Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Witch!!! It's a free window/application switcher. It's similar to Apple's Application switcher but it lets you use the option-tab key combination to scroll through open apps and windows and then close, minimize, hide them just like you can from within the Application switcher. There's more though you can also unminimize a window from within it without having to go to the dock.

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/25871

JensOffersen

macrumors newbie
Jul 9, 2005
Rip ALERT

coolosxapps.com said:
I decided to take my bookmarks live and created a site dedicated to the apple and OSX user community. 100's of cool osx apps...and more everyday as I have a HUGE list. Sites like this board kept me informed, now it's time to give back...http://www.coolosxapps.com
gotta go eat an apple...

You forgot to mention to everybody here that you stole the list of "bookmarks" and the name here

The real site is www.coolosxapps.net people! Don't support that theif with his site full of google ads and banners!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

jsalzer

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2004
I knew it.

JensOffersen said:
The real site is www.coolosxapps.net people! Don't support that theif with his site full of google ads and banners!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

Ya know - I knew I felt dirty when I looked at the link originally posted. So I closed that window and waited for someone who knows more to post something before I, in any way, clicked on something that would give a thief money.

I think it was when a few descriptions were in the first person ("our app"), despite the fact that the poster said he was just collecting bookmarks.

Thanks for the quick catch!

:)

javiercr

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2005
London
Frisco said:
Quicksilver is amazing! It should be built into OS X. Open any application in a second!

I think all the macs in the mac shop in London have it!

i think it's going to be a leopard feature :)

stridey

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2005
Massachusetts, Connecticut
javiercr said:
I think all the macs in the mac shop in London have it!

i think it's going to be a leopard feature :)

While that would be awesome, it'll never happen. The average user is mostly mouse-based, and QS would just confuse them. Doesn't really matter, you can still install it yourself. :p

bellis1

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2003
Quicksilver

This Quicksilver program is indeed amazing. I cannot live without it because:

1. I can open apps with just a few keys.
2. I can send short emails amazingly fast without opening anything else
3. And I can set quick notes with ical reminders in seconds (using applescript)
4. And I can get to bookmarks in just seconds

-I'm sure there are other things that I have yet to discover and adapt into my workflow. Does anyone have a good workflow to write quick notes in quicksilver and have it store/send it to another useful app I can search later? Maybe even send webpages, pdfs, etc. that I don't have time to immediately review. Are there any plugines for notational velocity, mac journal, notebook, etc?

And I just got an app today that is fantastic for adding comments to individual emails in mail. It is great for project management and use with spotlight. It's called MailTags.

cb911

macrumors 601
Mar 12, 2002
BrisVegas, Australia
i'm not sure if anyone mentioned this app before.. but damn it deserves all the mentions it can get.

CoverFlow

CoverFlow.jpg

It allows you to browse your albums complete with beautiful artwork pulled from any sources it can find, whether that’s buried in your song tags, collected via Synergy, or looked up on Amazon.

a really great app. even thought it's purpose is simple (to browse you music collection) it does it beautifully. :D

evilpenguin21

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 16, 2002
I found some great MP3 tagging tools over the weekend.

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/22813 - ieatBrainz - This a great app that uses audio finger prints (not 100% sure what that means, but it works) to search the music brains database to identify your music. I even had a few jazz songs that I had labeled as unknown that iEatBrainz actually showed me the name for the first time.

http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/12083 - Fetch Art - The perfect buddy for iEatBrainz. Once iEatBrainz has tagged all your music, Fetch Art will use the tags and download the album covers from amazon.

ohcrap

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2005
evilpenguin21 said:

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/22813 - ieatBrainz - This a great app that uses audio finger prints (not 100% sure what that means, but it works) to search the music brains database to identify your music. I even had a few jazz songs that I had labeled as unknown that iEatBrainz actually showed me the name for the first time.

http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/12083 - Fetch Art - The perfect buddy for iEatBrainz. Once iEatBrainz has tagged all your music, Fetch Art will use the tags and download the album covers from amazon.
Good God, that's incredible. Great find! :D

jsalzer

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2004
Version Confusion

pubwvj said:
Fortunately this is not true. Carbon Copy Cloner has been updated to work with Tiger.

Thanks, Bud. Someone else actually pointed that out to me on another thread. The funny part is, the version I had and the newer version from the web site had the same version number. But, luckily, the "newer" one works - making me very happy.

Though I hope the wonderful author is a little more careful to update version numbers when he makes changes in the future. ;)

dogbone

macrumors 68020
X-Assist

I did a search of the thread and X-Assist did not come up. Which I find hard to believe as it is without any doubt the most useful piece of code ever. Before Active-X I was morose, curmudgeonly, and irascible. I'm still all those things of course but now I have X-Assist so I don't care.

It resurrects the old OS9 application switcher on the menu bar.

Hasn't been updated for a long time but it works with Panther and Tiger fine.

http://members.ozemail.com.au/~pli/x-assist/

nw43

macrumors regular
May 8, 2005
UK
cb911 said:
i'm not sure if anyone mentioned this app before.. but damn it deserves all the mentions it can get.

CoverFlow

CoverFlow.jpg

a really great app. even thought it's purpose is simple (to browse you music collection) it does it beautifully. :D

Wow. Just found this and I think it's great - reminds me of those jukeboxes you sometimes get in pubs where you can cycle through albums.

I guess the next step would be to allow you to play your music through it - now that would be seriously cool. EDIT: Just realised you can play the album by double-clicking!

buckuxc

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2003
iEatBrainz

While I agree that iEatBrainz is an awesome program (I have 6800 songs and/or other such media in iTunes), you have to be careful and pay attention while letting it tag songs. I have had certain songs that were correct - usually non-album songs, "live" versions and such, but other regular songs too - changed and tagged as completely wrong (i'm talking like some acoustic song by whomever being tagged as leann rhimes or something strange like that). iEatBrainz database isn't 100% right now and even if it gets there the audio fingerprint is not foolproof. Just a word to the wise.

sps

evilpenguin21 said:

CompC

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2005
Shapeshifter v2.2 - Lets you use themes on your computer; you can customise theme, iconset, curserset (if you have mightymouse installed), and wallpaper. Opens .gui files

MightyMouse v1.2.2 - Lets you change the theme of you cursors. Some shapeshifter themes come with cursorsets that match the GUI.

ClearDock v1.3 - Makes the background of the dock clear or changes dock/application triangle color.

Konfabulator v? - Lets you run widgets. Similar to dashboard but has been around longer and can run in operating systems older than Tiger.

Amnesty Widget Browser v.? - Lets you run Tiger dashboard widgets in Panther or earlier

LaunchBar - Quickly search through places such as your Safari history or you computer by pressing cmd+space and then typing a short description of what you want

KONFABULATOR WIDGETS

Gir_Desktop! - puts Gir from the Nickelodian show Invader Zim on your screen. Double click to hear a quote.

iChat Bezal - tells you when a user signs off or on in the form of a bezal

iChat Patroller - puts a small list of people in your buddy list on the side of the screen and a green, grey, or red bubble to indicate thier status.

rickvanr

macrumors 68040
Apr 10, 2002
Brockville
MacBandit said:
How do you mean?

I want podcast in podcasts and music to be separate in Library.

I usually just put a song from my library, and let it play down, and I hate when one of my news podcasts or some other podcast comes on, and it's 20 minutes of talk when I'm not in the mood for talk.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.