of my tripod holdings when I was doing research in the southwestern Pacific rainforest (and had hair). The left one (with the theodolite mounted) is wooden. Durable, stable, very heavy, and remarkably hard on the shoulder when moving from mark to mark and slogging back to the village. I still have it.

The smaller one on the right is a Linhof, pressed into service to hang a plumb bob over the backsight stake. I can't remember the model. I still have it too, but the leg clamps are worn and loose and it only has sentimental value. When it wasn't out surveying, I mounted a Nikon F on it. I had a Reflex-Nikkor 1000 f/11 and I guess these days I'd say that the Linhof was too light for it, but with Tri-X @ ASA1200 it worked well enough.

Attachments

• bougainville 1973.jpg
    bougainville 1973.jpg
    128.1 KB · Views: 92

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
I'll add my own rig for your consideration, though it does exceed your budget. I use the RRS TVC-33 with BHS-55/BHS-40, depending on lens and wimberley sidekick for birding. Good stuff. Very light (4.25 lbs without head), will hold 50lbs and has really been a great companion - absolutely rock steady. Not cheap, but not something I'll need to replace soon either and it does allow for acquiring larger lenses later as my budget allows.

If you haven't read Thom Hogan's article on tripods, might be worth a look.

Can't go wrong with a Mountaineer. I also prefer 3 over 4 section, less hassle and in some cases (0531/0541) the bottom section of the 4-piece is thinner, more likely to flex.
Had a GT1541 as an all-around, very practical for those who can only have one set of sticks. I never use the columns, I take them out to maximize rigidity and save weight.
I've since replaced it with two others: a GT0531 strictly for long hikes in the mountains, and a RRS TVC-33, for video and heavy artillery stills. As much as I've liked my Gitzos, IMO the ReallyRightStuff tripods are amazing (and priced to match!)

Really Right Stuff, Markins and Arca-Smith products are in a class by themselves. Too bad they have prices to match...

Induro CT-213 legs with Manfrotto 498R2 ball head.

Sturdy, light-weight, and didn't break the bank. Highly recommended.
Nice to hear from someone outside of the Gitzo/Manfrotto club. I saw the name Induro on the B&H product page. I'll look it up.

I'm following this thread with interest, because I'm looking to replace an old Manfrotto 3221 green with a lighter set of sticks. It's still working fine, but it's heavy.

And I can't resist . . . you want heavy? Here's an image (circa 1973) of my tripod holdings when I was doing research in the southwestern Pacific rainforest (and had hair). The left one (with the theodolite mounted) is wooden. Durable, stable, very heavy, and remarkably hard on the shoulder when moving from mark to mark and slogging back to the village. I still have it.

I had an old Velbon that looked like the yours in the photo. It weighed around 8 pounds. The photo reminded me that I was once young. I had hair like that, too!

My current rig. Manfrotto 055XB PRO in Aluminum.

Dale

Attachments

• 504846.jpg
    504846.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 84

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
Update

I decided on the carbon fiber version of my old tripod, the Manfrotto 055XBPRO after handling it along with several Gitzos. Weights were about the same but I decided I liked the flip locks better than the twist type. The flip locks on the Manfrotto are either off or on and it isn't possible to over tighten them like the twist versions on the Gitzo. I was able to save enough money to add a used Gitzo 1780QR ball head and few things I will need for my 7d like a CF card and reader.

Old: tripod, ball head.

New: tripod, ball head

I gain a column that will switch to the horizontal but lose a release plate that will fit an adapter for my R-Strap.

Thanks for all the help. Guess I have to decide to sell stuff now...:)

Dale

emieczko

macrumors newbie
Aug 10, 2011
Have a look at Feisol, while you're at it. I spent months trying to figure out what I wanted vs. what I wanted to spend. In the end, I still ended up spending more than double my original budget (which was unrealistically low for what I wanted.) btw, that Thom Hogan article that r.harris1 linked to is a good read and also a big part of the reason I expanded my budget.

After using my Feisol for more than a month now, though, I am extremely happy.

Specifically, I went with:
Feisol CT-3472 Elite Tripod
Feisol LB-7572 Leveling Base
Really Right Stuff BH-55LR Ball Head​

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
Have a look at Feisol, while you're at it. I spent months trying to figure out what I wanted vs. what I wanted to spend. In the end, I still ended up spending more than double my original budget (which was unrealistically low for what I wanted.) btw, that Thom Hogan article that r.harris1 linked to is a good read and also a big part of the reason I expanded my budget.

After using my Feisol for more than a month now, though, I am extremely happy.

Specifically, I went with:
Feisol CT-3472 Elite Tripod
Feisol LB-7572 Leveling Base
Really Right Stuff BH-55LR Ball Head​

Thanks for this info. A forum member who shoots astrological photos has FEISOL equipment and likes it, too. It was on my list of stuff to look at, but I eventually decided to go with the Manfrotto and Gitzo. Something that I have noticed in this thread is that everyone is happy with their choice of tripod and head. It just goes to show that these upper tier companies all make good stuff.

Dale

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.