Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

humpbacktwale

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 20, 2019
While running the command sudo lsof -i in the command prompt, I got the message "sudo ignoring time stamp from the future", and then once I had entered my password, I noticed a process I hadn't seen before, master. Checking the launchd log, as the process had terminated by the time I checked activity monitor, its file path is com.apple.postfix.master. The following were displayed for master in the command prompt using sudo lsof -i:

• TCP localhost:smtp (LISTEN)- Twice
  • TCP localhost:submission (LISTEN)- Twice
Now as I understand it master(postfix) is related to mail. However I have no mail server or settings configured for my mac, that I know of anyway. The only recent change is I updated to Sonoma 14.3 a few days ago.

Neither the message regarding timestamps, or master with those listening ports have ever appeared for me before. The only other thing I can think of is I had just connected to my network, but I don't see how that could be related tbh. Additionally, a restart to try reproduce the issue yielded nothing.

Does anyone know what could cause the first message, and why master launched when it never has before? Thank you.

Edit: I'll also add that after the timestamp message appeared, I had to enter my password again for sudo despite having entered it already.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.