Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

coolbreeze

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 20, 2003
UT
I've worked for several places, and have always been given (leased, whatever) Windows laptops (mostly Thinkpads). And everywhere I've worked shudders at the idea of MacOS...it's just not practical in the business world (no flames, you know what I mean for big companies).

So those of you who use a work provided Apple, tell me where you work (or what you do, etc...I'll never reveal where I work LOL!!). If I said where I work, that might cause some problems!!

So...

danman

macrumors member
Jul 5, 2002
Where I used to work there was always a bowl of fruit on the table in reception for anyone.

Apples, Oranges, Bananas.

WinterMute

Moderator emeritus
Jan 19, 2003
London, England
I work for Thames Valley University, we've run our entire Music Tech dept on Macs for 8 years, all our desktop office machines are now G4's (older studio kit) or new 17' iMacs, several of us have Ti PB's (I started that with a Pismo) and they've just bought me a 17' PB to replace my ageing Ti 400...

I like working here:D

Now, where's my bloody iPod you b*****ds....;)

hugemullens

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2002
Michigan
I'm a student at Michigan Tech University and they provide theyre instructors with ibooks and emacs now days. The labs are running on sun's with solaris but most all the instructors are using macs.

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
secondary schools are dell for the most part from what i know

the local community college in my area used to have macs in the art department and business computing department, but now the latter is all dell

the 4 yr college has some g3s, imacs, but mostly pcs of all brands

one of the local grad schools is all dell

my wife's work uses less than half macs and lease g4s and nec monitors for publishing and graphics work...most of the rest of the company is pcs...again dell

lmalave

macrumors 68000
Nov 8, 2002
Chinatown NYC
When I worked at a web site development place (Razorfish), all the graphic designers and some of the HTML coders used Macs. All the programmers used Windows or Linux, though (the servers were Solaris or Linux). I believe that nowadays, though, you would have seen some programmers opting for OS X. I know I would've :D

iconrad

macrumors member
Dec 8, 2002
Canonsburg, PA
My high school has about 4 or 5 computer labs with dells, and they just bought all the teachers a new dell laptop but the good news is thy just put out a bid for 30 dual 1.43 GHz P4 They will help to teach a new class next year, Web Development. I only wish I wasn't a senior. also our school has air port base station that is close to the cafeteria and we will be getting at least one iBook cart. So I imagine that more and more of this school district will get macs.:D

zarathustra

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2002
Boston
We have about 200+ various macs on site. I work on a quicksilver, but we have everything from blueberry iMacs to mirror drive door PMs. Our servers are xServe/various Linux, Unix and Microsoft servers.

It's bliss, what else can I say...

pretentious

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2002
"Reality"
As scary as it might sound...Microsoft.

What, did you think they made Office on a PC??

(or how about the duh answer: Apple):D

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
Originally posted by iconrad
My high school has about 4 or 5 computer labs with dells, and they just bought all the teachers a new dell laptop but the good news is thy just put out a bid for 30 dual 1.43 GHz P4 They will help to teach a new class next year, Web Development. I only wish I wasn't a senior. also our school has air port base station that is close to the cafeteria and we will be getting at least one iBook cart. So I imagine that more and more of this school district will get macs.:D

i didn't know that web development was good with a mac...many pc types swear by pc for web stuff but do admit macs are good for photoshop, quark, and illustrator stuff

the jc here has all dells for the web publishing class and before that, i think they had compaqs...i don't think that they ever used macs that i know of

i am going to try and get into an illustrator class...just one scheduled and the school never seems to think it is important enough to teach more than just a small handful of mac classes

the department head also happens to be the only teacher most of the time and he is also the lab tech...the school won't hire a second full time person in the mac/art department and the school has more than 10,000 students:rolleyes:

ps - i don't know what the fascination in our county is with dells and education...i was an onsite dell tech three years ago and while dells are better than compaqs (who i also worked for), they are not as good as sony but a heck of a lot cheaper

personally, i think hp and toshiba are as good as dell, even though they are a little bit more pricey (by less than 10 percent)

i thinks dell's business model is what is what makes them number one in computer hardware since sony, apple, alienware, and others clearly make a better, but not cheaper, product

lmalave

macrumors 68000
Nov 8, 2002
Chinatown NYC
Originally posted by jefhatfield

i didn't know that web development was good with a mac...many pc types swear by pc for web stuff but do admit macs are good for photoshop, quark, and illustrator stuff

the jc here has all dells for the web publishing class and before that, i think they had compaqs...i don't think that they ever used macs that i know of

i am going to try and get into an illustrator class...just one scheduled and the school never seems to think it is important enough to teach more than just a small handful of mac classes

the department head also happens to be the only teacher most of the time and he is also the lab tech...the school won't hire a second full time person in the mac/art department and the school has more than 10,000 students:rolleyes:

ps - i don't know what the fascination in our county is with dells and education...i was an onsite dell tech three years ago and while dells are better than compaqs (who i also worked for), they are not as good as sony but a heck of a lot cheaper

personally, i think hp and toshiba are as good as dell, even though they are a little bit more pricey (by less than 10 percent)

i thinks dell's business model is what is what makes them number one in computer hardware since sony, apple, alienware, and others clearly make a better, but not cheaper, product

The only inherent advantage is that almost all web development is done for IE on Windows, since that is 90% of the market. It just makes testing easier to develop in the same platform that you are deploying to.

In terms of tools, though, Macs are great because you get everything: everything from graphic design to programming. Even propietary tools like Flash work great on the Mac. I guess you can't program ActiveX, but who'd want to do that :rolleyes:

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Uh, this is weird, I posted to this thread a couple days ago, but then it disappeared and now its back. Oh well.

I've had 3 macs over the years at my job, the latest being a TiPB.

D

MacRoni

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2002
I used to work for CrapUSA and could get a pretty decent discount from them on all Apple stuff...

Maclicious

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2002
Seattle
Wizards mac

Wizards of the Coast (a division of Hasbro) is heavily mac, especially in the graphic design department, but also among authors, designers, and editors. If you're a designer or editor, you get to choose which platform you'd like, mac or PC. Strangely, some still choose PC when they could have a mac.

Of course, with games being important to this company, the 'computer lab' is all PC, in order to play all the latest PC games.

benixau

macrumors 65816
Oct 9, 2002
Sydney, Australia
Re: Re: *duh*

Originally posted by SoonToGetAMac

How much $$ do they save on new Macs?

less than education buyers. more than nothing.

it is ok to work for apple if you just want discounts. i have heard though, that they also get discounts for .mac?? they also get software discounts on apple software like education buyers do.

could anyone comment on the .mac deal?? thanx

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.